My Headamp GS-1 vs Gilmore Lite impressions
Jul 20, 2005 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

kontai69

1000+ Head-Fier
I did what I thought was careful A/B/A testing between the GS-1 (4 days burn in) and a 3-month old Gilmore Lite (GL) with standard (Elpac) power supply. Headphones were 4 month old Senn 650/Zu. I used the loop out of the GS-1 to feed the GL, using the same brand/model IC (Kimber PBJ). I level matched both amps to within a fraction of a decibel using pink noise and a SPL level meter. I then played very familiar CDs, often times just repeating a segment of a song over and over again and concentrating on a certain aspect (e.g. bass, cymbals, etc.). I actually drove me nuts after a while.
biggrin.gif
It is important to mention that I previously had the Dedicated Power Supply with the GL but returned it because I thought it made NO audible difference. Therefore, I did not do any GS-1 vs GL+DPS comparisons.

I can definately hear a difference between the GS-1 and the GL with stock Elpac. The GS-1 has significantly more bass than the GL, a little too much actually. It was approaching the bloaty and one-note variety. Also, to a lesser degree, the midrange is more laid back and the upper treble is slightly rolled off with the GS-1.

After 7 days of burn in, the bass is a little more subsided and articulate. The treble seems to have extended a little as well, although it is still a tad too rolled off for my liking, especially after listening to the GL. As much as I try to convince myself otherwise, at this point I actually prefer the sound of the GL a little more. It's has a slightly more "lively" and dynamic sound to me. I already sold the GL (on impulse) so there is no decision on which to keep. I hope after further listening (and burn in) that I will adapt to the sound of the GS-1 more.

The interesting thing is that when I use the GS-1 as a preamp in my speaker system, the treble is very extended, actually a little on the bright side with some recordings. Cymbals have alot of sparkle and sheen. The imaging is also more precise. This is compared to my old NAD 1600 preamp/tuner which had a really "warm," and somewhat "dull" sound. This is the primary reason why I am keeping the GS-1.

I will try different interconnects going to the GS-1 to get a little more needed treble extension. I am already using Kimber PBJ ICs and a Zu Mobius headphone cable, both which are said to be "bright" cables. I'm planning on getting some Silver Streaks, or even a used KCAG, and see what positive effects they might have on the sound. My source is a Sony DVD player feeding an Ack! dAck! v2.0 D/A converter, so I'm hoping not to get any "upgrade your source" comments.
biggrin.gif

The GS-1 also is beautiful to look at. The Gilmore Lite has excellent build quality, but the GS-1 takes it to a higher level. The faceplate is raw hand-brushed aluminum, whereas the GL's is anodized. It matches my Ack! dAck! quite well. The case also has a smoother finish. The bolts on the faceplate and top of the GS-1 are recessed into the surface, which is a really nice touch.

For kicks, here is a pic I took showing the GS-1 with the Gilmore Lite...
621380_59_full.jpg

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 74
Nice comparison kontai69, definetly makes me feel more confident about purchasing the Gilmore Lite. Just one question though: What type of screws hold down the encasing (The top encasing, not the face plate) on the GS-1 and G-Lite? From pictures it looks like you can't really open them up without hurting the casing, but of course there are pictures of the top off on headamp (I guess they were just taken during the building process).

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Nice comparison kontai69, definetly makes me feel more confident about purchasing the Gilmore Lite. Just one question though: What type of screws hold down the encasing (The top encasing, not the face plate) on the GS-1 and G-Lite? From pictures it looks like you can't really open them up without hurting the casing, but of course there are pictures of the top off on headamp (I guess they were just taken during the building process).

Why would you want to open it up, though?

There are no op amps to switch out.

-Matt

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27

-Matt

I know, but I'm just curious...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27

-Matt

However, the GS-1 does feature modules that can be replaced with future upgrades. I believe Justin plans on developing and building his own modules in the future, and one can check them out by simply unscrewing the top, unscrewing the modules and replacing them with other ones.

I would also imagine, pending the discretion of the builder, that one could also build their own modules to use with the GS-1, and be able to create their own sound with the GS-1, but one would have to probably be quite skilled and also get the discretion of Justin as well.

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 74
What is your impression of the Kimber PBJ and the bass of the GS-1?

I haven’t tried them together my self, but I remember the PBJ, in other applications, to keep the bass very short, not to say restricted. A good honest IC for the rest IMO.

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
What type of screws hold down the encasing (The top encasing, not the face plate) on the GS-1 and G-Lite?

On the GS-1, there are 4 screws that hold the top plate down. I haven't tried it (yet), but I'm sure removing them will allow you to easily lift up the top plate. As for the GL, there is no top plate. The case is all one piece with a front and back plate that is screwed in.

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
What is your impression of the Kimber PBJ and the bass of the GS-1?

Unfortunately, I have no first hand experience with other cables to make any valid comparison. I basically have used only Kimber PBJs for over 10 years now, purchasing them based on the great review they initially received in Stereophile magazine back in the mid 90s. Not the best way to do buy things, I admit.

Reading the reviews and comments at www.audioreview.com and www.audioasylum.com , people seem to think that PBJs are "bright." They also have a little bit of glare in the treble, which is the impression I get with my system the way it is now.

Jul 20, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 74
Nice job... we have all been waiting for some head to head comparisons between these two amps. I know exactly what you are describing. But I came to some slightly different conclusions. I agree the GS-1 is more relaxed but I like this as the GS-1 is more dimensional. The lite by comparison is more forward but seems to have a flat two dimensional soundstage to me. I also agree the bass seemed a little heavy with the 650. However, I found this with all my amps using the senn 650. I have since switched to the less bass heavy senn 600. Now the bass with the GS-1 (and my singlepower tube amps) is much better balanced....in fact, near perfect for my taste.

The forward and dynamic presentation of the lite does wake the senns up and I very much enjoy this aspect of the lites character... especially with rock music. But the dynamics of the GS-1 while less obvious are very natural and match perfectly with what you would expect from the amps more distant perspective. Again, I like the lites upfront dynamics but for long term listening the GS-1's more laid back presentation and increased depth lets me listen longer and with less fatigue. As for the treble, I perceive the treble as more refined and equally detailed and not rolled off. I thought the lite while not adding brightness did add a little zing to to treble.... which again.... is quite fun with rock and electric blues.

In summary, again, I know exactly what you mean.... your critical approach and descriptions were excellent. But my tastes have me drawing different conclusions based on my personal tastes. I do think with more listening time you will start to hear more resolution and pick up the added sense of space the GS-1 imparts. With the senn 650/ GS-1 combo I dont know if you will ever like the added bass of that pairing. I blame the headphone for the imbalance.... but your opinion that its the amp is equally valid. Anyway, thanks for the time and effort. I enjoyed your post.... it was a very good read.
cool.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #10 of 74
SACD Lover,

May I ask what single singlepower tube amps are you referring to? What do you think gives 650s with Zu the most bang?

If you have any recommendations for lower cost amps (< $500), please suggest . . .

Thanks

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #11 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyButt
SACD Lover,

May I ask what single singlepower tube amps are you referring to? What do you think gives 650s with Zu the most bang?

If you have any recommendations for lower cost amps (< $500), please suggest . . .

Thanks

<$500 for a desktop amp will put you in the leagues of a PPA, M3, Gilmore Lite with PSU, and some others... its not that any one is better then the other as they are all very solid amps, its just they each have their own character... that should be a good start for looking for a sub 500 amp.

Jul 21, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #12 of 74
Cool review!

Did I mention that I am getting my Gilmore Lite tomorrow?? Yes! I can post my impressions soon as well. Let's see if I'm up for saving money.

Joey
600smile.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 10:44 AM Post #13 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69
..."Reading the reviews and comments at www.audioreview.com and www.audioasylum.com , people seem to think that PBJs are "bright." They also have a little bit of glare in the treble, which is the impression I get with my system the way it is now."...

First, I forgot to thank you for a nice comparison!

As to the PBJ. It is a bit off topic
icon10.gif
, but I can’t help my self. There is something which is quite appealing about the PBJ
smily_headphones1.gif
. I changed the non-Kimber, cheap, gold-plated RCA´s for WBT-0144. They expanded the sound stage in all dimensions noticeably, and loosened up some congestion, which apparently, the cheap RCA´s had caused. To me, this investment was worth it.

I don’t perceive them as bright, I must say, not like, e.g. a silver(-alloy) cable. Actually, I find them very true to the source for the price, except then for the bass. Together with a Marantz CD6000OSE they made a good synergy; controlling the 6000´s a bit too rich bass and adding slightly more definition to the very sweet highs of the CDP.

Jul 21, 2005 at 12:10 PM Post #14 of 74
Great review. I just ordered a Gilmore Lite yesterday,mainly for my grado 325is.Im hoping it will help smooth out the highs just a little bit(a little to shrill for my taste.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back