MYSPHERE 3.1-UNIQUE in SOUND&DESIGN&BUILD QUALITY
Feb 22, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #721 of 1,383
wear em like k1000s the sound becomes "thin and you can speak of not enough bass".
I wear my K1000s with the speakers wide apart from my ears. If I lay back into my sofa or armchair the speakers resonate against the surface and the bass is great. The same will apply to the mysphere looking at the design.

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #722 of 1,383
For €3.900 they have to be much much better than anything below HE-1 given that these are the first headphones MySphere has produced. I'd have felt easier parting with €1.000/€1500 - that sort of money gets you HD800 and HD800S and HE-6 with change. I have both the HD800 and HE-6 and have modded them to squeeze out extra refinements. I knew that price tag would be unrealistic. The first batch produced being relatively few means the cost of the materials is that much higher.
If we were talking about a work of art of course, every would be sat in an auction room and the price would be through the roof. It's a case of ; how good are these and how much will audiophiles pay for the very best?
While I completely agree that 4000 Euro is really a hell a lot of money for a pair of headphones I don't think they must be better than anything but the HE-1. Look at the Abyss. The Ab-1266 were their first headphones and they were even more expensive than the Mysphere, but still they were a big success. They were never the best but they were really great and more importantly unique in terms of sound. In the fashion, if there will be no major faults(like piercing peaks or some problems with the build quality) in the Mysphere, they can be quite successful in terms of sales, because it's a unique and really high-quality listening experience.
based on a experience of a user in a german forum. the bass is fixed if you wear em on ear. so the cushions have contacts to your ear. if you wear em like k1000s the sound becomes "thin and you can speak of not enough bass".
I believe even when you listen to the Mysphere with the drivers wide open, it still has more bass than the AKG K1000 and for many people it will be enough. Of course, certainly, it's not bass-heavy headphones, and if you're a big fan of something like the Fostex TH-900 or the Sony Z1R, probably the Mysphere isn't for you or at least you need to listen to them very carefully before buying, especially considering the price.

What I myself am worried about is that Heinz promised to show the final version of the Mysphere at the beginning of January and now it is already the end of February... Maybe not everything goes so well, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #723 of 1,383
At CanJam NYC, I didn't want to listen to MYSPHERE too much because I still want to enjoy my collection of headphones (200+ pairs) when I get home. Once your ears adjust to MYSPHERE, all other headphones sound closed, like listening to large speakers in a tiny 200sq studio apartment. Live recordings on MYSPHERE puts you in the audience. David Bowie 1972 Live in Santa Monica is chilling. Word of caution... you can't un-hear the experience.

71nxitOFVoL._SX522_.jpg

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #724 of 1,383
I didn't want to listen to MYSPHERE too much because I still want to enjoy my collection of headphones (200+ pairs) when I get home. Once your ears adjust to MYSPHERE, all other headphones sound closed, like listening to large speakers in a tiny 200sq studio

Have you got the K1000 Bass Heavy model among your collection? Were you able to do a comparison?

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #725 of 1,383
If my amp can do both 8 and 120ohm would the 3.2 be the ideal choice? I just recently acquired the K1000 bass heavy and I'm really liking what I'm hearing. As for the mysphere
1. Does it have the same basic sound signature and soundstage? Or are you guys going for a different tune.
2. From measurements I see it has fewer treble peaks, so is it less bright?
3. Will the warranty be transferable?
4. Has scaling been tested? If so do the 3.1 and 3.2 scale the same?
By the way with the Apex Teton I don't feel the need for more bass as it's perfectly balanced with the rest of the frequency.

Mar 8, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #727 of 1,383
I wish I had the bass heavy. I have the bass light. They're fantastic, but extremely limited in what they do well.
Friendly suggestion: Increase the bass! :astonished:

Mar 8, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #728 of 1,383
If my amp can do both 8 and 120ohm would the 3.2 be the ideal choice? I just recently acquired the K1000 bass heavy and I'm really liking what I'm hearing. As for the mysphere
1. Does it have the same basic sound signature and soundstage? Or are you guys going for a different tune.
2. From measurements I see it has fewer treble peaks, so is it less bright?
3. Will the warranty be transferable?
4. Has scaling been tested? If so do the 3.1 and 3.2 scale the same?
By the way with the Apex Teton I don't feel the need for more bass as it's perfectly balanced with the rest of the frequency.

Hello,
'want to answer as good as possible:
IMPEDANCE choice:
> When you mention "8 and 120ohm"- what do you mean with it. Is it a switchable output impedance - or just mentioning which headphone impedance's can be used with this amp? Could you inform me (if you want via PM) which amp you want to use. Is it the Apex Teton? If yes, the MS 3.2 is the better choice if the amp run in real OTL mode. But if not, the 3.1 is the better choice.
SOUND signature:
> MYSPHERE 3 has the same basic idea to be as neutral as possible. Meaning "no sound signature", just pure sound as it is recorded. However due to it's smaller size and modern material this aim is better reached. The K1000 has (because of less magnetic damping force) slightly too much level at mid bass (150Hz) - some like this "warm sound" - The MS has real bass down to 20 Hz. Also the K1000 has a bit too much level at ~ 3-4kHz. MS does not have that, but has real high frequency level up to 40kHz due to it's Glass-foam Membrane enforcement. This means not less bright compared to the original recorded instruments, but if a slight increase sound pressure at mid-highs is liked from users....!?
SOUND STAGE:
> As the slight increased level at ~3-4kHz tend to "simulate" sound stage (it's sometimes named as "presence") K1000 offer at least the same sound stage as MS. When MS is used with more angled drivers from the ear away, it offer larger sound stage, but in this mode it cannot offer the full bass level as it is designed for. This means - the sound stage can be adjusted with MS more than with K1000.
WARRANTY:
The warranty will be 3 years and it goes with the product as long as the original bill can be presented. So yes, it's transferable and valid world-wide.
SCALING:
I'm not sure if I understand this wording correct. Sorry! Do you mean that the HP show strongly weak amps? If you mean that - the answer is yes, very much so!
BR heinz

Mar 8, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #730 of 1,383
Increasing the bass can increase the rattle.
Not good! :frowning: But doesn't this apply to the «bass-heavy» version, too? (Since more bass means larger membrane excursion in any event.)

Mar 9, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #731 of 1,383
Not good! :frowning: But doesn't this apply to the «bass-heavy» version, too? (Since more bass means larger membrane excursion in any event.)
It's true!
Based on my experience in repairing many old K1000, the R&B comes mostly not from too large membrane excursion, but mostly from poor glued membranes. So, slight bass amplification applied on good K1000 (with good membrane gluing is similar to the use of a "bass heavy" version. This is also true, because the K1000 does not have it's limitations on higher electric power.
KR heinz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back