My Headamp GS-1 vs Gilmore Lite impressions
Jul 22, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #46 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Is the M3 warm? I think I read somewhere that it is...

Yes, it is from the couple of songs I heard on it, it seemed to be very nice and I would think you should look closely at it.

Jul 22, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #47 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Yes, it is from the couple of songs I heard on it, it seemed to be very nice and I would think you should look closely at it.

Oh yeah, and you too MeatStick19, I mean MeatFlaps19, darn, I mean GoRedWanks19, oh I give up!
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #48 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Is the M3 warm? I think I read somewhere that it is...

I'm just not too keen on the idea of tube microphonics, fragility, cost, maintenance, etc.

Yep as gpalmer mentioned it is a warm amp, might be the warmest SS amp I know of. I can understand your concerns with tube amps they are some of the reasons I have switched back to SS amps myself.

Jul 22, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #49 of 74
I'm glad to see that my original post generated alot of discussion. I appreciate all the input!

Well, after further listening to the GS-1, I perceive that the sound has changed for the better as of this evening. The slight treble roll off and recessed midrange that I previously noted appears to be mostly gone now. I actually am hearing pretty good treble extention. The bass also has gotten noticably more articulate and does not seem as excessive as before.

The strange thing is that these "improvements" seem to have happened this evening after the amp had been turned off for around 24 hrs to give it a "rest." The amp previously had been burning in non-stop day and night for the last 7 days. Just yesterday before turning it off for the 24 hours, I was so bothered by the treble and midrange issues that I looked into buying new headphones with a more forward and brighter sound than the Senns. The cooling off period may of had an effect on the amp (as well as the listener).

I had some reservations writing the original comparison knowing that the amp, despite 4 days of continous burn in, may not have fully settled in, at least in theory. I sent away the Gilmore Lite the morning after the comparison (sold it), so I pretty much had to go with the observations that I had at the time.

I tend to believe that my brain has learned to adapt to the sound of the GS-1, as "sacd lover" alluded to. This adaptation was greatly facilitated by the fact that the GL was no longer around as a direct comparison whenever I felt like it.

Jul 22, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #50 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69
Well, after further listening to the GS-1, I perceive that the sound has changed for the better as of this evening. The slight treble roll off and recessed midrange that I previously noted appears to be mostly gone now. I actually am hearing pretty good treble extention. The bass also has gotten noticably more articulate and does not seem as excessive as before.

Those sound like very promising improvements! Can you imagine what the GS-1 would sound like in it's fully-burned in state? MMMM!!

Jul 22, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #51 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
I changed the non-Kimber, cheap, gold-plated RCA´s for WBT-0144. They expanded the sound stage in all dimensions noticeably, and loosened up some congestion, which apparently, the cheap RCA´s had caused. To me, this investment was worth it.

Your observations are in agreement with what I read on the Audioasylum site: connectors are quite important to the sound of interconnects. WBT is supposed to be among the best. My PBJs came with the metal Ultraplate connectors, which one "inmate" claimed to be "bright."

I'm still planning on trying some Kimber Silver Streaks and see what effects they may have on the GS-1's sound. I figure with a 30-day return policy as well has their high resale value on eBay, there is not much to lose.

Jul 22, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #52 of 74
Quote:

I tend to believe that my brain has learned to adapt to the sound of the GS-1, as "sacd lover" alluded to. This adaptation was greatly facilitated by the fact that the GL was no longer around as a direct comparison whenever I felt like it.

Heh, I have a V2-SE around to directly compare against it and I heard the same thing...

Jul 22, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #53 of 74
Quote:

BTW - After listening to the changes that were happening I have begun to think it might be the high end developing and increasing in quantity, not that the bass diminished...

Jul 22, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #54 of 74
Have been listening to the Glite and GS1 (and the audigy2zs output) for many hours now. I will post my impressions by tonight as I dont believe in amp burn in or things of that sort.

There will be a definite winner - no holds barred action!!

Will Joey go for the Lite and save $450? Or will he stick with the GS1 and tear his wallet to shreds? Or will he have wasted all of headfi's time and stick with the audigy2zs' stock analog out?

Tune in!!
600smile.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #55 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
Have been listening to the Glite and GS1 (and the audigy2zs output) for many hours now. I will post my impressions by tonight as I dont believe in amp burn in or things of that sort.

There will be a definite winner - no holds barred action!!

Will Joey go for the Lite and save $450? Or will he stick with the GS1 and tear his wallet to shreds? Or will he have wasted all of headfi's time and stick with the audigy2zs' stock analog out?

Tune in!!
600smile.gif

I'm eagerly waiting for the final verdict!

(take your time though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back