Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
May 10, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #496 of 963
[/QUOTE]
Is it the Psvane WE 247B ?
And the signal tubes ?

EH 6H30Pi

I also have a sophia electric princess 274b coming on Tuesday.

I've had to take the FT3 teflons that I was bypassing the obbligatos with out, they had over 200hrs of burn in on them but continued to sound slightly closed and unnatural :frowning2:

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #498 of 963
FT3 teflons, read they need a long long break in period. Lots of patience.
Has your replacement USB board arrived?

I've had them in for two weeks with the unit on 24/7 so they should have opened up by now I would have thought.

My usb board and external femto clock arrive on Tuesday. I'll pop up a review. I can then also try the Innuous zen mini mk2 and PSU that I bought especially for this dac.

I bought this really heavy and well made socket saver to help raise it up.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173494881620

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #499 of 963
I've had them in for two weeks with the unit on 24/7 so they should have opened up by now I would have thought.

I bought this really heavy and well made socket saver to help raise it up.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173494881620

From my memory, Duelund JAM PIO took me after 250++ hours to open up slowly and sound good for my ears.
Now, it pasts 580+ hours. And every time my system is in used, I had mental difficulties trying to turn it off.
It is always after this song, then 1 more last song, ohh another .... and so on.

And there was concern about heat.
When MPD2 was covered (rectifier was GE 5Y3), lots of heat from the 4 x signaling tubes was trapped.
Not good for the PIO caps as these tubes are just beside them.
My MPD2 cover is raised and not secure to allow air flow.
Thus, I was able to stick the Sophia Aqua without any socket saver aid.
:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #500 of 963
I've bought x8, 9 pin socket savers to bring the signaling tubes up and out of the case. I agree that it gets too hot otherwise.

May 11, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #501 of 963
So my replacement USB board arrived today and it all works fine! I also received my external clock, but I have to say, Gary needs to starting creating some proper support documentation for his hardware...I have had to email him to confirm how to hook it up as I would literally be guessing.

From what i can see, I think the two dac board are connected together with one of the supplier mini coaxial leads, and the second lead goes from the rear external clock socket to the battery powered femto clock.

If that is correct however, why is a coaxial t-splitter supplied?!

May 11, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #502 of 963
From what i can see, I think the two dac board are connected together with one of the supplier mini coaxial leads, and the second lead goes from the rear external clock socket to the battery powered femto clock.

If that is correct however, why is a coaxial t-splitter supplied?!

Just a guess, the t-splitter is to connect other devices like CD/SCAD, network player that support external clock.

Curious .... Is the Crystek CCHD-957 femto clock fixed or interchangeable?

Indeed, Gary needs to further improve on his product usage documents.
Diagrams and photos will be much appreciated.
There is a saying. A simple photo is better than a thousand words.

A specific MP product forum for users to share know how or best practices.
As for now, we are gather here or other forums to share our experience.
Furthermore, MP forum with Gary personal guidance should greatly benefits all users.

May 11, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #503 of 963
You could be right but don't want to risk hooking it up wrong.

At least the usb is working and my Sophia is in... IMG_20200511_192712.jpg

May 12, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #504 of 963
So it seems you have to completely bypass the external clock socket on the USB card.

The splitter is connected to clock output port, then two cables are connected to the splitters. Take out the USB board first. Two cables go through the square hole of the usb board. Put the usb board back.

I'm glad I didn't guess as I would have hooked it up completely differently!

May 27, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #505 of 963
Currently testing a 2uf MGBO with teflon K72. Very nice combination of paper wax organic and teflon detail.

Attachments

• IMG_20200527_174450_resize_75.jpg
    IMG_20200527_174450_resize_75.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 0
May 30, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #506 of 963
Guys hoping you can help

I've emailed the below to Gary. Might I have blown the fuse on the board? Anyone else experienced this weird issue?

I installed new caps today and after doing this the dac will power up, with the top most green light flashing, and the tubes powering up, but the unit doesn't "click" and the green top light eventually goes off.

The red led inside the until remains on and the tubes all remain powered up.

Do you know what the problem is?

I've swapped caps, and all the tubes to original ones and still the same problem?

May 31, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #507 of 963
Guys hoping you can help

I've emailed the below to Gary. Might I have blown the fuse on the board? Anyone else experienced this weird issue?

Do you know what the problem is?

I've swapped caps, and all the tubes to original ones and still the same problem?

Need to contact Gary for debugging.

Have to be very careful when changing tubes or Cap.
Large cap stores longer voltage current, if not drain, it could damage your equipment.

Had an experience that I forgotten to ensure the current stored in the cap was fully drained.
I pulled out a tube, ok.
While putting back the tube, there was a flash. Thankfully nothing broke and the MPD2 survives.

For then, I will let the unit unplug from the power for a day.
The next day, I use a test pen to drain out remaining current.
Good to check with a volt meter.

Jun 1, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #509 of 963
My condolences. A couple of times I was impatiently rolling output tubes and fried a couple. What dac boards were you using? Ask Garry if the new AK4499 board is about ready for the MP D2. Might as well upgrade if you have to replace the chips.

Jun 1, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #510 of 963
It looks like the external clock board is the culprit and not the dac boards. Reverting to internal clocks works flawlessly. Waiting for Gary to confirm.

I've also decided to go with x4 Miflex copper foil 1.5. I'll be removing the board, pulling out the binding posts and soldering the leads to the underside. From my research is would appear they are better than the Jupiters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back