My DIY electrostatic headphones
Jan 18, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #3,211 of 4,059
Jz7UpGi.jpg

In this case only one cable is not have double insulation but it still insulated from the outside, it called shielded wire.
The shield wire used on my Et1000 as Bias cable (with same structure).
I decide to change it on my build model a little bit and set the -- minus as shielded one and the internal cable will use Red cable for ++Plus and Back for Bias voltage.
I think that it safety enough, regular headphones not having any issue to use one isolation layer, Stax headphones using only one layer for each of 3 wires for each side.
I know the electronics roll that the modern electricity cable must have dual insulation, but we still talks only about headphones and wiring for it.
Double-Insulated.jpg

another questions about the anty-static spray:
- Why the resistance is gone after the spray dries ? what to do to keep this resistance ?
- If I having some vintage headphones, do they need new re-coating on the diaphragm to work better (like old Stax old one)?
Hi Legopart, if you can, don't use the shielded cables, they are heavier and have higher capacitance. And using shield as a signal or bias wire is not a good idea. It will work for sure, but you may get some noises and hums. Also please check the specifications for the insulation of the cable - it should be no less, than the bias voltage, otherwise you risk leakages between cables.
The flat ribbon cables are better with capacitance and easy to work with. I used 10 wires flat ribbon cable, skipping every second wire (not connected) , so you increase the insulation and decrease the capacitance at the same time. A standard stereo audio cable (like it looks from your picture) will also work, but I don't think the isolation voltage is more than 2-300 V.
The resistance of 1Mohm for a membrane is low, I don't know how you measure it, but of course once it's dry, you can't get reading anymore unless you have a special high resistance Ohm-meter. Don't worry - even you can't measure it, it is there - probably around 100 MOhm or more, which cannot be measured with a standard multi-meter.

Jan 18, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #3,212 of 4,059
thanks!
I will check about the insulation leakage, for 580v +

another question:
Do old vintage headphones like Stax need re-coating for sound better ? do someone tried to restore old headphones with re-coating the membrane ?

Jan 18, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #3,215 of 4,059
I almost forgot that I had a pair of baby Orpheus - HE60. To my ears, they sound just so, so. :jecklinsmile:

That is very interesting.

I have always considered the HE-60s to be my end game headphones.

I have been dragging my feet for a couple years now to build some electrostatic headphones. My HE-500s broke, and we just moved into an apartment with walls that are thinner than paper. So now is as good as time as any I suppose.

I hate to ask you such a broad question, but in your opinion, which designs have you done that sound better than the HE-60s? I have always liked the HE-60s for their bass and warmer tone. If you have produced something better, I would be REALLY interested in copying and iterating on it.

Jan 18, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #3,216 of 4,059
To my ears, HE60 is too bright. It also lacks deep bass.

Either round or oval shape headphones like my design can be made to sound better. The most critical thing is to tension the diaphragms to just the right tension. But it's not easy. It'll take a lot of practice, but it's well worth the effort.

Jan 19, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #3,217 of 4,059
Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #3,218 of 4,059
Jan 19, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #3,219 of 4,059
How much force do you use for the dust membrane ?

I need to repair on mine the membrane too on one side :frowning2:
maybe I will buy a glue spray ...
Just a little. I am doing it on table with tape.

Jan 19, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #3,220 of 4,059
I fail to restore: Stax Lambda Normal (Normal bias)
I put a new membrane on each driver.
1- I done not quality work with fast qlue.
2- I disappointed from the stars

The sound is so quite and after 3/4 of the volume it scratching.
maybe connect it to pro bias like stax Lambda pro

I can afford another one {after having the Pro one} :frowning2:
EHpLB16.jpg

9SVEKz8.jpg

wg1C4GD.jpg

SPZ7HO1.jpg

ZvhlQV5.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #3,223 of 4,059
Hey all :) my first measurment with my recently bought miniDSP Ears measurehead :)
i also plan on measuring impulse response and found a way to measure this with arta but its awkward :/ any of you measure your headphones? if so which soft and hardware?

my setup is as follows:
miniDSP ears connected to my windows 10 workstation.
with REW i made an offline measurement file (https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/help_en-GB/html/offlinemeasurements.html) that i play then via my mediastreamer dac (soekris DAM1021) into my alpha centauri V06 eshp amp and then into my V001 Headphones see attached image
js hp v001 left right.png

jep my seal sucks as i can confirm very bad bass :D but now with the minidsp EARS i can make lot of test for example mylar tension differnt coatings and so on :)

here is a image of my headphones with the minidsp ears measure rig:
jseshpv001.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back