My first pair of audiophile quality headphones.
Jul 1, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #16 of 25

Quote:
Any particular qualm against closed phones?

You asked for "audiophile quality headphones" so I'd expect these more expensive suggestions if I were you.

I'd also go for the M50 since you'll be using it for gaming, which I imagine will be hours on ends. Decent isolation and comfort and gives you quite a bit of "boom". Not sure about the other suggestions because I've never had/heard them, but I'm sure the M50s will be an upgrade for you.

I just simply do not want closed phones.  I have a pair of noise-cancelling phones for when I want to be anti-social and study, and not be able to hear my roommate/friends, or have conversations with people as they walk by my room in the hall.  I don't like to be completely detached from my environment when I'm playing games/listening to music, I just dont, personally, everyone has different tastes. 

I know my OP was long, and I am sorry, and I know that its why most of you probably did not read it.  But I it was kinda long for a reason.  I have read many similar threads, and people never give enough information about their tastes/wants/preferences/etc...  So normally, people respond to questions about their preferences, and you have to read the whole thread to understand what the person wants.  I tried to get it right the first time.  If you guys would read most of, if not all of my OP before responding, it'd definitely help me out more. 

Thanks again guys, I am getting a lot of good feedback, although it still seems like a tossup between AD700's, Senn HD-555's, and Alessandro MS-1i's

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #17 of 25

Quote:

I just simply do not want closed phones.  I have a pair of noise-cancelling phones for when I want to be anti-social and study, and not be able to hear my roommate/friends, or have conversations with people as they walk by my room in the hall.  I don't like to be completely detached from my environment when I'm playing games/listening to music, I just dont, personally, everyone has different tastes. 

I know my OP was long, and I am sorry, and I know that its why most of you probably did not read it.  But I it was kinda long for a reason.  I have read many similar threads, and people never give enough information about their tastes/wants/preferences/etc...  So normally, people respond to questions about their preferences, and you have to read the whole thread to understand what the person wants.  I tried to get it right the first time.  If you guys would read most of, if not all of my OP before responding, it'd definitely help me out more. 

Thanks again guys, I am getting a lot of good feedback, although it still seems like a tossup between AD700's, Senn HD-555's, and Alessandro MS-1i's

Go with the Alessandro or Senn.

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #18 of 25
The 555 will meet all of your needs. The AD700 will not provide any "boom" and isnt' as good for music IMO, nor is it comfortable for some people. Scratch grado/alessandros off the list for gaming, but great for music. Make sure you use the dolby headphone processing for gaming. If it is anything like CMSS-3D on Creative cards, you will be blown away.

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #19 of 25
Then 555 seem like your best bet, they are a very versatile can that seem to be what you are looking for, good for music and good (as in more realistic than AD700 due to giving more boom) for videogames, and above all with a very easy mod to turn them into 595 if you ever wish to try that.

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #20 of 25

Quote:

I did read the entire post but I'm sorry I didn't digest it very well.

If it helps, I can hear when dinner's ready if I have my M50 on in my room (at a moderately low volume).

Some closed phones isolate better than others but if you're listening to something at a high volume, I reckon you won't be able to hear your room-mate trying to talk to you even if you're using open cans.

The HD555 sounds like a good buy for your needs anyways. I'm not sure how they will perform for your games though...

Jul 1, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #21 of 25

Quote:

I know my OP was long, and I am sorry, and I know that its why most of you probably did not read it.

Your OP was perfect. If you want to feel sorry for something feel sorry for the people who can't take the time to help someone properly. It's those people who shouldn't be posting suggestions anyways.

I've not heard the HD555, but reviews comparing against phones I have heard lead me to think I wouldn't like the HD555. That said, the phone with the least concessions in your price range, imo, is the HD555. It should do a fine job for you.

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #23 of 25

You need closed headphones that are good at not leaking sound out but also are good at letting sound in like an Equation Audio RP21. Your roommate won't want to hear what you're listening to, and you won't necessarily have the same roommate throughout college. I suggest searching RP21 and reading about it before committing to open headphones.

Quote:
I would prefer open headphones. I don't like to feel completely cut off from my environment. If I'm sitting in my dorm room with my roommate, and he says something to me while I'm playing video games or listening to music, I want to be able to at least know that he said something, and maybe even be able to hear what it was that he said.  I also don't like not knowing how loud I'm talking. With closed headphones, I tend to scream into a mic way louder than i should. A bigger soundstage is also a big plus of open headphones for me, for gaming.  That all being said, I don't want to annoy the heck out of my roommate with these headphones when I'm sitting only 5 feet away. I don't listen to headphones too loud either, so I don't see it as being a problem even with open headphones. 

I plan to use these exclusively in my dorm at my computer.  I don't see myself taking them anywhere, but it would be nice if my iPod touch could drive them too.  I will be using this for gaming and music 50/50.

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #24 of 25
I'd recommend the HD555s, even though they've got a bit of a "veil" to them, as opposed to the AD700s.  The AD700s won't have the bass you're looking for, although it is pretty clean and tight.

Jul 4, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #25 of 25
I'm still wiling to send you my HD555's to audition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back