Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
Mar 28, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #466 of 964
Garry is now offering an external clock. I wonder how much of an upgrade this would be over the onboard Crystek upgrade clock?

1585425356791.png
http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=102

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #467 of 964
I wonder if it's possible to characterise the difference in sound (perhaps even ownership satisfaction?) of the MP-D2 vs one of the modern non-tube DAC designs. I appreciate different tubes provide a different experience but I'm currently tossing up between the MP-D2 and a Mytec Brooklyn Dac+. One offers the satisfaction of rolling tubes and caps, the other seems to be more of a set and forget, only-dac-you'll-ever-need kind of device. Both approaches have their appeal. I want a really satisfying system, but I don't need it to be perfect to the fifteenth decimal place. I'll enjoy rolling tubes and exploring that side of things, but I can live without it. Is the Mytec likely to provide a next level experience? Or are they different shades of the same thing?

Apr 8, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #468 of 964
I wonder if it's possible to characterise the difference in sound (perhaps even ownership satisfaction?) of the MP-D2 vs one of the modern non-tube DAC designs. I appreciate different tubes provide a different experience but I'm currently tossing up between the MP-D2 and a Mytec Brooklyn Dac+. One offers the satisfaction of rolling tubes and caps, the other seems to be more of a set and forget, only-dac-you'll-ever-need kind of device. Both approaches have their appeal. I want a really satisfying system, but I don't need it to be perfect to the fifteenth decimal place. I'll enjoy rolling tubes and exploring that side of things, but I can live without it. Is the Mytec likely to provide a next level experience? Or are they different shades of the same thing?

It allows you to change DAC module over the years, while you kept the old DAC implementation.

I have MP-D2 MK2.
Nowadays, when I am bored with ES9038, I just change to AK4490. And vice verse. Simple.

when is Gary releasing AK 4499 module ?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #469 of 964
Can anyone help with a tone problem I am having with MP-D2

My MP-D2 is started to sound thin, no midrange or bass. Which tubes would you replace?
I only use the RCA OUTPUT. NO volume control.
Should I use NOS tubes?
I had amperex NOS for the last 3 years.

Many thanks!
Mike

Apr 12, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #470 of 964
Can anyone help with a tone problem I am having with MP-D2

My MP-D2 is started to sound thin, no midrange or bass. Which tubes would you replace?
I only use the RCA OUTPUT. NO volume control.
Should I use NOS tubes?
I had amperex NOS for the last 3 years.

Many thanks!
Mike

Hi Mike,

My opinion.
The quality of old tube is questionable, some used tube reprinted and sold as NOS.

There might be a possibility of rectifier life is coming to end.
Have you switch to 6H6, Is there any difference?

I am using EH 6H30Pi Gold (modern one).
It is cost less than Amperex NOS. Easy to replace.
And, not thin sounding on my system.
Better tone than 6H6 in definition of bass and mid, tapered on the high compare to JJ E88CC.

Is new 6H30Pi comparable to your Amperex NOS?
If you decide to buy ... Please let us know your thoughts.
Every ear and system is different.

Happy Easter. Stay safe.

Apr 12, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #471 of 964
Hi Mike,

My opinion.
The quality of old tube is questionable, some used tube reprinted and sold as NOS.

There might be a possibility of rectifier life is coming to end.
Have you switch to 6H6, Is there any difference?

I am using EH 6H30Pi Gold (modern one).
It is cost less than Amperex NOS. Easy to replace.
And, not thin sounding on my system.
Better tone than 6H6 in definition of bass and mid, tapered on the high compare to JJ E88CC.

Is new 6H30Pi comparable to your Amperex NOS?
If you decide to buy ... Please let us know your thoughts.
Every ear and system is different.

Happy Easter. Stay safe.
Thank you so much!

I ordered the EH 6H30Pi Gold and a RCA rectifier. I miss the sound of my old 845 SE amps. I think they sounded more lush than my 300b amp.

I let you know how I make out.

Happy Easter and stay safe!

Apr 12, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #472 of 964
I’m looking for a set of preamp tubes that will get me a super warm, lush, syrupy, heavy bodied midrange. I currently have gold lion 6922, they are great but looking for something much more gooey. Current running a nos GE 5r4 rectifier. Any recommendations would be great!

Apr 13, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #473 of 964
I’m looking for a set of preamp tubes that will get me a super warm, lush, syrupy, heavy bodied midrange. I currently have gold lion 6922, they are great but looking for something much more gooey. Current running a nos GE 5r4 rectifier. Any recommendations would be great!
I suspect that exchanging the GE 5r4 for a Brimar 5R4GY would give you a more dominant midrange. I've never heard the GE 5R4 but I have the Brimar and it is definitely lush.

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #474 of 964
Hi all.

I just ordered a MK3 ess version to replace my LKS da004. I have a question about the minimum voltage required for the x4 coupling caps. Is 250v ok to use?

k73-16 2.2uf are rated at 250v hence the question.

Apr 23, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #479 of 964
I got the EH 6H30Pi Gold and the sound is still very detailed. I need to tame the top end and make the mid range more lush. I put in Sylvania 6x5gt today.
one hour later, one of my 300b power tubes failed. when it rains it poors!

Any other suggestions?

Apr 24, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #480 of 964
I've decided to try pairs of K73-16 1uF 400V with a 0.003 k40y-9 1000v bypass.

Going to compare this combo Vs the obbligato golds with a Russian teflon bypass.

And then if I can confirm they fit, a quad of milfex copper foil

Tube wise I've bought

Psvane 247b
5U4G Svetlana
5R4 RCA double getter
GZ37 Mullard

my dac arrives on Monday can't wait!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back