MYSPHERE 3.1 "FAQ's"
Jun 6, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #136 of 165
@jamesjames which Phonitor amp are you using? The original higher output impedance one sounds great too at Casa Buchanan.
I notice you have the AKG K812. Much under-rated headphones I think. I had a pair for many years, and thought they really were impressive. It's nice to see someone else might agree!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #137 of 165
I notice you have the AKG K812. Much under-rated headphones I think. I had a pair for many years, and thought they really were impressive. It's nice to see someone else might agree!
They are a terrific headphone IMHO. No sign of the supposed treble sting at Casa Buchanan, and rather elegant construction, although I would have preferred a bilateral headphone connection so that balanced connection could be used as well. This is not considered a point against it, however, as the sound is so good anyway.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #138 of 165
They are a terrific headphone IMHO. No sign of the supposed treble sting at Casa Buchanan, and rather elegant construction, although I would have preferred a bilateral headphone connection so that balanced connection could be used as well. This is not considered a point against it, however, as the sound is so good anyway.
Certainly elegant! A true classic.

Sep 28, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #139 of 165
As someone who has now owned the MySphere 3.2 for some time, I think it's worth touching on a point which probably doesn't get the focus it deserves. And that's the importance of experimenting with the position of the ear frames. I've seen some discussion about opening or closing the frames to taste, but much less about movement of the frames up and down the headband. And, for me, this latter adjustment has been crucial. I found this effectively controls the underlying character - in terms of relative levels of high frequency energy - which can then be further refined by opening or closing the frames. It took me some time to realize I couldn't achieve what I feel is a natural frequency balance - however open or closed the frames were - until I had the frames further down the headband than had initially felt right on my head. Also, sitting the headband slightly further back on my head than my starting point made a big difference. I wouldn't be surprised to find that these adjustments are very much a matter of personal taste - but I don't think that diminishes the point that they seem to be crucial to getting the most out of these phones. In my case, experimenting with seemingly fine adjustments (which now seem very natural and comfortable on my head) transformed performance in ways I really didn't expect. In particular, I've discovered the 3.2 has much more in terms of low frequency extension and mid frequency richness than I had thought possible. I really would encourage anyone who has these phones to persist with positioning experiments - in my experience it really does pay-off. I think they're staggeringly good if you take the time to adjust them.

Sep 28, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #140 of 165
As someone who has now owned the MySphere 3.2 for some time, I think it's worth touching on a point which probably doesn't get the focus it deserves. And that's the importance of experimenting with the position of the ear frames. I've seen some discussion about opening or closing the frames to taste, but much less about movement of the frames up and down the headband. And, for me, this latter adjustment has been crucial. I found this effectively controls the underlying character - in terms of relative levels of high frequency energy - which can then be further refined by opening or closing the frames. It took me some time to realize I couldn't achieve what I feel is a natural frequency balance - however open or closed the frames were - until I had the frames further down the headband than had initially felt right on my head. Also, sitting the headband slightly further back on my head than my starting point made a big difference. I wouldn't be surprised to find that these adjustments are very much a matter of personal taste - but I don't think that diminishes the point that they seem to be crucial to getting the most out of these phones. In my case, experimenting with seemingly fine adjustments (which now seem very natural and comfortable on my head) transformed performance in ways I really didn't expect. In particular, I've discovered the 3.2 has much more in terms of low frequency extension and mid frequency richness than I had thought possible. I really would encourage anyone who has these phones to persist with positioning experiments - in my experience it really does pay-off. I think they're staggeringly good if you take the time to adjust them.
Totally agree with you regarding height adjustment - haven't tried altering where the headband sits on my head too much, as it seems to sit most comfortably only in one position. Taking care that the headphone ear capsules are angulated out/in exactly the same on each side cured a very slight L/R imbalance as well. So many ways to adjust these beautiful headphones.

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #141 of 165
Totally agree with you regarding height adjustment - haven't tried altering where the headband sits on my head too much, as it seems to sit most comfortably only in one position. Taking care that the headphone ear capsules are angulated out/in exactly the same on each side cured a very slight L/R imbalance as well. So many ways to adjust these beautiful headphones.
You both are totally right!
The sound impression of MYSPHERE 3 differ much depending on the positioning relative to the human ear.
The reason for this effect is, that this unique headphone use a very special membrane design which devide the surface in almost three sections. Whereas the smallest one in the center transmit the most part of the high frequencies.
The advantage of this design is, that the effective moving masses are small for high frequencies.
But this design lead also into a very unipolar sound pattern (like a ball) not a lane sound wave. This and the fact that the membrane is very close to the ear, makes it necessary to position the sound frames very individual on the head and play around shifting up and down and for-and backwards.
Once you find the optimal position (and depending on the ears it must not be on both sides mechanically the same), best to mark or rember the posiion on the scales.
The pressure points on the head normally your brain remember well...
BR heinz

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #142 of 165
You both are totally right!
The sound impression of MYSPHERE 3 differ much depending on the positioning relative to the human ear.
The reason for this effect is, that this unique headphone use a very special membrane design which devide the surface in almost three sections. Whereas the smallest one in the center transmit the most part of the high frequencies.
The advantage of this design is, that the effective moving masses are small for high frequencies.
But this design lead also into a very unipolar sound pattern (like a ball) not a lane sound wave. This and the fact that the membrane is very close to the ear, makes it necessary to position the sound frames very individual on the head and play around shifting up and down and for-and backwards.
Once you find the optimal position (and depending on the ears it must not be on both sides mechanically the same), best to mark or rember the posiion on the scales.
The pressure points on the head normally your brain remember well...
BR heinz
Agree @hrklg01. After some time of experimentation, I now know where it should sit on the scales. After that, it’s really listening and small adjustments on the head. Once you hit the sweet spot, you can tell instantaneously! :)

Jul 27, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #143 of 165
The Merging Anubis (and therefore the Neumann MT48, as it's very close to the same unit) works very well with my Mysphere 3.2

Sep 16, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #144 of 165
This is an odd problem (with a hopeful solution).
When listening to my Mysphere 3.2 and reading stuff on the Macbook Pro when it's plugged into the charger, there is some sort of leakage of current through me and to the metal tips of the Mysphere headband that sometimes contact the skin behind my ears and cause a stinging sensation. I kid you not.
I think I've finally got the solution - ordered an earthed Apple extension cord that has 3 pins that connect and earth rather than the 2 pin plug adapter that fits into the Macbook Pro power supply that has no earth connection. Should be here next week.
It may be interesting to see if there were any other sonic effects associated with this earth leakage. I'll update this soon.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #145 of 165
Das Metall des Kopfbügels hat keine elektrische Verbindung zu den Anschlussstiften... so it seems to be a static electricity issue

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #146 of 165
So there should be no sound difference. Excellent and thanks for the very prompt comment.
I certainly wasn't complaining about the Mysphere here - it's the Macbook Pro charger that's at fault. I think the headphone's angled connector is providing a path to ground for the unearthed charger through my skin behind my ear somehow. Static electricity usually just instantaneously discharges, rather than a constant thing.
Postscript: the extension lead worked exactly as I hoped - grounded the charger nicely. No more sting behind the ear where the connector can touch skin.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #148 of 165
What is mysphere compare to k1000 and D8000pro
Well, since nobody has answered I might try. I've never listened to D8000pro and am not going to, since I don't like planar headphones, but I owned the K1000 for about 10 years and now I have a pair of the Mysphere.
Maybe, Heinz won't agree with me, but I think the K1000 and the Mysphere are very different headphones, both in terms of the concept and tuning. Even though the same people developed them and they both don't have earpads.

The K1000, it seems to me, was developed to be more like a replacement for bookshelf speakers. It has very little bass below, like 50-70 Hz. The cups are far away from the ears. And I believe you were supposed to use them with a certain angle toward your ears.
1696074214153.png

But because of that the K1000 has a huge soundstage, the sound is very open and big. There is no headphones like this from this point of view (including the Mysphere), maybe except the RAAL.
The goal of developing the Mysphere, I guess, was to create a realistically sounding headphones that would capitalize on the lack of earpads. But when there are no earpads, to have enough bass response, like good conventional headphones, the drivers should be placed as close as possible to the ear channel. And so the Mysphere was developed (and tuned) with the idea that the headphones are going to be worn touching the ears. Like this:

1696074755046.png

As a result of this choice, the Mysphere doesn't have nearly as big a soundstage, or has such open sound as the K1000. From this point of view the Mysphere sounds like a pair of conventional headphones. Actually, many normal headphones, such as the HD800 have a bigger soundstage than the Mysphere.
But on the other hand, where the K1000 almost has no bass, the Mysphere with the bass cushions has quite good bass. I would say it is one of the best among all dynamic headphones.

Also the tuning is quite different. The Mysphere has much more emphasis on the midrange, while the K1000 also has it to some degree, but not nearly as much. In addition to it, while the K1000 can have quite a bit of sibilants, the Mysphere never has any. Whether it is a plus or minus depends on a person. As far as now, Heinz thinks it is good thing and one of the achievements of the driver, but, for example, a well-known reviewer of the in-ear headphones Crinacle doesn't like at all - https://crinacle.com/2020/12/14/crinnotes-lb-acoustics-mysphere-3-2-cyberpunk/ :
Probably the most offensive thing about the 3.2 is the vocals; very shouty and uncharacteristically in-your-face despite the earspeaker configuration. Interestingly enough the 3.2 is shouty whilst also being somewhat dark in its treble presentation (one may even consider it “smooth”), making for a double-whammy of contrasting tonalities.

In addition to it, since there are more than 25 years between the K1000 and Mysphere, the latter is quite a bit more detailed and sound much faster. But, in terms of detail, I wouldn't say that the Mysphere is the last word either. For example, the Stax X9000 is quite a bit superior from this point of view.

In terms of the build quality and design, of course, there is no comparison. The Mysphere is much better made, better materials are used (mostly completely out of metal) and feels more premium.
Where there is a similarity it is the comfort. Both headphones are unusual from this point of view. Both can be very comfortable or uncomfortable depending on the shape of your head and how sensitive the spots where the headphones touch your head. The K1000 creates quite a bit of pressure next to your temples, which is a very sensitive zone for some people. The Mysphere, on the other hand, can cause you to have pain spots above your ears. But I would say, the overall, for most people the Mysphere will be a more comfortable pair of headphones, although many conventional headphones are much better in this regard.

So, overall, I wouldn't call the Mysphere a true successor to the K1000. It is a completely different pair of headphones.

I hope it helps you and other people who are interested in the comparison.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #149 of 165
The main differencies between K1000 and MYSPHERE 3 if it comes to acoustic are:
K1000 has a large moving membrane area for all frequenies. This deliver together with the larger discance to the ears, a relative plane acoustic wave arriving the ear entrance. And yes, this is more comparable with speakers in far field.
MYSPHERE 3 has a bit smaller total membrane area which is deviced into 3 sections. One for bass, one for the mids and one little center for the hights. The moving mass is very little and offer an exceptional impulse response. On the other hand side this concept lead to the necessity to place the headphone closer to the ears and very precice in front of the ear entrance. If you do not perfect, also the sound become eventually dull and the width and depth of the sond impression loose.
K1000 need a stong amplifier as it need power because of the low sensitivity. MYSPHERE need only 60mW, but it need very good amplifiers which can "digest" the high EMK the strong motor deliver back to the amp.
And finally the big difference is further, as qazxsw80 wrote, tha used material wich is designed for the whole life.
BR heinz

Sep 30, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #150 of 165
MYSPHERE 3 has a bit smaller total membrane area which is deviced into 3 sections. One for bass, one for the mids and one little center for the hights. The moving mass is very little and offer an exceptional impulse response. On the other hand side this concept lead to the necessity to place the headphone closer to the ears and very precice in front of the ear entrance. If you do not perfect, also the sound become eventually dull and the width and depth of the sond impression loose.
K1000 need a stong amplifier as it need power because of the low sensitivity. MYSPHERE need only 60mW, but it need very good amplifiers which can "digest" the high EMK the strong motor deliver back to the amp.
Heinz, I'm just curious, is it possible by using today's technology to create a pair of earspeakers with the driver like in the K1000 which would have a large moving membrane area for all frequencies but also that would follow the Harman curve for the bass and the driver being far away from the ear?
That is, a pair of earspeakers with a frequency response like this when the driver is 3-4 cm from the ear:
1696094871565.png

For example, by using a bigger driver, let's say 70 mm, or some really big membrane excursion (5-6 cm). Even by sacrificing some of the speed of the impulse response and sound detail and clarity?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back