My early impression of Denon AH-D2000
Apr 12, 2011 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

codeninja

100+ Head-Fier
If you know enough about this headphone to form your own opinion on D2000, this thread is probably not for you. I recently purchased a D2000, and this headpone was very intriguing to me in many ways.

I've seen people comparing this to $120 M50 to $500 HD650. I've heard people calling this headphone, bass heavy dark to bright. I had to find out for myself where this wild swing of opinion comes from.

I've only broken in D2000 for over-night before writing this, but I've seen some signs that explain some of those questions of mine that I'd like to share.

First I've had M50 before, and in my opinion, while the unamped characteristics are similar between D2000 and M50, D2000's high is more pronounced and M50 has more bass (flabby). I found the soundstage of D2000 to be definitely superior to M50's which is pretty much around my ear only.

Amped and unamped, the sibilance concern on D2000 doesn't apply to me. For your reference, I've returned Sony MDR7506 for its sibilance among other complains.

Unamped, I can hear D2000's bass uncontrolled flabby. However, I sort of like the way bass sound because it gives me the feeling of warm sound in some cases. I can see myself enjoying it with certain kinds of music. Some albums like Lady Gaga unamped on D2000 was too much bass for me, though.

With my LDI+, bass got tighten up, and feels quite less. It seems extending down further than my HD598, but HD598 sounds warmer with music that has decent amount of low midrange.

In fact, listening to music that doesn't have much of low bass, but mostly highs and midrange, with D2000, it definitely sounds brighter than my HD598.

While HD598 sounds smooth and natural to me, D2000's emphasis on high and bass makes it sound fun. With LDI+, I don't have the problem of recessed midrange. HD598 gives me the feeling of live stage, whereas D2000 makes my rock music (80th rock that is) more fun with strong high and bass; Journey, Queen, and Bonnie Tyler to name a few. However, it didn't help Asia's Alpha. The album sounded great when I listen to it back in the 80th on cassette tape.

Since many mentioned that D2000 will take more burn-in, I'll wait until D2000 completely settles down, but as it is, amped bass of D2000 seemed not too much, whereas unamped is totally different story.

In conclusion, between HD598 and D2000, I think, I'm covering my music genres pretty much. My journey to complete my headphone system is coming to an end. Only if I add DAC to my chain. :)

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 4
It's been a week, and the famous D2000 bass and overall characteristic started to show up. I understand some comments regarding sub-woofer like bass. At this point, I don't know how much change I should be anticipating, but I'm pretty happy as it is, now.

I think I love the punch deep bass on my rock music. Depending on music the bass gets too much, but I have HD598 for those music. Between D2000 and HD598 using LDI+ amp, I'm pretty much covered.

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 4
Now you just need some grados and then you'll be covered. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back