my parents offered to buy me a new car if I dropped out of school and went to work
Sep 18, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #31 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of car?

Definitely not worth throwing away a degree for.

That's a bit of an odd scenario. Maybe it's a test, to prove your determination or something? Regardless, finish your degree, make more than you would in IT job, and spite your parents by buying them a car :p

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #32 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducks_own /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely not worth throwing away a degree for.

That's a bit of an odd scenario. Maybe it's a test, to prove your determination or something? Regardless, finish your degree, make more than you would in IT job, and spite your parents by buying them a car :p

haha I love that idea

Sep 19, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #36 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you going to start your blog up again? i enjoyed reading it

wow really? I had a few ideas but I've been going nuts just trying to get coursework done. Since you liked it I'll try to knock a post out this weekend ^^.

Sep 19, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #37 of 117
Hmm...my parents bribed me with a car to go to the college my father woks at, as there would be no tuition. It was my first choice anyway, so I took it. But they knew that, and were probably going to give me the car anyway.

As for your dilemma, stay in school. Without being critical, I agree with those who say that it is wrong and irresponsible for your parents to do this. Even if the head IT position is a well paying job, to derail your from something that you want to do and (hopefully) love doing is not an appropriate parental action.

-Nkk

Sep 19, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #38 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow really? I had a few ideas but I've been going nuts just trying to get coursework done. Since you liked it I'll try to knock a post out this weekend ^^.

dont stress, whenever you have time, no rush

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #41 of 117
I wouldn't do it - unless it's for a 177 or Veyron or something... selling that would provide nice capital for any startup I have in mind...

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #42 of 117
Just to be clear odds are they would not buy me a nice car or even a brand new one probably. Odds are it would be something from the early 00s if I accepted this silly deal which I am of course not wasting my effort to even respond to them about.

Either way... good to know most parents don't do this kind of stuff.

Sep 19, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #43 of 117
Oh hell no. Stick with school.

Though you might want to see if there's a way to take evening classes at a local school while working. I did that for the accounting degree and it worked out pretty well.

Also, earwicker makes a great point about the trades. In my little free time, I study for a few FCC exams for a commercial radio license. I already have an amateur license and enjoy this stuff. With the commercial license and several endorsements, I could do radio and marine radar on freighters, commercial radio, the military, or any number of government positions.

Not so long ago, doubling up on law and accounting seemed like a sure thing. But the market is spooky today. I think things are OK are work, but you never know. Besides, if I got laid off, traveling a bit on a freighter and stirring up trouble in bars in exotic locales would be slightly more exciting than preparing hearing exhibits in a windowless storage room 20 floors up.

Sep 19, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #44 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh hell no. Stick with school.

Though you might want to see if there's a way to take evening classes at a local school while working. I did that for the accounting degree and it worked out pretty well.

Also, earwicker makes a great point about the trades. In my little free time, I study for a few FCC exams for a commercial radio license. I already have an amateur license and enjoy this stuff. With the commercial license and several endorsements, I could do radio and marine radar on freighters, commercial radio, the military, or any number of government positions.

Not so long ago, doubling up on law and accounting seemed like a sure thing. But the market is spooky today. I think things are OK are work, but you never know. Besides, if I got laid off, traveling a bit on a freighter and stirring up trouble in bars in exotic locales would be slightly more exciting than preparing hearing exhibits in a windowless storage room 20 floors up.

I did that and got the only two grades below a B to ever hit my record (two C+s) and hated every second of those 3 hour night classes. It isn't even an option.

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #45 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody else see a problem with this? my parents want me to leave school and my biomedical science/psychology degrees to go back to my old $15 an hour IT job because they offered it back to me. Anybody else had parents try to do anything remotely like this? I mean... I've heard of parents bribing their kids to go back to college, but never bribing them to leave...

Gatto: the fact that you left IT to go onto what you are doing now should tell you something. Do what you love, and to hell with all the rest. If you have a passion for the career, you will make it work. I know it sounds cliche, but to do a job you are not thrilled about for the rest of your life only for the money is not a way to live.

Speaking about the money, please allow me to be frank on the issue. $30/hr sounds like a lot of money, but it does not go all that far. Stick with what you are doing, and you will do what you like with likely equal to greater pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back