My DIY electrostatic headphones
Mar 24, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #2,585 of 4,058
That's a cool looking headband and surround! Some construction notes would be good.
And still a picture of your stretcher frame would be appreciated.

David.

Edited: Is the active area really 12.5cm? Or is it 12.5cm overall surround dia.

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #2,589 of 4,058
Hi ts8051,

I really don't know how you do it.  From the picture, you'r using single sided PCB for the stators.  You said earlier that your stator thickness is only 0.6 mm.  Do you use PCB that has a very thick layer of copper?  

For all my headphones, the maximum diameter of the active area is only 80 mm.  And yet, it's not so easy to tension the diaphragm on the 0.5 mm spacer so that it's stable and produce good bass.  

I only can guess that you are driving your headphones using a pair of step up transformers and the bias voltage is quite low too, right?

Please tell us.  How do you drive your headphones?  What is your bias voltage?

Wachara C.

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #2,590 of 4,058

The bias voltage is 580v as i use stax ergizer. the copper layer on stators is thick 80micron. After mylar tension and apply conductive material, I attach the spacer psb's on it with epoxy glue. Also I clean  with aceton the excess of glue in order to have a clean membrane attached to the spacer pcb. After 24 hours with a small soldering iron I remove the glued pcb's. Please note that in this stage because of high tension and low thickness of pcb's we observe a distortion. When I put these with other pcb's (stators and the other spacer with copper) the whole system is flat. The secret for success is tension and the quality of glue.
This is not the only ESL headphone is was constructed. Before this I constructed with the same method a rectangular in shape headphone with success.
Please note that I studing with experiments the ESL Construction from 1985 with i was a student in Physics and studied the N. Pollock article from wireless world magazine. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #2,593 of 4,058
Hello,
My headphones are louder that my stax sr407, but sr407 is more musical.Now i am looking for the reasons caused it and then i will develop new designAlso i observed that my headphones are ply better with transistor based energizer rhan with my stax tube energizer. I suppose that this happens because of vey high capacity berween plates.
My other designed headphone rectungular in spape with total 20% lower active membrane surface plays better with my tube energizer. Possibly the stax tube energizer cannot accept very high capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back