My guilty pleasure IEMs/BUDs
Sep 5, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #16 of 49
I have RY4S plus which I really like. Worth to buy 300 ohm version ? I have Fiio M9, btr5 and sonata hd pro to drive it. It's ok for them ?

RY4S 300 ohm is drivable on sonata HD Pro, I'm not even using a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm jack to trick it to go to a higher power output and it still sounds great. As the 300 ohm impedance suggests, it is quite power hungry, I think your BTR5 can also handle it, just don't play it from a low powered smartphone.

RY4S 300 ohm is a more refined and mature tuning of the RY4S plus 32 ohm. The 300 ohm version is more U shaped than the V shaped RY4S plus 32 ohm. The 300 ohm's subbass and bass quantity isn't as big as the RY4S plus 32 ohm but it has better bass quality (less midbass bleed, faster bass and better accuracy). The 300 ohm's lower mids ain't as recessed and the upper mids ain't as hot as the RY4S plus 32 ohm. Technicalities slightly better on the 300 ohm version too, but not as good as some midfi earbuds.

If u can wait for sales, I got my RY4S 300 ohm at $15 USD from aliexpress. Actually if the mids can be a bit more detailed and the subbass extension better, it can compete with some midfi earbuds in sound quality, but as it is 15 bucks for this kind of sound is excellent. I'll skip a restaurant meal for this for sure.

Sep 6, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #17 of 49
RY4S 300 ohm is drivable on sonata HD Pro, I'm not even using a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm jack to trick it to go to a higher power output and it still sounds great. As the 300 ohm impedance suggests, it is quite power hungry, I think your BTR5 can also handle it, just don't play it from a low powered smartphone.

RY4S 300 ohm is a more refined and mature tuning of the RY4S plus 32 ohm. The 300 ohm version is more U shaped than the V shaped RY4S plus 32 ohm. The 300 ohm's subbass and bass quantity isn't as big as the RY4S plus 32 ohm but it has better bass quality (less midbass bleed, faster bass and better accuracy). The 300 ohm's lower mids ain't as recessed and the upper mids ain't as hot as the RY4S plus 32 ohm. Technicalities slightly better on the 300 ohm version too, but not as good as some midfi earbuds.

If u can wait for sales, I got my RY4S 300 ohm at $15 USD from aliexpress. Actually if the mids can be a bit more detailed and the subbass extension better, it can compete with some midfi earbuds in sound quality, but as it is 15 bucks for this kind of sound is excellent. I'll skip a restaurant meal for this for sure.
Thank you bro !

Sep 6, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #18 of 49
We all have a 'Guilty Pleasure' IEM or BUD. A cheap one we don't want to admit to. Under $40. So this is a 'confessional'. What is your Guilty Pleasure IEM? Just one in a post, as many posts as you like. Describe why you like it/them. This is 'Pleasure' so NO critiques at all. Just confess. What is your guilty pleasure IEM or Bud and why?

If would be good to 2nd or 3rd or 4th these reviews in some way. Maybe just by replying, mentioning so. If not, Johnny Sillyears could come and say unilaterally that a certain device is sick. Taking with a grain of salt, nice. But a 2nd, 3rd, etc adds weight to the recommendation... Especially to these lower cost devices as the barrier to enter is super low.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #19 of 49
If would be good to 2nd or 3rd or 4th these reviews in some way. Maybe just by replying, mentioning so. If not, Johnny Sillyears could come and say unilaterally that a certain device is sick. Taking with a grain of salt, nice. But a 2nd, 3rd, etc adds weight to the recommendation... Especially to these lower cost devices as the barrier to enter is super low.

Go for it friend.

Sep 6, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #20 of 49
[D T] (6):

1599381462158.png
1599381498145.png

DD should be BA and vice versa!

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #21 of 49
I was quite taken aback by the sound of the NiceHCK DT100. 'What can a single BA be like' was in my mind. I was surprised at the fact that the DT100 has sub bass and a big sweet sound for such a tiny shell. It doesn't move air so I have no idea how they do it???. It's changed my attitude to single Ba's. NiceHCK do take some clever risks though. A real pleasure.

1599382509161.png

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #22 of 49
I was quite taken aback by the sound of the NiceHCK DT100. 'What can a single BA be like' was in my mind. I was surprised at the fact that the DT100 has sub bass and a big sweet sound for such a tiny shell. It doesn't move air so I have no idea how they do it???. It's changed my attitude to single Ba's. NiceHCK do take some clever risks though. A real pleasure.

1599382509161.png

Nice!

How are they compared to x49?

x49 here.

Sep 6, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #23 of 49
Nice!

How are they compared to x49?

x49 here.

I like the NiceHCK x49 a lot. Very sweet sound....but the NiceHCK DT100 is in another league. It is a very high quality IEM and with a good cable and good tips would surprise anyone. It's hard to figure it's a BA. It retrieves some deeper bass, nice mid-range and no harshness in the upper mids or treble. I can't figure how it does it on a measly little BA..

Sep 6, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #24 of 49
Sep 6, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #25 of 49
Toshiba Gigabeat earbuds...
1599409498046.png

Had two pairs at least. Though the older pair was better and really good. later pair is good but not as good. Still better than Monk and Vido and most of that stuff. Second pair is on par with Snow lotus 1.0+ and earlier pair was a nice step better. Good shape/design as well that is alo better than the Senn housing.

Sep 6, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #26 of 49
Pair of AKGs that came with the Galaxy Note.

I like it because it's "free!"

Sep 6, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #27 of 49
VJJB K4 has a special place on my heart. They might be considered to sound pretty average by many in todays chi-fi-standards but there is something in the tuning that makes them very enjoyable and fun to listen to with certain type of music. I have actually many times took them out of my ears just to check did I really picked the right in-ears from my storage box because the sound exceeded my memories/expectations. And I also love the way they look. I wish that VJJB would come out it with a proper successor to these, I hoped N30 to be that but it's honestly quite bad sounding to me.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #28 of 49
Yincrow X6, easy. This thing is great. One of the few earbuds I truly enjoy and use often, even though I have much more expensive ear buds and IEMs and headphones.
Also, not as cheap as the topic, but Samsung Galaxy Buds. True wireless with good tonality. I use these very often as well.

Sep 6, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #29 of 49
I recently got a pair of Motorola buds for around £3 as a bit of a why not, I used a left over cable from an earlier re-cable and wow, they're great. As goofy and impulse of a purchase they were, it's something I definitely don't regret. Especially when it manages to get really close to being my favourite pair out of all the pairs I've had.

Good find! I have the exact same earbud, but it is branded as 'LG' and not Motorola. Was it easy to open the shells and recable them?

Sep 6, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #30 of 49
Toshiba Gigabeat earbuds...

Had two pairs at least. Though the older pair was better and really good. later pair is good but not as good. Still better than Monk and Vido and most of that stuff. Second pair is on par with Snow lotus 1.0+ and earlier pair was a nice step better. Good shape/design as well that is alo better than the Senn housing.

Mind sharing where you bought this from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back