Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Aug 6, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #1,321 of 1,502
I had an early gen Pegasus and had to get it modded for I2S via Hdmi. Its not that denafrips or pegasus is non-standard, its that I2S has no standard. Fortunately, with denafrips and pegasus, you can config the dac to one of many I2S pinouts to make it work.

Your gremlin problem sounds like you need to galvanically isolate your USB.
Ok I see. Guess I just need to figure out if I have old or new gen.

Aug 6, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #1,322 of 1,502
Aww yea got an aliexpress I2s Cable that's pre set for the pegasus pretty cool. Just order and tell them the version of dac that you have. Gonna take a few weeks to get though. Also went with a black dragon aes cable. I will report back in time the results.

Aug 7, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #1,323 of 1,502
If anyone has experience on this or any opinion would be fine as well - would a Draco + DDC (Singxer SU6, Musician Pisces, etc) be better, equal to or still less than just a Pegasus via USB?

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #1,324 of 1,502
Wow Gustard U18... Just buy one. So worth the money especially at my level of stuff. Toslink is sounding good. Next up a streamer and linear power supply. Still getting pops when I load up games with my gaming PC. I thought the U18 might would cure that but nope. Thankfully it sounds so dang amazing I just don't care! I have a purple fuse coming for it as well. Gotta complete the purple fuse collection. I am skeptical it's going to do much this time though.

Aug 9, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #1,325 of 1,502
Them Purple fuses are the real deal, huh?

Pro tip: A couple of times a year they have a "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" sale....

Aug 10, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #1,326 of 1,502
Them Purple fuses are the real deal, huh?

Pro tip: A couple of times a year they have a "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" sale....
Yup for sure. Going to see what it does in the U18 vs Peg and WOO. Will be some interesting information to witness. The U18 has been very impactful in the chain. Better texture/stage and better timing. The Peg did not like the USB from PC that is for sure. My U18 doesn't either but it alot better than straight to the Peg. Got a black dragon AES cable getting here today gonna be fun to compare with Toslink. Toslink is really nice so far.

Aug 10, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #1,327 of 1,502
I run purples in everything that takes them, including my Woo WA5-LE. Sold both of my 6SE's with them in it. Won't have it any other way until I'm ready to try the direct solder mods...

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #1,329 of 1,502
So I added the purple fuse to my U18 after everything else.. once again surprise surprise. I'd say just as much a difference as putting it into my amp. Right away a nice difference. I found out I have bad power where I live and I have a power supply coming which should cure the bad power. I've noticed the sound becomes harsh/muddled at high traffic times of the day and resolves back to nice smooth sound late at night ect. It seems having a fuse in every part of the chain is helping and it's not as bad when it's bad now and the U18 was the weak link.

I am learning how this DAC sounds different with different inputs. So far USB<Toslink<AES Pretty cool to have such options, they really do sound different. U18 + Toslink was a seriously nice compliment then I got a Black Dragon AES cable and it's a clear step or two further. It's warm and it increases separation even further also clearly boosting detail and naturalness vs Amazon Toslink. Def a keeper I am happy. I haven't heard anything this good before. Next up is AVPlay I2s. Really loving the Peg worth every penny and a half so far

Aug 14, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #1,330 of 1,502
So I added the purple fuse to my U18 after everything else.. once again surprise surprise. I'd say just as much a difference as putting it into my amp. Right away a nice difference. I found out I have bad power where I live and I have a power supply coming which should cure the bad power. I've noticed the sound becomes harsh/muddled at high traffic times of the day and resolves back to nice smooth sound late at night ect. It seems having a fuse in every part of the chain is helping and it's not as bad when it's bad now and the U18 was the weak link.

I am learning how this DAC sounds different with different inputs. So far USB<Toslink<AES Pretty cool to have such options, they really do sound different. U18 + Toslink was a seriously nice compliment then I got a Black Dragon AES cable and it's a clear step or two further. It's warm and it increases separation even further also clearly boosting detail and naturalness vs Amazon Toslink. Def a keeper I am happy. I haven't heard anything this good before. Next up is AVPlay I2s. Really loving the Peg worth every penny and a half so far
Another satisfied customer!

Aug 15, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #1,331 of 1,502
Many people buy loads of purple fuses with their hard earned money and could use it for something more fundamental, i.e. the Uptone Etherregen. Once the new ones become available.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #1,332 of 1,502
Many people buy loads of purple fuses with their hard earned money and could use it for something more fundamental, i.e. the Uptone Etherregen. Once the new ones become available.
I think that is true. It is a balance depending on the budget and how far you have built your audio chain ect.

But wow if you find out you have bad power at certain times of the day these fuses make waiting on a power supply much more bearable. The last 4 days I have been able to actually enjoy listening at high traffic times of the day. It's definitely no were near as good sounding as in the morning or late night but it was almost unbearable at those times just missing one fuse in the chain. It was driving me crazy haha. I'm going on 4 days in a row now just praising this fuse... I am THANKFUL for it.

Aug 17, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #1,333 of 1,502
I have only a few hours on it so just as a first impression this would be to me what a matured R2R tech would sound like. Musical and sounding very analog but with the detail, resolution and layering of modern day SD DACs. Not leaving me wanting for extension at the freq extremes. Coming from Resolution Cantata DAC which can still hold its own but maybe needs some updating to keep up with the latest. I'm quite impressed so far. The silver finish is not as nice as I thought, not sure black would be an improvement though. Minor complaints.
20230817_150740.jpg

Aug 18, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #1,334 of 1,502
I have only a few hours on it so just as a first impression this would be to me what a matured R2R tech would sound like. Musical and sounding very analog but with the detail, resolution and layering of modern day SD DACs. Not leaving me wanting for extension at the freq extremes. Coming from Resolution Cantata DAC which can still hold its own but maybe needs some updating to keep up with the latest. I'm quite impressed so far. The silver finish is not as nice as I thought, not sure black would be an improvement though. Minor complaints.
20230817_150740.jpg
Have you upgraded the fuses(s) yet? If not, pro tip: Synergistic Research Purple fuse(s).

You're welcome.

Aug 19, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #1,335 of 1,502
Have you upgraded the fuses(s) yet? If not, pro tip: Synergistic Research Purple fuse(s).

You're welcome.
How can you have so many lines in your signature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back