my parents offered to buy me a new car if I dropped out of school and went to work
Sep 19, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #46 of 117
This is actually kind of disturbing. I'm completely puzzled by your parent's offer.

Gatto, I beg you; Don't drop your degree
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #47 of 117
why do u wanna ruin your career over a car.

go to gym...work out.....get nice sexy dresses ......guys will offer to drive u around.

as sexist as i may sound.....there are lot of morons who will do anything for gals.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #48 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

go to gym...work out.....get nice sexy dresses ......guys will offer to drive u around.

as sexist as i may sound.....there are lot of morons who will do anything for gals.

^stranger comment than the parents' offer, lol
biggrin.gif

i would agree with the others, but is there a way you could both go to school AND retain the job? that way, you can keep a stable job plus achieve your dreams at the same time, albeit a lil slower. you did say u hated evening classes, so maybe that answer is a no?

Sep 19, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #49 of 117
Are you going to school in a different state or city than this job would be in?

Is it possible this is an issue where they would like you to be living (and working) closer to them?

Regardless, I too recommend continuing on in school. Keep working at what you want in life!

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #50 of 117
Gatto,

If you have a problem with your family,maybe it's better to talk with them and tell them what you feel.

I think it´s better than asking here for opinions...although many people here can give you good advice.

Anyway,try to talk with them.Tell them what you feel and then try to understand why they tell you that(maybe there is some reason...?)

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #52 of 117
If you're doing well in a medical, math, or science program, and aren't having trouble paying for it, I can't see any reason to drop it, except for a serious business opportunity.

Many degrees aren't worth so much, but sciency ones tend to be requirements, if you're going to go into actual work in a related field.

So...that's just weird.

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #53 of 117
Get as much education as you possibly can. In this recession economy. a young girl like yourself or for that matter any young person is going to need as many skills as they can possibly have. You can make enough money for a car back in less than one year of working once you have a great education. No offense, but your parents have the wrong sense of priorities as far as I can see from this one issue. Scottsmrnyc

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #54 of 117
Gatto, print out the responses in this thread and give them to your parents. Maybe they'll realize that having a daughter that is paying her own way to earn a science degree is a good thing, and dropping that to work for $15 an hour and a used car is pretty much sealing her fate to a life of mediocrity. You live in NYC, $15 couldn't get you a meal at a decent restaurant.

PS - Get new parents.

Sep 19, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #55 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good to know most parents don't do this kind of stuff.

Another thing came to mind. Parents get old, and once they get old they start acting a little weird. Once you prove your worth in the real world, parents take that as a license to start acting in immature ways, with selfish demands and so on. It's like a role reversal. Perhaps this is one of those things? Parents afraid of becoming "lonely", if you go on with your career? Tough luck. One's purpose in life is not catering to one's parents' whims. Buy them a puppy.

Sep 19, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #57 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The title of this thread isn't "Should I drop out of school to get a new car", so I'm pretty sure the OP is not seriously considering doing it.

At least, I certainly hope not :S

Sep 19, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #58 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to be clear odds are they would not buy me a nice car or even a brand new one probably. Odds are it would be something from the early 00s if I accepted this silly deal which I am of course not wasting my effort to even respond to them about.

Either way... good to know most parents don't do this kind of stuff.

another devil here speaking....

i was going to ask you if you can ask your parents to change the car to a property. a house would be nice but an apartment is ok or what about some stocks. if you let the property, with your job money while staying/living with your parents(save up), get another preperty(ies) later or other investment. maybe you can retire early. it's all about money right(if education only means money)?

Sep 19, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #60 of 117
Should be an easy choice. Unless its a very expensive car (Ferrari 250GTB, Koenigsegg CXXR, ..) that is...
Turn down the offer and continue your education.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back