My Headamp GS-1 vs Gilmore Lite impressions
Jul 22, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #16 of 74
Woot I'm excited to be (soon to be) GIlmour Lite Owner. A fellow Head-fier will be selling me his
smily_headphones1.gif
yay. As far as the DPS you said there was no audible difference is there anyone else out there that thinks its worthi it?

Jul 22, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #17 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040
Woot I'm excited to be (soon to be) GIlmour Lite Owner. A fellow Head-fier will be selling me his
smily_headphones1.gif
yay. As far as the DPS you said there was no audible difference is there anyone else out there that thinks its worthi it?

Alot of it depends on the quality of power your home has.

Jul 22, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #18 of 74
Quality power as in? Are you talking about Power regulators or something?

Jul 22, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #19 of 74
Quote:

Quality power as in? Are you talking about Power regulators or something?

Just the electricity in your house in general, and yes, power conditioning as well.

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #20 of 74
I'd be very curious how your impressions might change as the GS-1 burns in. I found that the high end takes time to develop.

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #21 of 74
How would I know if the power in my house is "good" or not

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #22 of 74
When you guys say that the GS-1 has alot of bass, do you mean that it gives alot of "visceral punch?" Or do you mean that it goes deep down the bass frequencies?

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #23 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
When you guys say that the GS-1 has alot of bass, do you mean that it gives alot of "visceral punch?" Or do you mean that it goes deep down the bass frequencies?

Quantity and quality, i.e. it's a bit on the warm side and it does have very good extension. It also is good on slam factor...

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #24 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Quantity and quality, i.e. it's a bit on the warm side and it does have very good extension. It also is good on slam factor...

Slam...kinda like the bass slam I'm experiencing with Grados right now?
basshead.gif

Call me crazy, but my interest in the GS-1 is starting to slowly gain momentum...

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #25 of 74
Quote:

Slam...kinda like the bass slam I'm experiencing with Grados right now?
basshead.gif

Yeah, it's especially noticeable withh the PS-1s and the Balanced Reference...
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #26 of 74
You guys are killing me. My interest in the GS-1 is starting to gain momentum with me too. Well, I mean I've always been interested but the addition of the Lite DPS and how much of a difference it has made makes me want to hear the GS-1 in a big way. That's the only thing really stopping me, is that the Lite + DPS is just amazing and I really like it a lot and so I'm not sure if I need to go there. A couple years ago I would have got the GS-1 by now but these days I'm trying hard to appreciate what I have if I really like it.

Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

I think so:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...t=gilmore+Lite

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #27 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
You guys are killing me. My interest in the GS-1 is starting to gain momentum with me too. Well, I mean I've always been interested but the addition of the Lite DPS and how much of a difference it has made makes me want to hear the GS-1 in a big way. That's the only thing really stopping me, is that the Lite + DPS is just amazing and I really like it a lot and so I'm not sure if I need to go there. A couple years ago I would have got the GS-1 by now but these days I'm trying hard to appreciate what I have if I really like it.

I think so:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...t=gilmore+Lite

I just all boils down to features in your case. Do you need the extra input, the gain switch, and pre-amp function? Do you like to have everything in one box?

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #28 of 74
Quote:

I just all boils down to features in your case. Do you need the extra input, the gain switch, and pre-amp function? Do you like to have everything in one box?

Yeah, exactly. I'm of the inclination that the Lite + DPS is very close to the GS-1. The fact that the GS-1 exhibits a touch more warmth and has possibly more bass (but the amount of bass I have now, with the DPS in the house, makes me wonder how close they really are now) intrigues me too. As I have said before the beefier power supply and the Alps pot likely offer a touch more in refinement and overall performance too. Then it does come down to features. Dual headphone output does not really interest me. I use Grado's so the gain switch doesn't do much for me but then again I used to use Senn's and could see getting a pair again perhaps one day - if I feel like taking a nap when I listen to music that is (kidding! I do like Senn's but am on a major Grado kick now!). Dual inputs doesn't matter much to me. Preamp output is nice, I'd like to drive a small amp and speakers one day but I could actually just use the headphone output of my Lite for this if really needed. All in one box is nice but I have to tell you the small separates look just damn cool.

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #29 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Yeah, exactly. I'm of the inclination that the Lite + DPS is very close to the GS-1. The fact that the GS-1 exhibits a touch more warmth and has possibly more bass (but the amount of bass I have now, with the DPS in the house, makes me wonder how close they really are now) intrigues me too. As I have said before the beefier power supply and the Alps pot likely offer a touch more in refinement and overall performance too. Then it does come down to features. Dual headphone output does not really interest me. I use Grado's so the gain switch doesn't do much for me but then again I used to use Senn's and could see getting a pair again perhaps one day - if I feel like taking a nap when I listen to music that is (kidding! I do like Senn's but am on a major Grado kick now!). Dual inputs doesn't matter much to me. Preamp output is nice, I'd like to drive a small amp and speakers one day but I could actually just use the headphone output of my Lite for this if really needed. All in one box is nice but I have to tell you the small separates look just damn cool.

In my case it boils down to starting out with the Lite or biting the bullet and headin up to the big players with the GS-1. I use headphones only so pre-amp is useless to me. I have low and high impedance phones so the gain is extremely useful. Multiple sources here, so the inputs are nice.

All in all I'm no big audiophile so either the Lite or GS-1 would be suitable. The Lite would probably be more suitable since I probably cannot discern the differences. Are your ears well-trained? The differences between the GS-1 and the Lite are probably undetectable to me, and these differences are probably minor in objective terms.

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #30 of 74
Quote:

The differences between the GS-1 and the Lite are probably undetectable to me, and these differences are probably minor in objective terms.

I have a feeling you're right. Historically, the differences in the HeadAmp lineup have been largely increased dynamics and sound stage as you moved up the line and I have a feeling that Justin has aimed for this mark again. And of course, features, and it's seemed to work successfully for HeadAmp. This is purely a guess.

My personal hunch is that the difference in the bass might be overstated in this review because the GS-1 wasnt completly broken in, but that's purely my guess and might not mirror reality!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back