MYSPHERE 3.1-UNIQUE in SOUND&DESIGN&BUILD QUALITY
Jan 14, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #677 of 1,383
For those who did not receive the Mysphere newsletter and/or did not register on the homepage www.mysphere.at
Here is the link to the Newsletter directly:
http://www.lb-acoustics.at/lb-acous...8/01/Mysphere-3.x-Newsletter-January-2018.pdf
Best regards,
Heinz
Hello, Heinz.
This paper says that
A number of drivers have been produced and await optimised pairing (left and right)
I wonder how do you do? I mean "optimising pairing". Do you just measure the impedance of the drivers and choose the ones which are closer or measure the FR of the drivers? If so, how close must the drivers be? Or some another way?
And what do these pluses and check marks mean on this picture?
mysphere-3.jpg

Jan 14, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #678 of 1,383
The specific picture just shows a few drivers out of many. To be honest, I do not know what the guy meant by the plus signs at that time when the photo was made. Sorry, meanwhile we use boxes...
However, I know how we pair the drivers:
Each driver is measured in very near but open filed condition in all the parameters like impedance peak, frequency and phase response, impulse a.s.o.
We defined upfront specific tolerance fields for each parameter for 5 segments (categories). Each driver has 1st to pass generally and 2nd fit into a segment which is the segment for a pair....
After mounting into the housing it will be measured again and the category has to be confirmed (or not, - it faile).
....Hope I explained it correct! :wink:
BR heinz

Jan 14, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #680 of 1,383
The specific picture just shows a few drivers out of many. To be honest, I do not know what the guy meant by the plus signs at that time when the photo was made. Sorry, meanwhile we use boxes...
However, I know how we pair the drivers:
Each driver is measured in very near but open filed condition in all the parameters like impedance peak, frequency and phase response, impulse a.s.o.
We defined upfront specific tolerance fields for each parameter for 5 segments (categories). Each driver has 1st to pass generally and 2nd fit into a segment which is the segment for a pair....
After mounting into the housing it will be measured again and the category has to be confirmed (or not, - it faile).
....Hope I explained it correct! :wink:
BR heinz
Thank for the answer, I'm sure you explained correctly.)Well, the drivers must be produced very closely to each other in terms of parameters or you'll need a hell of a lot drivers to make pairs.)
By the way, why that "spider web coating" on the drivers on some pictures is pink (like the one above) and on the others it's white (like the one below)? Different versions?
20170101221636rgfp04c7n.jpg

And when do expect the first people who preordered the Mysphere are going to receive their pairs? As far as I understand it must be quite soon.

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #681 of 1,383
Hello,

1st - yes you are right! The production processes of the drivers has to be very precise - otherwise you cannot match it correctly and it would be not fair for customers to receive different headphones. This is why we use robots for the main process steps!

2nd - You have very good eyes - compliment! :) During development when we made photos, we used different colors which was implemented into the glass-foam. This was to identify different process parameters later. This colors are UV-selective and can be verified very well under UV-light.

BR heinz

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #682 of 1,383
Heinz Renner, did you have used any specific amp during development of this headphones?
What is you favourite amp for Mysphere?

During development we used extreme low impedance measurement high end amps from company GRAS only.
To be honest, this was one reason why we came up with a second variant of Mysphere 3.2 (using 110 ohms impedance) late. Because we did not realize the strong dependence of damping coming from the amplifier....

I do not have enough experience with different amps to announce a favorite.
But I like the precision of the WOO Audio WA33 very much and hope to have the chance during the next upcoming month to listen to more different amps.

BR heinz

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #683 of 1,383
Don't forget to add Chord's Hugo₂ and DAVE to the list! Both have extremely low output impedances, BTW.

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #687 of 1,383
... which means they should be paired with a Mysphere 3.2, because they would electrically overdamp the Mysphere 3.1 (according to Heinz Renner's explanation).
Yes, theoretically – but since I equalize anyway, it doesn't matter in my case.

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #689 of 1,383
Output impedance of any given amplifier driving any given headphone/loudspeaker has to take into the account the proper damping - and this is something not entirely correctable by EQ. If the output impedance of an amp is too low ( damping too high ) , it will sound lean in the bass - and no amount of EQ can change this basic quality . If the output impedance is too high ( damping too low ) , it will sound too boomy in the bass - regardless of the EQ attempts.

In low output impedance amps, it is possible to add the required resistance in the connecting cable ( from fraction of an ohm to approx 10-100 ohms, as required by the headphone ) or in the connector/adapter - but any " adapter" has got to have perfect contact(s) ; alternatively, it is possible to use a longer cable giving the added required resistance.

Nothing can be done regarding too high output impedance of an amplifier.

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #690 of 1,383
Output impedance of any given amplifier driving any given headphone/loudspeaker has to take into the account the proper damping - and this is something not entirely correctable by EQ. If the output impedance of an amp is too low ( damping too high ) , it will sound lean in the bass - and no amount of EQ can change this basic quality . If the output impedance is too high ( damping too low ) , it will sound too boomy in the bass - regardless of the EQ attempts.

In low output impedance amps, it is possible to add the required resistance in the connecting cable ( from fraction of an ohm to approx 10-100 ohms, as required by the headphone ) or in the connector/adapter - but any " adapter" has got to have perfect contact(s) ; alternatively, it is possible to use a longer cable giving the added required resistance.

Nothing can be done regarding too high output impedance of an amplifier.

PERFECT explanation!
Mille Grazie!!!!
BR heinz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back