"Mystery" Amp
Jan 17, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #467 of 570
and the Xtra amp? i can't find it on ebay?

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #468 of 570
It probably just got sold. Give it a little time for them to relist it.

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #469 of 570
Jan 17, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #470 of 570
thanx billybob! i've mailt with some questions i'm curious when i get a reply.

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #471 of 570
Did you guys see the 3 different Miniboxes? The Minibox CL, D, and E? More fun for Skylab!

Jan 18, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #472 of 570
so i should never have the amp volume at max? always keep it around the middle or?

the lineout will be gotten within the next couple days.

also, i read someone say that he received his amp cold and waited for it to warm up a bit before he charged it. is that important? it's been between about 30-40 here in S.F. at certain times lately and i was just curious if it's safe to both use and charge at those temperatures.

Jan 18, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #473 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so i should never have the amp volume at max? always keep it around the middle or?

the lineout will be gotten within the next couple days.

also, i read someone say that he received his amp cold and waited for it to warm up a bit before he charged it. is that important? it's been between about 30-40 here in S.F. at certain times lately and i was just curious if it's safe to both use and charge at those temperatures.

Dude, you're overthinking this...

Plug it in, set it so it sounds good to you and have fun!
etysmile.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #474 of 570
My first amp was unresponsive so i sent it back to Jasmine (ebay seller).

I found him good to deal with and he said just send it back and I will send you a new one.

4 days ago i got an email that he had received it back and would be sending out a replacement. Today it arrived in the mail (which is incredibly fast to Australia considering the fastest post I could get took 2 weeks to get to him) and the replacement is working fine.

I give a bid thumbs up to his after sales service.

Jan 18, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #475 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you guys see the 3 different Miniboxes? The Minibox CL, D, and E? More fun for Skylab!

I bought (and recieved) the Minibox CL.

This thing is about the size of a matchbox!
blink.gif

So far, it compares well with the Xtra. Surprisingly. I did not expect such good performance. I need more time... but from very early observations... the Minibox stuff is another strong contender.

Jan 18, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #476 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd rather have the source volume turned up, and the amp set lower, and used to control the level. Set the player high and forget it... while the amp's knob adjusts the volume.

Quote:

I normally wait till electronic devices reach room temperature, before I plug them in or turn them on. Theres not too much concern here.

If it was 8*F outside and I wanted to listen to music while snowblowing or whatever, I would.
smily_headphones1.gif
The thing to be concerned with is the displays, they can freeze, and that can cause damage.

Jan 19, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #477 of 570
This seems like a tempting portable amp so far. Can some of you comment on how it may synergize with a pair of UE triple.fi's? I would love for a slight boost in the mid-range, due to the UE's inherent mid-range recession. I just need to hear the vocalist a tad bit more, then these IEM's will be perfect! What do you guys think? Will this amp deliver?

Jan 22, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #478 of 570
I've noticed this amp sounds a little "smokey" or "cloudy" as some other people put it. I was wondering if changing to a different op amp could result in a more accurate sound or more detailed sound. I don't care that this amp sounds warm and slightly colored, but I would like more detail, if this can be done by switching op amps than i can have my friend do that for me.

does this make sense?

Note: I'm not very knowledgeable about the whole op amp thing

Jan 22, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #479 of 570
If you are talking about the X-1 it takes time to burn-in. With mine I hear plenty of detail and nice soundstaging. My SM LE is the best but it also has a much higher cost. I think that for the money the X-1 offers an excellent sound. The opamp is soldered into place and is a SMD so removal and placement of another opamp isn't the easiest and would require experience soldering smd's. If you have this then you might want to try a AD8620.

Jan 24, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #480 of 570
Just an update, my replacement X-1 is back and working fine. I had to pay a few dollars to ship it back to China, but it was a very painless process otherwise - the service I got from the EBay seller was good.

Same warm, friendly sound
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back