Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
Apr 24, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #481 of 964
I got the EH 6H30Pi Gold and the sound is still very detailed. I need to tame the top end and make the mid range more lush. I put in Sylvania 6x5gt today.
one hour later, one of my 300b power tubes failed. when it rains it poors!

Any other suggestions?

Hmmm ... was not expecting EH 6H30Pi to be harsh on your system.

Maybe it need several hours of burn in to settle down?
I cant comment on the initial experience of the tube, since I placed it as secondary while I burnt in the Duelund caps.

I like to test system with Sarah Brightman - Arabian Night and Rupaul - Supermodel (You Better Work). Heehee ...
Sarah Brightman, Harem is one of my favorite album.

I remembered my the Sophia Aqua rectifier, some where in the 20 hr.
Sarah Brightman album was filled with 'S', bright and irritating. Supermodel (You Better Work) ... so harsh and hurtful on my ear.
I made my comment here in my earlier post and, nearly gave up on the rectifier.

Currently, my MPD2 is on JJ E88CC, Sophia Aqua and AK4490.
I do switched to EH 6H30 (when we need a change. Bored?) ... My family still prefer the JJ for the dynamic and air.

Apr 24, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #483 of 964
I've decided to try pairs of K73-16 1uF 400V with a 0.003 k40y-9 1000v bypass.

Going to compare this combo Vs the obbligato golds with a Russian teflon bypass.

And then if I can confirm they fit, a quad of milfex copper foil

Tube wise I've bought

Psvane 247b
5U4G Svetlana
5R4 RCA double getter
GZ37 Mullard

my dac arrives on Monday can't wait!
Nice, I have a 274b in might at the moment. Sounds great. I got some socket savers to lift the tubes alittle higher so the big bottle rectifiers fit better. I def recommend it. They bring 6922’s up to case level also, looks a lot better. What preamp tubes did you get?

Apr 24, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #484 of 964
Hmmm ... was not expecting EH 6H30Pi to be harsh on your system.

Maybe it need several hours of burn in to settle down?
I cant comment on the initial experience of the tube, since I placed it as secondary while I burnt in the Duelund caps.

I like to test system with Sarah Brightman - Arabian Night and Rupaul - Supermodel (You Better Work). Heehee ...
Sarah Brightman, Harem is one of my favorite album.

I remembered my the Sophia Aqua rectifier, some where in the 20 hr.
Sarah Brightman album was filled with 'S', bright and irritating. Supermodel (You Better Work) ... so harsh and hurtful on my ear.
I made my comment here in my earlier post and, nearly gave up on the rectifier.

Currently, my MPD2 is on JJ E88CC, Sophia Aqua and AK4490.
I do switched to EH 6H30 (when we need a change. Bored?) ... My family still prefer the JJ for the dynamic and air.
Thank you very much for your prompt reply and suggestions!

I will keep playing music thru my DP-2 to burn in the components.......

Apr 25, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #485 of 964

Hope this helps .... users commented about the EH 6H30 PI burn in ....

jakegt3, 05-05-2014, 02:01 PM
One more update on the new 6H30's in my Reference CD7 ...

The sound of the new tubes seems to have stabilized at the 75-100 hour mark. Upscale Audio said to expect the tubes to sound "zippy" for the first 100 hours and they were right. Now I'm hearing a big improvement in smoothness and midrange richness.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/archive/index.php/t-26366.html

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #486 of 964

Found another MPD2 thread ... comment from the site admin about 6H30Pi burn in period.

Feb 18, 2017
Things are still settling in, especially the treble which was a little harsh and in your face right out of the box; much less so now. I'm starting off with the obligato stock capacitors and the EH 6h30pi tubes. I figure I've got about 5-6 hours so far and even in that short amount of time I can tell that this DAC is something special.
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/review-musical-paradise-mp-d2.2365/post-44347

Mar 18, 2017
Quite nicely, actually. It's mellowing a bit, but that's not a bad thing at all. It certainly has warmed up a little and lost what little digital edge it seemed to have to it on the highs. Just gorgeous.
Mind you, I'm still using the stock Obligato capacitors but with the EH 6h30pi's. I've never been blown away by these capacitors in the past, so I'm certain there is still some room for improvement there.
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/review-musical-paradise-mp-d2.2365/post-45817

Apr 20, 2017
Spent some more time last night listening to this DAC and it's starting to really come into its own now that it's got about 50+ hours of burn in time.
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/review-musical-paradise-mp-d2.2365/post-46931

Apr 25, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #487 of 964
I just picked up one of these and I am having trouble getting it going on my iMac. Software is updated. I get the message "The selected device does not have output controls". This happens whether I am using USB or optical cable. There is a minor difference between these two. When Digital Out via optical cable, I am not able to slide the Output volume bar in the Systems Preference. But when XMOS USB Audio 2.0, I am able to slide the Output volume bar along the bar but still no sound.

Has anyone experienced this before or know what I should try doing?

I have shut down the iMac at one point as well as shut down the MP-D2 and I still get the same message and no sound.

[Edit]
The short version... it all just started working. lol

Well... here is what I did. I tried plugging the USB into my MacBook Pro and it started working. Then I plugged it back into my iMac where I intend to keep using it... and it magically started working on it too.

Just giving it some listening time now and I am happy to say that it adds another sound to my system that I can turn to when I'm in that certain mood for that sound.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #489 of 964
Found another MPD2 thread ... comment from the site admin about 6H30Pi burn in period.

Feb 18, 2017
Things are still settling in, especially the treble which was a little harsh and in your face right out of the box; much less so now. I'm starting off with the obligato stock capacitors and the EH 6h30pi tubes. I figure I've got about 5-6 hours so far and even in that short amount of time I can tell that this DAC is something special.
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/review-musical-paradise-mp-d2.2365/post-44347

Mar 18, 2017
Quite nicely, actually. It's mellowing a bit, but that's not a bad thing at all. It certainly has warmed up a little and lost what little digital edge it seemed to have to it on the highs. Just gorgeous.
Mind you, I'm still using the stock Obligato capacitors but with the EH 6h30pi's. I've never been blown away by these capacitors in the past, so I'm certain there is still some room for improvement there.
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/review-musical-paradise-mp-d2.2365/post-45817

Apr 20, 2017
Spent some more time last night listening to this DAC and it's starting to really come into its own now that it's got about 50+ hours of burn in time.
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/review-musical-paradise-mp-d2.2365/post-46931
Thank you so very much for finding this information for me!
Very kind of you.

Best,
Mike

Apr 27, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #490 of 964
Has anyone tried the external femto clock with their dac? I'm considering buying one

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #491 of 964
Has anyone tried the external femto clock with their dac? I'm considering buying one

Has your MPD2 arrived?
It is desire to take a week or so to ensure your DAC is working well too.

My opinion, you have several new stuffs to play ....
- rectifiers from Psvane 247b to GZ37 Mullard
- signal tubes ???
- Caps ???
- ES or AK DAC module ???

Oh ... so much options to define the sound quality in your system to your liking.
Perhaps the clock signal unit could wait.

Listen and burn in the unit first. It will take a month or two of your efforts, esp with big PIO caps.
It will be a journey between your DAC and you.

Of course, it will be great if you could share your journey with us.
Have fun and enjoy ... the music.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #492 of 964
Hi

No it is slowly making it's way to the UK.

I have bought a quad of matched EH Gold 6H30PI, and I have:

Svetland 5U4G

RCA 5R4

Mullard GZ37

Psvane 247B

For caps I am trying various russian combos before moving up to more expensive ones

Apr 29, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #493 of 964
My dac arrived and the usb isn't working!?

I have an innuos zen mini mk2, I set the dac's usb to internal, and selected usb input, but the innuous can't see the dac!? Really annoying!

Same with my laptop, when I plug the dac into it I get no usb detection. Is the usb dead?

I also tried two different usb cables

Any ideas anyone??

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #494 of 964
My dac arrived and the usb isn't working!?

I have an innuos zen mini mk2, I set the dac's usb to internal, and selected usb input, but the innuous can't see the dac!? Really annoying!

Same with my laptop, when I plug the dac into it I get no usb detection. Is the usb dead?

I also tried two different usb cables

Any ideas anyone??
Is the laptop Windows? possibly requires a driver for the XMOS, link on MP website, bottom of features list....

Apr 30, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #495 of 964
The board is dead unfortunately. Gary is shipping me another. It also bought the external clock as it was so cheap I thought hey why not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back