Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Nov 17, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #1,082 of 1,499
The Pegasus was the first DAC I bought that really made me realize how much a DAC can improve one's listening experience. Coming from a Topping D90, the Pegasus was a massive (can't be overstated) improvement. The jump from the Topping D90 to the Pegasus, in my opinion, was a far greater jump than from the Pegasus to the Holo May KTE!

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #1,083 of 1,499
Wow, so you have to physically disconnect one pair of cables to switch outputs from one amp to another?
Yes. I can't remember the exact term, but it has to do with splitting the output voltage across two unequal taps, causing an impedance mismatch (or something like that). It causes a significant drop in output voltage and introduces potential (giggity) noise into the chain. "Phantom Drain" or something like that....it's been too long since I read about it.

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #1,084 of 1,499
I guess you could use some kind of selector like the One Little Bear. They come in different setups of XLR/RCA in/outputs.

Or I could probably use my Burson Soloist 3XP as a preamp for the stereo amp? That would solve everything.

1668759649520.png

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #1,085 of 1,499
Based on the recommendations in this thread I bought a Purple Fuse from Synergistic Research. Luckily, I only needed one with my 230V Pegasus.

This is my first ever HiFi fuse, and I have to say I was rather sceptical. Posts from some experienced and reputable members in this thread like @ColSaulTigh and other people I trust outside Head-Fi convinced me to give it a go. I like to keep an open mind and try everything myself, and the 30 day return policy means I have nothing to lose.

I do hear a difference between cables (there is a lot more to cable design than just the type of metal), so I thought I might as well hear the improvement of an upgraded fuse. There is a difference/improvement and it is easily audible. What improves is clarity, tightness and dynamics most of all. The sound becomes livelier and clearer, perhaps also a bit better balanced and more neutral. All the instruments/singers stand out a bit more, with better depth.

The clarity was welcomed immediately, but initially it felt I have lost a bit of smoothness and warmth as well. Bass also felt lesser in quantity.
After some listening, I soon realised that the smoothness and warmth is not really gone, it is just not covering the whole soundstage. Like a blanket was lifted and only the nice warm/smooth tonality of the clearly separated individual instruments remained.
Bass was also not gone, just became more focused and controlled.
(I always found 100, 200 hours of burn in time exaggerating, but often there are changes in the first 24 hours.)

Another interesting thing to note is the usage of NOS mode. The difference between NOS and non-NOS mode on the Pegasus is quite subtle to my ears, but present. With the stock fuse I often liked to switch off NOS mode (light off) as it added ever so slightly quicker transients and upper mid/treble clarity. With the Purple fuse there is significantly more clarity, so I started to prefer NOS mode (light on) as it adds a little bit of warmth/colour to vocals and a bit more spaciousness; a nicer overall tone.

For some readers I have to mention that fuses and cables are for fine tuning your ideal system. Changing DACs and amps will make a lot bigger difference than changing fuses or cables. Yet, with these fine tuning options the performance of your system can be improved.

I would also like to mention that the Pegasus is already fantastic with stock fuse(s). The Purple fuse (I haven't tried any other) is for those who like their Pegasus but want to squeeze out a little more clarity, tightness, and control from it. With the extra clarity comes the sensation of bigger space too, especially depth.

It might not be worth it for everyone, but I am sure keeping this fuse as to my ears it has improved the technical performance of the Pegasus which I already liked in its stock form.

Nov 18, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #1,086 of 1,499
Based on the recommendations in this thread I bought a Purple Fuse from Synergistic Research. Luckily, I only needed one with my 230V Pegasus.

This is my first ever HiFi fuse, and I have to say I was rather sceptical. Posts from some experienced and reputable members in this thread like @ColSaulTigh and other people I trust outside Head-Fi convinced me to give it a go. I like to keep an open mind and try everything myself, and the 30 day return policy means I have nothing to lose.

I do hear a difference between cables (there is a lot more to cable design than just the type of metal), so I thought I might as well hear the improvement of an upgraded fuse. There is a difference/improvement and it is easily audible. What improves is clarity, tightness and dynamics most of all. The sound becomes livelier and clearer, perhaps also a bit better balanced and more neutral. All the instruments/singers stand out a bit more, with better depth.

The clarity was welcomed immediately, but initially it felt I have lost a bit of smoothness and warmth as well. Bass also felt lesser in quantity.
After some listening, I soon realised that the smoothness and warmth is not really gone, it is just not covering the whole soundstage. Like a blanket was lifted and only the nice warm/smooth tonality of the clearly separated individual instruments remained.
Bass was also not gone, just became more focused and controlled.
(I always found 100, 200 hours of burn in time exaggerating, but often there are changes in the first 24 hours.)

Another interesting thing to note is the usage of NOS mode. The difference between NOS and non-NOS mode on the Pegasus is quite subtle to my ears, but present. With the stock fuse I often liked to switch off NOS mode (light off) as it added ever so slightly quicker transients and upper mid/treble clarity. With the Purple fuse there is significantly more clarity, so I started to prefer NOS mode (light on) as it adds a little bit of warmth/colour to vocals and a bit more spaciousness; a nicer overall tone.

For some readers I have to mention that fuses and cables are for fine tuning your ideal system. Changing DACs and amps will make a lot bigger difference than changing fuses or cables. Yet, with these fine tuning options the performance of your system can be improved.

I would also like to mention that the Pegasus is already fantastic with stock fuse(s). The Purple fuse (I haven't tried any other) is for those who like their Pegasus but want to squeeze out a little more clarity, tightness, and control from it. With the extra clarity comes the sensation of bigger space too, especially depth.

It might not be worth it for everyone, but I am sure keeping this fuse as to my ears it has improved the technical performance of the Pegasus which I already liked in its stock form.
Yeah, it's why I'd go orange. But glad you like the purple.

Nov 18, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #1,087 of 1,499
The Pegasus is a truly exceptional DAC.
I have Purple, which was the star of the upgrade, that title was taken over by the Furutech Nano enhancer, due to its impact on the overall sound
Nano is an incredible effect, and there are those who claim that there are better and cheaper ones, for example - GCE from Mad Sci
It's not expensive, you should try it

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #1,088 of 1,499
The Pegasus is a truly exceptional DAC.
I have Purple, which was the star of the upgrade, that title was taken over by the Furutech Nano enhancer, due to its impact on the overall sound
Nano is an incredible effect, and there are those who claim that there are better and cheaper ones, for example - GCE from Mad Sci
It's not expensive, you should try it
I have the Furutech nano silver gold enhancer, purchased from cableco. It's hit or miss. It changes the sound but I'm not sure if it's better or worse. The purple fuse just sounded so diffused to me. Yes, the background instruments were more forward but the mid range vocals took a noticeable step back almost in line with the background instruments. Maybe if you coated the purple fuse with the furutech enhancer it might bring back some of the low to mid midrange presence, but I found the orange fuse to be better suited for that. I mean, I just bought another orange fuse from a retailer for half off the retail price, might be a good option for those who want to see a difference. I paid 80 dollars three days ago for a orange fuse. A purple fuse blew in my js-2 linear power supply, replacing it with an orange fuse.

Nov 18, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #1,089 of 1,499
The purple fuse just sounded so diffused to me.
The purple fuse sounds anything but diffused to me. On the contrary, it is more focused and better controlled with enhanced clarity. Synergistic says it is a 'huge' improvement over the Orange fuse. I have a feeling they mostly mean enhanced clarity. I would love to try the Orange fuse for comparison but I am not going to buy one (it is £155 here) when I am happy with the Purple fuse. I think it is probably also system dependent what tweak someone finds more suitable to the sound.

Nov 18, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #1,090 of 1,499
I have the Furutech nano silver gold enhancer, purchased from cableco. It's hit or miss. It changes the sound but I'm not sure if it's better or worse. The purple fuse just sounded so diffused to me. Yes, the background instruments were more forward but the mid range vocals took a noticeable step back almost in line with the background instruments. Maybe if you coated the purple fuse with the furutech enhancer it might bring back some of the low to mid midrange presence, but I found the orange fuse to be better suited for that. I mean, I just bought another orange fuse from a retailer for half off the retail price, might be a good option for those who want to see a difference. I paid 80 dollars three days ago for a orange fuse. A purple fuse blew in my js-2 linear power supply, replacing it with an orange fuse.
Just out of curiosity, did you try reversing the fuses direction?

Nov 18, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #1,091 of 1,499
The purple fuse sounds anything but diffused to me. On the contrary, it is more focused and better controlled with enhanced clarity. Synergistic says it is a 'huge' improvement over the Orange fuse. I have a feeling they mostly mean enhanced clarity. I would love to try the Orange fuse for comparison but I am not going to buy one (it is £155 here) when I am happy with the Purple fuse. I think it is probably also system dependent what tweak someone finds more suitable to the sound.
that's the complete opposite. Unless you are talking about from stock fuses and not from orange to purple.

Nov 18, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #1,094 of 1,499
The orange fuses are going for 80.00 at high-end electronics’ website.
Just out of curiosity, did you try reversing the fuses direction?
Were you able to try the Orange fuses?

Nov 18, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #1,095 of 1,499
I have no doubts about your experience, but you are basically contradicting what the manufacturer says about their own fuses.
Clarity doesnt mean mid range presence… it could mean instruments that were in the back are brought forward… it could mean a lot of things… so explain to me how I am contradicting the manufacturer by saying the Orange fuses flatters the mid range more than the purple fuses…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back