MYSPHERE 3.1-UNIQUE in SOUND&DESIGN&BUILD QUALITY
Jul 15, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #451 of 1,383
The surface's of the most important outside parts looking really nice and offer a hardness level of 9.5 - not really possible while normal use to scratch.
You mean unlike the HD 800 which doesn't even need to be touched to show lacquer flaking during the years. :smiling_imp:

The acoustic got an update during the beta-testing phase and all inputs of the selected testers could be taken into account in design changes.
Sounds great – I look forward to it! :relaxed:

Jul 15, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #452 of 1,383
I'm interested in going to RMAF, but the Met's transmission of Norma is on the seventh. I assume that Denver has cinemas that are screening the presentation. Perhaps @Baldr will be there too...

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #453 of 1,383
Please do not expect a big presentation - this is not the style of the team around Mysphere.
We just rent a small hotel room close to Abyss where people can check out our new baby!

KR heinz

Jul 16, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #456 of 1,383
Mysphere 3.1 is quite sensitive and therefore it can be driven "in worst case" even from a mobile phone.
Of course we do not recommend this, as this headphone is designed to reproduce the recorded sound very natural. I mean with those amp device the full potential could not be fully recognized.
We'll show final measurement data about distortion values and others on the homepage late August.
BR heinz

Jul 16, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #457 of 1,383
Awesome, really close now to getting some out in the wild impressions. It is fantastic to have a new player in the hobby.

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #458 of 1,383
If the MySphere is anything like the K1000 I have no doubt it will be awesome. I am now a K1000 owner. It's funny because I have it in the classified section up for sale but that's because I didn't think I had sufficient amplification for it. However, I am now debating whether to retract the sale because I just got a Schiit Lyr 2 and it sounds amazing. And I know I am not even scratching the surface of the K1000 potential but am unable to get a higher end amp at the moment. The Schiit was the most affordable option (only $340 in used but excellent condition).

Seriously, if Mr Renner and the AKG team were capable of this awesomeness back in 1989 I can't imagine what the MySphere will be like given the benefit of better technology and research.

I am pretty much set on pre-ordering it. :beerchug:

Jul 22, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #460 of 1,383
What are some decent vintage speaker amps? I know nothing about them. I actually used the speaker tap cables and hooked it up to a Sony receiver (it's only a couple of years old) and it sounds terrible. And I think it has like 95w per channel. I realize after further listening the Lyr is okay but it still seems to struggle. The treble region seems piercing at times.

Still have the K1000 up for sale in case anyone is interested. Not sure I want to go through trouble of amp matching. I guess I'll wait for the MySphere.

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #461 of 1,383
I use k1000 with my Trafomatic Aries and it's near perfect. Also good from my NEC m50 monoblocks. You need about 10-50w amp in my experience. Can sound too lean on some amps but more balanced on others. K1000 is always a little light sounding but very fast open and detailed. Looking forward to MySphere hope I can afford it.

Jul 22, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #462 of 1,383
Panache is 100 into 8 ohms. Haven't heard it with that yet though because the speakers to 4 pin xlr cable didn't come until I'd already packed all my audio toys away for the summer. Something to look forward to when I return. How easy is it to recable k1000? Are the results worth it?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #463 of 1,383
I'm not sure the K1000's are the topic of this discussion. With that being said, I do own a pair for a very long time now, and must say that more power isn't really needed, any speaker amp has enough power. A good amplifier that can deliver a few Watts into 8R will do just fine. One of the best matches I've ever heard with the K1000's was an Audio-Note 300B amplifier. I think it was the kit 1 (but it looked somewhat different than the current 2014 version), although that specific unit was far from stock. It can deliver only about 8W, and the sound it had with the K1000's was unbelievable. The owner of that amplifier had a pair of Stax headphones with the accompanying tube amp. The moment he heard the K1000's on his own speaker setup he put the Stax up for sale.

The K1000's really are a different beast, and with all the headphones I've owned/auditioned over the years, I still hold these as my favorite. They have a lot of issues, but sound-wise, they are exquisite.

I really do hope the 3.1 will be an upgrade in all fronts. Technically I'm certain they will be, but the sound is the main unknown here.
If they will tick all the right boxes and the price won't be out of reach, looks like my K1000's will have a little (big?) brother :)

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #465 of 1,383
I'm a K1000 owner and I'm very excited about the MySphere. In fact, I'm thinking I may go all the way to RMAF just to listen to it. Question: if I do that and I like it, can I buy it there or will it not yet be available for purchase?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back