MYSPHERE 3.1-UNIQUE in SOUND&DESIGN&BUILD QUALITY
Oct 12, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #528 of 1,394
Oct 12, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #529 of 1,394
I really liked the video, especially that part at 4:00 where Heinz shows how easy to disassemble the Mysphere and almost every part is secured by magnets and there is no cable that can be torn or broken between the cup and the headband. Unique and very cool.

OMG, these must beone of the most innovative headphone designs ever. User replaceable driver modules can surely make upgrades easy. Beautiful too... EUR 4000 is a bit steep but an upgradeable lower price version would be so welcome.

Oct 13, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #533 of 1,394
Mr. Renner, the reviewer in Stereophile says "Each parts, including the five-layer square sandwich diaphragm (one layer is pure gold), can be replaced, changed, or upgraded." Can you say something more about layers of this compound membrane ? Thank You. (gold?)

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #534 of 1,394
Mr. Renner, the reviewer in Stereoplay says "Each parts, including the five-layer square sandwich diaphragm (one layer is pure gold), can be replaced, changed, or upgraded." Can you say something more about layers of this compound membrane ? Thank You. (gold?)
To me, a more interesting question is whether or not some upgrades of the driver are planned for the future?

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #535 of 1,394
A driver upgrade would be the least of my interest for three reasons: (1) it hasn't even come out yet; (2) at $4K plus, most people would view it as their "end game" so to speak, and, if you are looking for an upgrade at that price point, perhaps it's not for you in the first place; and (3) Mr. Renner and his team have spent several years developing it - I am sure they would want it in the marketplace at least a couple of years before introducing changes. I guess the overall point is that people need to hear it first before upgrades are even in the discussion.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #536 of 1,394
About fit on the head:
Approximately 200 visitors tested the pre-series samples (4pcs was present) Mysphere 3.1 at RMAF. ~ 90% was very satisfied with the fit. Some felt a bit of pain on the upper part of the head, some on the lower rear side.
We will realize more soft material on the upper part of the headband for the final products. One intention of the show was exactly to find this things out.

The membrane layers:

Sorry, the reviewer mixed the points a bit up in regards to the membrane.
In reality the membrane is made of of 5 layers (that's correct). One of this is a glass foam with the specific mass of 0.6 only. This part enhance the stiffness dramatically but also increase damping at this point, which is very unique and we tried to get patent applied. Furthermore this layer is designed like a spider net on the membrane (see www.mysphere.at).

The gold layer is on the magnet system. This is to avoid any corrosion for long term, as the specific magnet material is very sensitive to that effect.

Upgrade-ability:
For the moment no upgrades are planned and of sure not necessary for the driver.
It might be, that cushions (headband and ear) could be made in different sizes or acoustic adjustments.
But as I said, no need was detected at least till now and on the show.
I believe what the reviewer wanted to mention is more that such upgrades could be easily made due to the modular design concept.

BR heinz

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #537 of 1,394
For the moment no upgrades are planned and of sure not necessary for the driver.
It might be, that cushions (headband and ear) could be made in different sizes or acoustic adjustments.
But as I said, no need was detected at least till now and on the show.
I believe what the reviewer wanted to mention is more that such upgrades could be easily made due to the modular design concept.
BR heinz
Is the driver itself also can be detached so easily from the cup like other parts? Is it also installed in its place by magnets?
So many magnets out there.) Too bad the cable connector isn't magnetic, like those USB-C magnetic adapters)

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #538 of 1,394
Is the driver itself also can be detached so easily from the cup like other parts? Is it also installed in its place by magnets?
So many magnets out there.) Too bad the cable connector isn't magnetic, like those USB-C magnetic adapters)

The driver is mounted into the frame (no cup as a cup would make acoustic resonance in any case) by a very elastic damping material. Not replaceable. If any repair would be necessary, the whole frame together with the driver will be replaced.
We wanted to use those magnetic cable connectors first, but this is not good enough from an solid connection point of view due to the low impedance the driver has.

BR heinz

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #539 of 1,394

The membrane layers:

Sorry, the reviewer mixed the points a bit up in regards to the membrane.
In reality the membrane is made of of 5 layers (that's correct). One of this is a glass foam with the specific mass of 0.6 only. This part enhance the stiffness dramatically but also increase damping at this point, which is very unique and we tried to get patent applied. Furthermore this layer is designed like a spider net on the membrane (see www.mysphere.at).

The gold layer is on the magnet system. This is to avoid any corrosion for long term, as the specific magnet material is very sensitive to that effect.

BR heinz

Why gold over the standard Ni-Cu-Ni coating assuming you are using Neodymium?

I really want to hear these headphones. So much neat design in these compared to some many of the other high end headphones.

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #540 of 1,394
For those that have tried the Mysphere, do the drivers touch the ears in any way? From the photos, it seems very close to the head and might be dependent on the size of a person's ears and how far they stick out. I know there is the option of moving the drivers out (like the K1000) but just curious regarding the fit in the default position. I had a K1000 and there was no point of contact with the ears even with the drivers fully closed in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back