My first pair of audiophile quality headphones.
Jun 30, 2010 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

firyice

New Head-Fier
I am a long time reader, first time poster.  I've never owned any audiophile quality headphones.  I currently have a pair of Phillips noise-canceling that I use to block out some background sound for studying, but I really don't like them for anything else.  What I use to listen to most of my music is my Bose Companion 3's.  I got 'em for free, won 'em in a contest.  They are alright, but I never would have bought them, way overpriced for their quality.  I do like them for my college dorm room though, because they are small and light, which makes moving them every semester so much easier.  Anyways, I can't use them after midnight because of quiet-hours, and plus I don't want to be disturbing my roommate all the time, hence I've decided it is time to get some quality headphones =)  So I have done some research, and I am turning to you guys to help me make my decision on what to buy. 

Let me start by giving you guys as much information as possible.  I've seen quite a few threads like this, and people never seem to give enough info the first time, so I'm gonna try.  My budget is $100. I will go a tad over if necessary.  Most of my music is 320kbps, converted mostly by me from flac with foobar2000 & LAME.  I am ordering an Asus Xonar DX this weekend, so that will be my source.  I do not plan on getting an amp anytime soon, so I want them to be easy to drive.

I would prefer open headphones. I don't like to feel completely cut off from my environment. If I'm sitting in my dorm room with my roommate, and he says something to me while I'm playing video games or listening to music, I want to be able to at least know that he said something, and maybe even be able to hear what it was that he said.  I also don't like not knowing how loud I'm talking. With closed headphones, I tend to scream into a mic way louder than i should. A bigger soundstage is also a big plus of open headphones for me, for gaming.  That all being said, I don't want to annoy the heck out of my roommate with these headphones when I'm sitting only 5 feet away. I don't listen to headphones too loud either, so I don't see it as being a problem even with open headphones. 

I plan to use these exclusively in my dorm at my computer.  I don't see myself taking them anywhere, but it would be nice if my iPod touch could drive them too.  I will be using this for gaming and music 50/50.

Gaming: I play a lot of first-person shooters and RPG's. Currently playing Dragon Age: Origins, Modern Warfare 2, and Crysis. waiting for Starcraft II, Diablo III, Portal 2, Half-life 2 ep3 (I know I'm probably going to be waiting quite a while, lol).  I am not overly competitive, I am more concerned with having fun and being immersed in the experience rather than hearing every single persons footsteps in counter-strike or something.  It'd be nice to hear some nice *boom* in my explosions, but that's probably asking too much out of $100 open cans. 

Music: I listen to a lot of rock, alternative, indie, reggae, and metal. I listen to a bit of everything else, but I do not need the bass that someone who listens mostly to hip-hop/r&b and techno needs. I am not a basshead, but some some tight base is pretty important for some faster rock/metal songs, and some reggae. Some of my favorite bands are Modest Mouse, Radiohead, Coldplay, The Decemberists, Vampire Weekend, Arcade Fire, Citizen Cope, System of a Down, Bob Marley, Sublime, 311, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I am learning towards the ATH-AD700's. I am slightly worried about how big they are, since I've heard of them slipping off people's heads quite easily. But I will be using these at my desk, and I don't plan on any headbanging. I am also put off by the fact that I imagine them looking goofy on my head.  I imagine getting a few "you know you look dumb, right?"s from my friends with them on. 

I had some slight interest in the HD-555's also, but I've heard they are somewhat inferior to the 700's, mostly regarding soundstage and tightness of bass.  I've also been given some recommendations for M50's, MS1s, and RX900, although I really don't know much about any of them. 

I do not plan on doing any modding.  If a "mod" includes just taking out a foam piece or something, that's one thing, but I don't want to be buying ear pads from other headphones, or buying and replacing wires/drivers/etc...

Thanks in advanced for the advice guys!  I know this is a monster post, so I really appreciate you guys reading it and helping me out!

Jun 30, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 25
Want to try my HD555's at all? I can let you borrow them to try before you buy.

Jun 30, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 25
Grado SR-80 should be considered also. I've not heard any of your other phones you mention, but the SR-80s did sound great with the genres you spoke of. I personally hate the fit of Grados, but many love them as is or with a simple pad swap. I also prefer more laid back phones like Sennheisers, but that's another story.

Jul 1, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 25
Given that you mention that you want boom in the explosions and realism instead of competitive gaming, I would recommend the HD555 (which can be easily modded by opening them, which is easy, and removing a little piece of foam to sound as good as HD595) and M50 over the AD700, which are very lacking in bass quantity IME (and the modded 555 bass is very tight).

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 25
My first audiophile cans is Grado SR60.
biggrin.gif

I'm a musicphile by the way.
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 25
AD700 if your going to be gaming more often
MS-1 if your going to be listening to music more often.

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #8 of 25

Kidding.
Why don you try the Denon ah-d1001? They are the best portable cans under 200$ imo. If you can, try increasing your budget and get the denon ahd2000. They are my top cans next to the HD 800.

Jul 1, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #9 of 25
i'd get the Creative Aurvana Live's if you're thinking D1000's...same thing but cheaper

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #11 of 25
I'll give another vote to Sennheiser HD555. Great cans for the money in my opinion. I haven't heard the AD700 but I've read they're quite bright. HD555 are neutral or slightly warm so maybe it comes down to your sound signature preference. Also, they are the most comfortable headphones I've owned.

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #12 of 25
For music like rock, I don't recommend the AD700. To me, they sound far too brittle and fatiguing--plus, they lack bass and leak a way lot of sound. I also don't like their tonality. Airy is good, it just sounds cold and dry a lot of the time. Great for vocals though, they give a transparent sort of presentation.

I would recommend a Grado model to you. Any of them are great, maybe start with the SR225 though.

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #13 of 25

Quote:
My first audiophile cans is Grado SR60.
biggrin.gif

I'm a musicphile by the way.
biggrin.gif

Grados have very little soundstage are not suited for gaming though.

For the OP's needs of both gaming and doing music justice, the HD555 will do, and also Senn's new 4xx offering, the HD438.

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #14 of 25

Quote:
Some of you guys are jumping way over my budget, and throwing in closed phones, all without stating any reasons.  

Any particular qualm against closed phones?

You asked for "audiophile quality headphones" so I'd expect these more expensive suggestions if I were you.

I'd also go for the M50 since you'll be using it for gaming, which I imagine will be hours on ends. Decent isolation and comfort and gives you quite a bit of "boom". Not sure about the other suggestions because I've never had/heard them, but I'm sure the M50s will be an upgrade for you.

Jul 1, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #15 of 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by firyice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My budget is $100. I will go a tad over if necessary.

I do not plan on getting an amp anytime soon, so I want them to be easy to drive.

I would prefer open headphones. I don't like to feel completely cut off from my environment.

it would be nice if my iPod touch could drive them too.  I will be using this for gaming and music 50/50.

Gaming: I play a lot of first-person shooters and RPG's. It'd be nice to hear some nice *boom* in my explosions, but that's probably asking too much out of $100 open cans. 

Music: I listen to a lot of rock, alternative, indie, reggae, and metal.

I do not plan on doing any modding.  If a "mod" includes just taking out a foam piece or something, that's one thing, but I don't want to be buying ear pads from other headphones, or buying and replacing wires/drivers/etc...

For those of you that don't have the measly 5 minutes to read his post I've condensed it so you can recommend cans that follow the above restrictions. Stop recommending closed headphones and those costing $200 or more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back