My Headamp GS-1 vs Gilmore Lite impressions
Jul 22, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #31 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Quantity and quality, i.e. it's a bit on the warm side and it does have very good extension. It also is good on slam factor...

Whoa there big cheese, did you say it is good in the bass dept and is on the warm side?

Yowsers I need to hear one.

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #32 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Whoa there big cheese, did you say it is good in the bass dept and is on the warm side?

Yowsers I need to hear one.

That seems to be the consensus. It's the only SS amp that sacd lover enjoys for extended periods of time, and you know how he is with tubes!

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #33 of 74
Quote:

Based on your tastes (such as I've seen you post) I think NOT in a big way. It's very tightly defined not warm and fuzzy and I think you like warm and fuzzy!
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #34 of 74
Quote:

Based on your tastes (such as I've seen you post) I think NOT in a big way. It's very tightly defined not warm and fuzzy and I think you like warm and fuzzy!
biggrin.gif

Hey Gman, I am not all warmth and fuzziness. I can handle a SS amp as long as it's warm. But fuzziness is a cool word.

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #35 of 74
Quote:

Hey Gman, I am not all warmth and fuzziness. I can handle a SS amp as long as it's warm. But fuzziness is a cool word.

Give me the sound of vacuum tubes without the price or maintenance and I'm sold. I hope the solution likes in something like the GS-1.

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #36 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Give me the sound of vacuum tubes without the price or maintenance and I'm sold. I hope the solution likes in something like the GS-1.

so you are a warm and "fuzzy" kind of guy?
that's what Gman said I am.

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #37 of 74
Quote:

I'm not exactly sure what you guys mean by "fuzzy"...

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #38 of 74
Quote:

Hey! once you have been "fuzzed" by Gpalmer, you will always have the "fuzz"...oh yeahhhh

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #39 of 74
Quote:

But I meant it in a GOOD way!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

You're too young to remember the 60's that's what we mean...

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #40 of 74
Quote:

But seriously, there is a certain softness to the edges of notes with some tube amplifiers, it's a glorious sound but it isn't about tight definition, that's what I mean...

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #41 of 74
Quote:

Hey! once you have been "fuzzed" by Gpalmer, you will always have the "fuzz"...oh yeahhhh

I definitely like sound on the warm side of the fence, but it's hard to quantify, because what sounds warm to you may sound neutral and sterile to me.

I like detail, but I prefer smoothness over hyper-detail...so if this is what you mean by "fuzzy" then yeah I guess I'm that!

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #42 of 74
Quote:

But seriously, there is a certain softness to the edges of notes with some tube amplifiers, it's a glorious sound but it isn't about tight definition, that's what I mean...

yeah we are all fuzzed up here. Gman is the Fuzzmeister.

teerawit>No I like really warm and fuzzy sounding amps. I don't like neutral amps tube or ss. i am not into hyper detail amps or phones and it's all about the fuzz.

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #43 of 74
Quote:

I definitely like sound on the warm side of the fence, but it's hard to quantify, because what sounds warm to you may sound neutral and sterile to me.

I like detail, but I prefer smoothness over hyper-detail...so if this is what you mean by "fuzzy" then yeah I guess I'm that!

The GS-1 is actually on the warm side of things when it comes to SS amps. I think it might be a good idea for you to demo a tube amp though there are plenty in the price range of the GS-1.

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #44 of 74
Quote:

yeah we are all fuzzed up here. Gman is the Fuzzmeister.

Awww, come on you meatstick, forgive me already!
tongue.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #45 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
The GS-1 is actually on the warm side of things when it comes to SS amps. I think it might be a good idea for you to demo a tube amp though there are plenty in the price range of the GS-1.

Is the M3 warm? I think I read somewhere that it is...

I'm just not too keen on the idea of tube microphonics, fragility, cost, maintenance, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back