My guilty pleasure IEMs/BUDs
Sep 5, 2020 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

dharmasteve

Headphoneus Supremus
We all have a 'Guilty Pleasure' IEM or BUD. A cheap one we don't want to admit to. Under $40. So this is a 'confessional'. What is your Guilty Pleasure IEM? Just one in a post, as many posts as you like. Describe why you like it/them. This is 'Pleasure' so NO critiques at all. Just confess. What is your guilty pleasure IEM or Bud and why?

Sep 5, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 49
I'll start the ball rolling. The NiceHCK x49. A single bloody armature, it should sound meh. They have a thin fixed cable, cost me under £10. It actually sounds so sweet that I sometimes use it in front of my so called 'Big guns' just to chill. Enough bass most of the time. Two IEMs more in the pipeline one of which may bring shame to me when I post.

Sep 5, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #3 of 49
I think the BLON 03 is the one I think of. Bizarrely, it’s the only iem or bud I own under $40 but it performs like a much more expensive iem. I wish it had a longer nozzle. I added Azla Xelastec tip to counteract this. They really grab my canal. (That’s what she said) You try for the bargain basement price of $39.99, not including Azlas.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 49
Well for earbuds wise, one of the sets I use regularly is the RY4S 300 ohm. Sub $20 USD.

11244886.jpeg

U shaped, not the best subbass extension (like most buds), but bass is quite tight. Mids are a tinge recessed and not the most detailed, but timbre is generally good. Needs amping though, as the 300 ohm impedance suggests.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #5 of 49
ADAX HT06. Think I paid $15 or cheaper. Surprisingly good for the money. The con was it didn't have a removable cable and that ended up being the death of mine. I would have purchased another but they appear to be discontinued and sold out everywhere.

Sep 5, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #6 of 49
Just got some HiFiMan RE400s for $19 on Amazon...

Usually use 'deals' like this to plug directly into my home & work laptops; saving the 'better' IEMS for the my DAC/Amp setups or my LG phone.

Really quite nice sound for less than $20

Sep 5, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #8 of 49
CVJ CSA. Not your standard Chi-fi dual hybrid, V-shaped and harsh transition in upper mids. Instead it is largely neutral with good timbre and nicely balanced and mids not recessed. Decent presentation too!

Sep 5, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #9 of 49
CCA C10 have been my guilty pleasure IEM. They set the bar for budget hybrids for me back in the day. Neutralish SQ with mild bass boost. I was so much in love with them that after losing them I was literally on the verge of crying!

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #10 of 49
Mine is borderline $40 but is definitely the BQEYZ BQ3. Crazy bass, crazy treble, crazy Soundstage.
It can sound a bit thin compared to the under $100 contenders (IT00, urbanfun, etc) but it's a lot of fun, and bass can be EQd to be enormous. One note: Some users note a drastically different sound from what I described, describing it as dark and muddy.....

Sep 5, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #11 of 49
about two weeks ago,i got the xiaomi airdots s, i just needed small wireless buds when I'm chilling on my couch watching videos, browsing my phone etc. they fit great in my ears, i can lie down easily, and the greatest thing i wasn't expecting is the very very competent sound, great detail, good enough bass, a very nice balanced sound leaning towards a v shape

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #12 of 49
Well for earbuds wise, one of the sets I use regularly is the RY4S 300 ohm. Sub $20 USD.

11244886.jpeg

U shaped, not the best subbass extension (like most buds), but bass is quite tight. Mids are a tinge recessed and not the most detailed, but timbre is generally good. Needs amping though, as the 300 ohm impedance suggests.
I have RY4S plus which I really like. Worth to buy 300 ohm version ? I have Fiio M9, btr5 and sonata hd pro to drive it. It's ok for them ?

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #15 of 49
I recently got a pair of Motorola buds for around £3 as a bit of a why not, I used a left over cable from an earlier re-cable and wow, they're great. As goofy and impulse of a purchase they were, it's something I definitely don't regret. Especially when it manages to get really close to being my favourite pair out of all the pairs I've had.

20200903_2033342.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back