My First Hi-Fi Headphones: Koss PortaPro vs AGK vs other??? Help to chose the better
Sep 14, 2010 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

antigen

New Head-Fier
Hi to all!

I'm searching an headphones, my first headphone to listen in quality my music.

I have googled and I have find that the better producers are Koss, AGK, Sennheiser.

I have a budget of 50-60 $ and I have see that on this level I can buy some headphones as the:

- Porta pro by koss  (near 39 $)
- AGK 514
- Sennheiser different models, Hd202, 212 etc...

Can you hel pme to chose a very good headphones with my budget? I have read that open are better of closed if I need to listen to home. I have see that all the high-end headphones are open or semi-open

- I will listen music at home
- I want quality and comfort
- possibile if exist an entry level audiphile qualityheadphones
- i listen different music type, but all on CD or in FLAC, NO MP3 or other compressed music, I love quality music.

Please Help me in this difficult choice of the better headphones.

Thanks

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 16
SR60i from Grado seems fit your budget nicely..

or you can get the HD438 from sennheiser but those two are different sounding.

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 16
I have heard that GRADO 60i are very very excellent headphone.

And the HD438?

The only problem is... where I can buy grado 60i? I don't find anything here in europe.

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 16
What genre of music do you listen to? Is noise isolation important?

I heartily recommend the Portapros (or the Grado SR-60i), if you are okay with open-backed headphones. They will let noise in and out, but it sounds great. I wasn't too impressed with my Sennheiser HD-202's. AKG tends to have a flatter frequency response, so not sure if you like that sound (I do - it's great for classical music).

Sep 14, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 16
Depending on what country you live in, there are several of the forum's sponsors that are authorized Grado Dealers.  Two I have done business with personally and have had great luck with are HeadRoom Corp, and Todd The Vinyl Junkie, both based out of Montana, and there may be local dealers in your area as well, as well as few other forum sponsors are Grado dealers.  I would avoid eBay and other auction sites as they are rampant with counterfeit merchandise.  Stick with authorized dealers.

--Eric

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 16
I don't think there are any Grado imitations out there...it's a pretty niche brand and there's not much profit going into making them.

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #11 of 16
antigen,

Grado's website is http://www.gradolabs.com/  If you enter their website, click on the "find a dealer" tab on the bottom of the page, then scroll down past the US dealers, there is a listing for the worldwide distributors of Grado products, including Italy, and there is contact info listed for them on that page.  If I were you I would e-mail or call the distributor to find a dealer that is close to you, where you can audition them before you buy them.

--Eric

Sep 14, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #13 of 16
Look into the KSC75. It's cheaper than the portapro but uses a titanium-coated version of the same driver. Sound is a bit more detailed and less boomy and the value is phenomenal.

Sep 14, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #14 of 16
If you want something circumaural, and closed, the HD438 would probably fit the bill, as they should be similar to the HD448 that I own, but with a deeper bass response and velour-like cloth earpads instead of the pleather ones on the HD448.  The HD448's are probably out of your price range, but the HD438's should be around the price range you are looking for.  Also, a used pair of AKG K240 Studio headphones would be semi-open, circumaural headphones that you also may want to consider.

--Eric

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
 Also, a used pair of AKG K240 Studio headphones would be semi-open, circumaural headphones that you also may want to consider.

--Eric

NOOO, he's looking for semi-closed, not semi-open
wink.gif

A reference to the very similar "half-filled, half-empty" perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back