my hd280s were stolen; what now should I get for 350?
Aug 5, 2010 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

macadamia

New Head-Fier
My Hd280s were the only full-sized headphones I owned, so it is now necessary that I get something to replace them. I wasn't crazy about them because they could provide the bass required by the dance, drum n bass, and hip hop I listen to. I understand that many here like the hd650, and it can be bought for 350. I am looking for powerful bass and an EPIC soundstage. Is this best achieved with the hd650, or are there others in my price range better suited for this purpose?

Aug 5, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 8
If you wanna get an amp, then the hd650 might be a good option.
Also, research the dt990 600 ohm.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Aug 5, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 8
I'm gonna go with either a Sennheiser HD-650 which I'm listening to right now.  Amazon has refurbished HD-650's for less.

Or, I'd do with a Denon AH-D5000.

Hope the above helps.

L3000.gif

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 8
Your best off not buying refurbished from Amazon, when I did it they had the item in stock but it wasn't. So I had to wait a month until I got what I ordered, do they wait until a pair needs to be repaired? Go with the 650's and keep them safe, how were your last pair stolen?

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 8
Do not get the HD650's if you do not have a proper amplifier to drive them. They are known as a very picky/hard-to-drive headphone.

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 8
Do not get the HD650's if you do not have a proper amplifier to drive them. They are known as a very picky/hard-to-drive headphone.

Are you basing your comment on personal experience?  The reason I ask, I have HD-650's and they're being driven perfectly fine off the amp provided for in the ASUS Xonar STX sound card.  I'm currently listening to them (Billy Joel: "2000 Years: The Mellennium Concert Disc 1") at a listening level of 6/100.

???

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Are you basing your comment on personal experience?  The reason I ask, I have HD-650's and they're being driven perfectly fine off the amp in the ASUS Xonar STX.  I'm currently listening to them (Billy Joel: "2000 Years: The Mellennium Concert Disc 1") at a listening level of 6/100.

???

It's not just volume that's the issue, it's that the HD-650s are rather amp sensitive in terms of sound signature.  In my experience they can feel very dark and somewhat muddy without a good amp pairing.  That said, something like the Matrix M-stage at about 230 is ideal for them.  Another thing to mention is that HD-650s are not particularly bass heavy phones.  They have nice, punchy, controlled bass.  What they do not have is skull-shaking, brain-bashing, head-hammering bass
darthsmile.gif
.  You might be happier with something like the DT880s if you specifically want bass and soundstage.

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 8
In my experience they can feel very dark and somewhat muddy without a good amp pairing.

I'm good on this end with bass and no muddiness.  But being an ignorant, for-all-I-know, I could be listening to cellophane tape and would probably be happy.  And personally, I'm not into head banging good bass.....too old.

ph34r.gif

My situation, the bass is tight, the sound stage is wide, the highs are smooth, piano chords are open and forward and with most recordings, instrument placement is separated and well balanced with music and voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back