MYSPHERE 3.1-UNIQUE in SOUND&DESIGN&BUILD QUALITY
May 9, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #976 of 1,383
I answer to my own question : after messages exchange with Heinz Renner, he suggested me (MySphere 3.1 with Hugo 2) to add equalization around 60 Hz. I use DX150 with Neutron, linked with optical cable to Hugo 2.
It worked very well, now I get the added warmth and bass impact that i was missing (in a subtle way, it's not a headphone for bassheads…).

Here are my settings in Neutron (I will try to fine tune later) :

1 : low shelf : 31.5rhz, Q1.25, gain 5.30
2 : peak : 62,5 hz, BW 1.00, gain 7,40
3: peak : 125 hz, BW 1.00, gain 5,40
4 : peak : 250 hz, BW 1.00, gain 2.30

May 9, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #977 of 1,383
(Double post)

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #978 of 1,383
+7.4 dB... That's more than I would have expected.

May 9, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #979 of 1,383
Maybe you could recommend a selection of several amps that pair well, so if it's not a unique brand it would be no commercial...

I have a couple 3.2-specific amp mentions in my review (see my signature).

In addition, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Benchmark HPA4 as well as the Xi Audio Formula S, both work very well with the 3.2

May 9, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #980 of 1,383
+7.4 dB... That's more than I would have expected.
Probably it's too much, but i got an instant improvement :)
I will fine tune by decreasing gradually...

May 9, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #981 of 1,383
Selecting the amp in a list can be out of subject for some and even in this case I have noticed that @biscottino, AIC 10 owner, found the same bass problem with the MySphere at home.

We very often hear of EQ for headphones, perhaps some resurgence of speakers setups. But a possibility even personally I’m reluctant to modify a FR of now highly priced headphones.
I was listening to headphones just to avoid all the nightmare of speakers owners and their acoustically problematic rooms.

Even if Mr Renner publishes an EQ chart, EQ isn’t so easy actually when more audiophiles use non PC servers which don’t allow any EQ easily.

Why not the resistors if Mr Renner can test the solution and build some add-on to the MySphere ?
Those good headphones deserve a special attention to their bass aptitude.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #982 of 1,383
MySphere with 15 Ohm (amp Z out) in series works well for me.
This is an amp with OPA and solid state transitor driver, all in Class A.

May 10, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #983 of 1,383
Selecting the amp in a list can be out of subject for some and even in this case I have noticed that @biscottino, AIC 10 owner, found the same bass problem with the MySphere at home.

We very often hear of EQ for headphones, perhaps some resurgence of speakers setups. But a possibility even personally I’m reluctant to modify a FR of now highly priced headphones.
I was listening to headphones just to avoid all the nightmare of speakers owners and their acoustically problematic rooms.

Even if Mr Renner publishes an EQ chart, EQ isn’t so easy actually when more audiophiles use non PC servers which don’t allow any EQ easily.

Why not the resistors if Mr Renner can test the solution and build some add-on to the MySphere ?
Those good headphones deserve a special attention to their bass aptitude.

The resistance needed for many amps is available virtually built in by much more wiring already in the MS3.2 version.
It's just to choose. Others does not offer different variants at all.
The core problem behind is, that for headphone amp outputs a very old fashioned senseless IEC norm exist, nobody care about...

BR heinz

May 10, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #984 of 1,383
The resistance needed for many amps is available virtually built in by much more wiring already in the MS3.2 version.
It's just to choose. Others does not offer different variants at all.
The core problem behind is, that for headphone amp outputs a very old fashioned senseless IEC norm exist, nobody care about...

BR heinz
Yes, the choice between 3.1 and 3.2
With a tube amp, I should go with the 3.1 ?

You mean that many headphone amps have too much output impedance, out of the IEC norm, and the MySphere with its particularly designed drivers pay the tribute ?

May 10, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #985 of 1,383
Yes, the choice between 3.1 and 3.2
With a tube amp, I should go with the 3.1 ?

You mean that many headphone amps have too much output impedance, out of the IEC norm, and the MYSPHERE with its particularly designed drivers pay the tribute ?

One of the problem for all consumers is, that many amp producers doe not mention the real impedance values in their specs.
Yes, most tube amps use transformers on the output - but not all. Therefore MS3.1 can be expected to be right for about 75% of the tube amps only.
The rule which MYSPHERE explain on the homepage is, that ideal performance with amplifiers below 10 ohms output impedance the MS 3.2 shall be used. But what if the output impedance is not known... :frowning2:
For this cases the best option is to try the Test-Set as both version are in to try.

The old IEC standard for headphone output of amps defined 110 ohms output impedance.... No one of modern headphone amps use that logically!
But it should be standardized from my point of view, to allow the producers of headphones to optimize and for consumers to be safe.

best regards,
heinz

May 11, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #986 of 1,383
One of the problem for all consumers is, that many amp producers doe not mention the real impedance values in their specs.
Yes, most tube amps use transformers on the output - but not all. Therefore MS3.1 can be expected to be right for about 75% of the tube amps only.
The rule which MYSPHERE explain on the homepage is, that ideal performance with amplifiers below 10 ohms output impedance the MS 3.2 shall be used. But what if the output impedance is not known... :frowning2:
For this cases the best option is to try the Test-Set as both version are in to try.

The old IEC standard for headphone output of amps defined 110 ohms output impedance.... No one of modern headphone amps use that logically!
But it should be standardized from my point of view, to allow the producers of headphones to optimize and for consumers to be safe.

best regards,
heinz
Personally I’m not enough skilled in electro-acoustic and I can only judge on what I hear.
In a system which is able to produce very good deep bass (not slam or high level but real squares at 50 hz), the 3.2 saturates and that’s a problem in Classical music.

Let’s listen to:
VKv7d.jpeg

https://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/v...demia-bizantina-ottavio-dantone/0002894791265
To understand how a baroque violin is able to go down.

Like for the headband, I understand that Mr Renner has a strong follow up of his headphones and perhaps some adjustment could be possible ?

May 11, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #987 of 1,383
Personally I’m not enough skilled in electro-acoustic and I can only judge on what I hear.
In a system which is able to produce very good deep bass (not slam or high level but real squares at 50 hz), the 3.2 saturates and that’s a problem in Classical music.

Let’s listen to:
VKv7d.jpeg

https://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/v...demia-bizantina-ottavio-dantone/0002894791265
To understand how a baroque violin is able to go down.

Like for the headband, I understand that Mr Renner has a strong follow up of his headphones and perhaps some adjustment could be possible ?

Fully agree to your statement that using this music we can understand how a baroque violin sound.
BUT: cannot agree that it does not sound real using MYSPHERE!
To me it's the opposite!
I listend to this music already on loud level of 105 dBSPL average and there is no signal saturated.
I tried it with MS3.2 + Lake People HPA RS08 and also with the new WA11 topaz and even with the little Dragonfly Red is just pure and good music to hear.
Really wondering why it does not work with your setup you listen to...
SORRY!
BR heinz

May 11, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #988 of 1,383
That‘s how I like to listen to my Mysphere 3.2. . With this settings it has about the same Bass than my 009, but with less distortion. If you change quickly between those two headphones, even the 009 sounds a little muffled. The Mysphere tells me even more about the recording than the 009, which could be heaven or hell.
35729901ym.jpeg
35729902ol.jpeg
[/IMG]

May 11, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #989 of 1,383
35729930ew.jpeg
The Paltauf makes it easy to compare all kinds of headphones.
35730051sl.jpeg

Attachments

• 9B2BC471-4A83-498C-A867-E86A1A11FF89.jpeg
    9B2BC471-4A83-498C-A867-E86A1A11FF89.jpeg
    673.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #990 of 1,383
To the question of amplifier. I have several.
Rudistor RP030, Audiovalve RKV MK3 и Headtrip.
The best result MS shows with Headtrip. Then Audiovalve. 030 is also normal, but even though it is the weakest of the three, it is gives distortion in the lowes, if the record has a lot of lowes.
Headtrip is perfect and perfect on any material.
3.2 version

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back