"Mystery" Amp
Jan 12, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #421 of 570
Im new to the forum but have been lurking for a while.

I just picked one of these up from the Ebay seller and am awaiting its arrival to test it out.

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #422 of 570
Welcome Memphis, and my condolences for your wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

We look forward to hearing your thoughts on this amp also.

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #423 of 570
This amp is quite sophisticated in the way it handles its power source. The on/off switch is not mechanically latching but is simple momentary contact - when pressed it pulses an electronic latch circuit which passes power to the amp section and when pressed again it pulses the latch off. When switched on and when the terminal voltage of the battery is detected to be at the recommended minimum for li-on cells, the latch opens thus switching the amp off. This prevents the li-on cell being totally run down which is bad for them. Seems to me to be quite a little bundle of sophisticated electronics for the money. The case is also very well done - the jacket is quite a heavy duty extrusion rather than a pressed steel cheapo. All in all, I think its construction and performance against cost probably shows up many much more expensive amps in this category.

Well done T&D Dreamwork
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #424 of 570
I would have to agree with you and this is one thing, besides the sound I enjoy, that really impressed me. With the X-1 I think you really get your money's worth. I even like the way it feels. The internals look good and the main sellers here in China are helpful and respond to any needs, at least that has been by experience but I realize most people outside of China will not be buying from them.

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #425 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have to agree with you and this is one thing, besides the sound I enjoy, that really impressed me. With the X-1 I think you really get your money's worth. I even like the way it feels. The internals look good and the main sellers here in China are helpful and respond to any needs, at least that has been by experience but I realize most people outside of China will not be buying from them.

Do they have any info on the 'Pro' version that has been referred to here ?

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #426 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirams /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll second that! I have a feeling I'll be one of the first in line. I'd love to hear about whats in the works.

Jan 13, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #427 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, good summary.

Mine was the X-1 that dies after a week or so. Waiting on replacement. EBay seller was easy to deal with to arrange the return.

Ah, Skylab, how would you rate it based on the rating system of the 9 amp review you made? You did a great job on that, btw.

Jan 13, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #428 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirams /img/forum/go_quote.gif

About 2 weeks ago I was told it would be ready in one month. It will have more power output so it can more easily drive most any headphone and give more headroom. I would imagine there will also be other changes as well. The cost will increase about 80RMB or about 10 dollars so that should translate to 20 USD to the rest of the world.

Jan 13, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #429 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, Skylab, how would you rate it based on the rating system of the 9 amp review you made? You did a great job on that, btw.

Thanks. I wish the X-1 had worked when I started the comparative review.

From the initial listening, the X-1 was the most different sounding of amps I listened to -- the warmest in the mids.

When I get it back it will be part of Round 2 of the review, to include the Xenos 1HA, iBasso, the new version of the Headphonia, and hopefully the Larocco Diablo...

Jan 13, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #430 of 570
We need an iBasso thrown in there, for good measure
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #431 of 570
I have been listening to the X-1 and comparing it to my SM V6 modified to a IV and the IV does have a little more impact and detail but I could listen to the X-1 all day. It is just musical to me and does a great job. The IV is also musical and no less so but they are just different flavors and both do a fine job. The IV cuts a clean clear image and the X-1 is a slightly smoky room, good cigar smoke that is. I wouldn't want to travel without either. Nice things these portables!

Jan 13, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #432 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We need an iBasso thrown in there, for good measure
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL! Thanks for reminding me, I have one of those on order too
lambda.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #433 of 570
Quote:

LOL! Thanks for reminding me, I have one of those on order too
lambda.gif

I think we might have a sickness of some sort.
cool.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #434 of 570
Based on all 22 pages of this thread I think the X1 will be my weapon of choice to replace my LDM+. I was also considering a Xenos 0HA-REP but the size, price, and adjustable gain of the X1 are tickling me. Now to see when I can afford one!

Jan 14, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #435 of 570
Quote:

More or less. I am planning a massive bake-off. After which, of course, there will be a massive sell-off
tongue.gif

Ooh, just noticed this post. Please send a PM my way if you decide to sell the XM4. It sounds like it fits my needs perfectly, except that I can't afford it at full price.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back