My First Cans: RX900 or SRH840
Aug 3, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #16 of 38
My first pair of "quality" headphones were a pair of Shure SRH840's.  I had similar requirements, I use them exclusively at work so they could not leak any sound.  I also was looking for the best price/performance ratio in my dollar range, and the Shure's fit the bill perfectly.

I have had them for about half a year, and LOVE these headphones.  They sound great, are very comfortable to wear, and are easy to drive.  I have only used them a few times for gaming, but they worked just fine.

If you decide to go for the Shure's you will not regret it!

Aug 3, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #17 of 38
@classakg: I'd love to audition both, but there really isn't any place nearby area to do so--I live in the suburbs of NYC, in NJ. I could always venture into the city for a day, though...

@1Time: The RX900s are "sort of" closed. I've heard that they don't leak very much, but I haven't had the opportunity to confirm that.

@Katun: I really appreciate your advice... I think you've nailed exactly what it comes down to: a budget. The problem is that I don't really have one. I'm not a poor, cheap college student just yet--I will be in a few months. "Technically," I could get away with buying the Shures before I leave, along with hundreds of dollars in other gear for college, but obviously I'm trying to keep that to a minimum. But you're right... It really has to be what works best for me, and while I think both pairs would work equally well, the Shures have the added advantage of "some" portability and greater diversity in use. If I can convince myself to spend $120 on a device I've never really used before, I think I'll take the plunge. Otherwise I'll stick it safe with the RX900s.

@radu: Thanks! Everyone seems to love the Shures, and I love hearing about people's great experiences with them. :)

Aug 3, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #18 of 38
I'm supprised no one has menitioned it yet.  I was in the same price range as you and ended up going with the AudioTechnica ATH-M50's you can get them for $116 or so from B&H with free shipping.  I had previously had the SRH-440's but they had to go back because they were horridly uncomfortable.  I've since had the chance to A/B the SRH-840's with my M50's and while the 840's weren't bad, I was very happy I'd gone with the M50's.  

Aug 3, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #19 of 38
If we're suggesting alternatives, what about the Shure SRH750DJ? Not the most comfortable in the world (until your head deforms into the right shape) but, as I understand it, similar sound quality to the 840 (I use mine with an E5 from an iPod and they're stunning), they certainly don't leak (I have mine plenty loud in the office) and I believe they're more durable than the 840 too - as a DJ headphone, you can fold 'em up and stow them. 

Oh, and they're a fair bit cheaper, too. 

Aug 3, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #20 of 38
Aug 3, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #21 of 38
@GreenStreak: I'm not a huge fan of the ATH-M50s for a number of reasons, so I'm not considering them.

@SimH: How do you think the 750s compare to the 840s? I don't really need DJ headphones, and I prefer the look of the 840s, but if I could find the 750s for significantly cheaper than $120, I'd give them a shot.

@rusitnpiece: I have an average-sized head, but it protrudes a bit in the back. Interesting observation about the Shure's discomfort... I've really only heard things about how comfortable they are. I'll take that into consideration. Also, portability is relative--the Shures are more portable than the RX900s (I imagine) but not portable like Koss PortaPros. For starters, they have a removable cable that's coiled so that it's not as long; also, they fold up into themselves and can fit in the (relatively) small pouch they ship with. Also, I'll pass on the Creatives--I've never been a huge fan of their products, and I'd prefer the JVCs to the Aurvanas. But thanks for the suggestion! 

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #22 of 38
Don't know how they compare directly (haven't heard the 840s) but I faced a similar choice to yourself and I went for the 750s because a) they're cheaper b) they're more 'portable' (you can fold them up) and c) the specs looked the same bar the 750s had larger drivers and, to my understanding, had 'more' bass colouration - they certainly extend waaaay down. I think the deal is that Shure are a flat headphone (ie little 'colouration'), but the DJ has more bass because that's what DJs like... or something... anyway, I love 'em. 

Shame that leakage is a problem for you because I also bought some Sony XB700s for about £40 on eBay and they're unbelievably comfy - you look daft because you basically have two cushions on your head - and the sound quality is stunning too. Too much bass for some! But a good soundstage, I reckon, and decent mids. But they leak like crazy...

My Grado SR60s are currently sitting in a case, unused, because of the 750s and XBs.

Aug 3, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:
@Katun: I really appreciate your advice... I think you've nailed exactly what it comes down to: a budget. The problem is that I don't really have one. I'm not a poor, cheap college student just yet--I will be in a few months. "Technically," I could get away with buying the Shures before I leave, along with hundreds of dollars in other gear for college, but obviously I'm trying to keep that to a minimum. But you're right... It really has to be what works best for me, and while I think both pairs would work equally well, the Shures have the added advantage of "some" portability and greater diversity in use. If I can convince myself to spend $120 on a device I've never really used before, I think I'll take the plunge. Otherwise I'll stick it safe with the RX900s.

Hmm, if you're not on a budget, then I would definitely go for the SRH840's. I think you will find the transition from your speakers to those a 'breath-taking' experience. Plus, the benefits of getting those will make it so you don't have to upgrade as nearly as soon as if you got the RX900. (That is assuming you will upgrade sometime in the future)

(I just have a felling you will soon learn to really love headphones. Especially if you are going for the Shure)

Aug 3, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #24 of 38

Quote:
Hmm, if you're not on a budget, then I would definitely go for the SRH840's. I think you will find the transition from your speakers to those a 'breath-taking' experience. Plus, the benefits of getting those will make it so you don't have to upgrade as nearly as soon as if you got the RX900. (That is assuming you will upgrade sometime in the future)

(I just have a felling you will soon learn to really love headphones. Especially if you are going for the Shure)

Haha, well I found my Bx5as to be pretty breathtaking myself! We shall see though.

Btw--just curious--what were your first pair of headphones? 

Aug 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #25 of 38
Let me also cast a vote for the 840s.  Especially at that price, you're not going to go wrong.  They are fairly easy to drive, they do sound good unamped (though it really is worth at some point throwing down a little money for a basic, entry level DAC/AMP combo like the e7 or uDac).  They are very heavy, but I have never found them to be uncomfortable (and I also have a pretty normal size head with bit of a ridge at the back).  Not like AD-700 level comfortable, but that's pretty hard to attain.  If you've never had a good set of cans before, these will absolutely blow your mind.

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #26 of 38

Quote:
I'm pretty shure he doesn't want sound leakage. I have to agree with you on the cable, but you can order a straight cable. And, how do you know  the shape of the OPs head??(LOL)

Are you talking about isolating or insulating? I'm not sure how much the extra cable costs, but as the OP is already hesitant on the price of the SRH840s, I wouldn't want him to empty his wallet any more. Also, I'm psychic... But only to the degree of being able to tell the shapes of heads over the internet.

For the OP:

This is what I meant by the headphones not conforming to the head (well, average head). One point of contact with the center of the headband (where the pressure focuses on) and no other grip support other than the ear pads. For most folks, these are moderately uncomfortable over time and do not securely stay on the head. If you have a seriously square shape head, these might just fit you like a glove though.

Also, I noticed someone mentioned the ATH-M50s. I have a friend who picked up a pair and they enjoy them quite a bit (music styles: rock, trance, jpop, hip hop). I have not heard them so I can't comment on them personally.

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #27 of 38
@Landis: That's an interesting observation about the fit of the Shures. Apparently these are available in most, if not all, Apple stores--so if I do decide to buy them, I can try them out there first. 

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #28 of 38

Quote:
Don't know how they compare directly (haven't heard the 840s) but I faced a similar choice to yourself and I went for the 750s because a) they're cheaper b) they're more 'portable' (you can fold them up) and c) the specs looked the same bar the 750s had larger drivers and, to my understanding, had 'more' bass colouration - they certainly extend waaaay down. I think the deal is that Shure are a flat headphone (ie little 'colouration'), but the DJ has more bass because that's what DJs like... or something... anyway, I love 'em. 

I have owned both, and I feel the 840s would probably be the better choice. I personally use the 750s, but I use a portable amp (ibasso D10)which really helps them. Unamped the 840s are real nice phones for $120.00

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #29 of 38
I've got the Shure SRH840's and they're great; I totally agree with all the positive feedback here. They're currently the best cans in my collection and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. For the price I don't think you can do better, and I'm sure if you buy them you'll be happy for years to come.

However, while they're super comfortable I would not call the Shure cans small and/or light (as others above have already noted),  and if they're really just a backup for your speakers I have another suggestion for you: the Sennheiser HD202's. I purchased a 5-pack of them (~$100 for 5 pairs!) at bswusa.com to use for large podcast recording sessions and I have been really pleasantly surprised at how good the sound quality is. Originally I didn't intend to use them for listening to music, etc., as I assumed they couldn't be that good if they only cost $20 for a pair. However, for the last year or so I've used them on a daily basis at my office and have really enjoyed them. It took a couple of weeks for the plastic headband to adjust to my head, but since then they've been comfortable, light, reasonably unobtrusive, and if they get stolen or broken you're only out $20-$25.

I'm sure you'll be happy with either choice, but if you'd like to find an inexpensive, lightweight headphone that you can cart around campus in a backpack and not worry about damaging or losing them, give the Senn HD202's a shot - worst case you're out $20-$25. And for what it's worth, I'm listening to my HD202's as I write this even though the Shure 840's are only 10 feet away. To my ears the 202's are a good headphone at an unbelievable price.

Hope this helps!

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #30 of 38
You need closed portable headphones for these uses. You will be in close proximity to others in a quiet environment. The RX900 won't cut it - I currently own it. I own a modified HAS700 and suggest considering a JVC HAS900 ~$65.

Quote:

This headphones would function in following settings:
  1. Use late at night in my dorm room when I cannot use my speakers because my roommate is sleeping/studying.
  2. Playing games (CSS, SC2, etc.) when I don't want people to know I'm playing games. :p
  3. Listening outside as I'm studying under the trees (and want better SQ than Apple's earbuds).
  4. Listening to music in the library while I'm working on schoolwork.
  5. Listening to music on the plane as I travel from home (east coast) to school (west coast).

As such, I've decided that I'll need a pair of CLOSED headphones. They will be UNAMPED; my source is a macbook pro. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back