"Mystery" Amp
Jan 16, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #451 of 570
I just got one today to go with my iPod 5.5g and super.fi 5eb, my question is if the amp needs to be broken in as the headphones did (and with the ebs, the break-in made it night and day)? Thanks to anyone who can help, I love the size and build quality of this thing, I can't wait for it to charge.

Jan 16, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #452 of 570
tanforanalbino... Welcome to the forum:

Sorry about your wallet™

I didn't really do any burn-in on mine... I was really impressed with it straight out of the box.

Not sure if you've got a line-out-dock cable or not, but it's going to sound even better out of the line-out vs the headphone socket... But you knew that
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #453 of 570
Yeah I'm running from line-out, but I'm using the cable that came with the X-1 with some third-party line-out/usb combo of which I forget the name. Out of the box it sounds pretty good, the extra bass it brings is most noticable. My question is, are the heavy duty line-outs I've seen around these boards worth the sometimes ridiculous amounts of cash they cost? If I can avoid dropping close to or more than three digits on a simple cable, I'd like to.

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #454 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by tanforanalbino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are the heavy duty line-outs I've seen around these boards worth the sometimes ridiculous amounts of cash they cost?

in terms of what you get in percievable sound quality for the money, id say not.
if your setup is not causing any issues at the moment (jacks coming out ect), your money would be better spent on more music, better headphones ect...
if not, you can pick up an ALO dock for $60+ i think. and they are good quality cables that use quality materials and are very well built.

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #455 of 570
Awaiting DHL to show up at my office!!! Its killing me, the amp is so close now
icon10.gif

DHL just showed up!

Man this thing is tiny. I though it would be about the size of my ipod 30G but its about the size of a nano insted. Right now the amp is cold so im letting it warm up before plugging it in to charge. The amp came with a euro round plug and also an adapter to US flat plugs. Im very impressed with the build quality thus far, even the packaging of the amp was impressive even though the box was slightly crushed in shipping.

Jan 16, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #456 of 570
OK did anyone else notice that the right channel comes on first before the left. If I turn the amp up slightly from null, I can at a point only hear the right channel.

Is this normal?

Jan 16, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #457 of 570
This is normal of the variable resistors aka potential meters used as the volume control in most amps. The lowest and highest parts of the volume control is affected by this problem.

It is perfectly normal so just make sure your source volume isn't too loud or too soft such that you have to use the extreme ends of the volume control.

Jan 17, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #458 of 570
mine just came today, it came with the converter also sweet =), straight out of the box mine sounded really really warm and the bass had a bit more punch and thump then what I usually hear, after a couple of hours the bass lost alot of its thump but it became very tight, overall sound remained very warm. It doesnt sound like your listening to crazy refined detail but makes you feel like your music has trually become musical... hard to explain. I love this amp so far...

Jan 17, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #459 of 570
mine just came in today. listening freshly charged as i type this through my ipod->sr60s. headphone jack for now, haven't taken the next step and found myself a dock lineout just yet. while i'm not floored or anything, i think i do hear the improvement. not discouraged because i'm just about 5 minutes into listening. i expect it to get better and better as i burn it in and get better aquanted, along with getting that lineout and finding a pair of cans that will really benefit from this amp.

an immediately noticeable plus is the fact that i don't have to crank the volume up around 90-95% like i did with a lot of my music on here anymore. it's not my mp3s, it's my ipod. beat up 4th gen that i got off freeipods in '04. time for an upgrade i know but it still works so i'm not complaining.

on the topic of volume, my only question right now would be around where i should keep the volume on the amp. balance it around the middle and work the ipod around that or could i keep it cranked all the way to the + and keep my ipod low as possible? pros/cons of one way/the other?

edit: forgot something else. regarding the volume on the amp, should it be burned in the same way it should be listened to? also do i have to have headphones plugged in to burn it in?

Jan 17, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #461 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
on the topic of volume, my only question right now would be around where i should keep the volume on the amp. balance it around the middle and work the ipod around that or could i keep it cranked all the way to the + and keep my ipod low as possible? pros/cons of one way/the other?

I would turn up the iPod just a hair shy of max volume, and then adjust my listening volume using the amplifier.

Quote:

edit: forgot something else. regarding the volume on the amp, should it be burned in the same way it should be listened to? also do i have to have headphones plugged in to burn it in?

Yeah, burn it in the same way as you listen to it, only louder. So yes, do connect the headphones... and crank it up a bit. You want to give it a good workout... but don't have the headphones so loud that they distort or anything.

Jan 17, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #462 of 570
I has let the amp burn in overnight and the sound is much improved. It became a lot warmer and the bass doesnt sound as harsh as it did yesterday.

I also switched over to the 0db gain setting because with the IEM's I was using the volume knob on the amp was just shy of being at only the right channel when the ipod volume was turned up all the way. Should I go to 0db or 18db gain to make the knob less sensitive to input (I think i went the right direction). I have been listening for a few hours and when I take out the IEM's its like the rest of the world is too loud. I never got this level of detail out of the e2c's being powered straight out of my iPod. Now I get all the detail I wanted at a low volume.

Now im just waiting on Ken's ALO Dock to complete the portable setup.

Jan 17, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #463 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mine just came in today. listening freshly charged as i type this through my ipod->sr60s. headphone jack for now, haven't taken the next step and found myself a dock lineout just yet. while i'm not floored or anything, i think i do hear the improvement. not discouraged because i'm just about 5 minutes into listening. i expect it to get better and better as i burn it in and get better aquanted, along with getting that lineout and finding a pair of cans that will really benefit from this amp.

an immediately noticeable plus is the fact that i don't have to crank the volume up around 90-95% like i did with a lot of my music on here anymore. it's not my mp3s, it's my ipod. beat up 4th gen that i got off freeipods in '04. time for an upgrade i know but it still works so i'm not complaining.

Get yourself an ipod dock lineout -> 1/8" mini plug cable and it no longer matters where your ipod volume is set.
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #464 of 570
i've been reading about this amp for some time this evening because i don't know which amp to get i was thinking about a pa2v2 or a ldm+ but i've only read great things about this amp and now i would like to know who sells it and what it costs and also verry important: where can i find it
icon10.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #465 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by biermagnaat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've been reading about this amp for some time this evening because i don't know which amp to get i was thinking about a pa2v2 or a ldm+ but i've only read great things about this amp and now i would like to know who sells it and what it costs and also verry important: where can i find it
icon10.gif
rolleyes.gif

Most of us got ours on EBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back