Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
Jun 3, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #514 of 963
Yes, definitely. Turns out the cable t-splitter had failed, phew.

I have the clock plugged into a timmer so it charges when I'm not using my system and then in the evening it is running on the battery.

Jun 3, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #516 of 963
From Gary

Hi James,
We are working on AK4499 modules. I don't think it can be better than 9038PRO, could be neck by neck and sounds differently.

Thanks,
Garry

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #518 of 963
So i have finally bitten the bullet and ordered some grown up caps, after messing about with various russian stuff.

I have ordered x4 matched 400vdc Vcap ODAM.

The are new so not a huge amount of reviews, but from what i have read they are even better than Miflex or Jupiter, in a friendly size (17mm x 40mm). I'll be bypassing with Dueland once the silver bypass caps come back into stock on hificollective.

Jun 6, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #519 of 963
So I received the vcaps this morning and obviously i had to immediately try them.

With the whole system cold, and the caps in for literally 5 min I can safely report that the Odams are utterly stunning.

They are slightly smaller than the stock obbligato with is a bonus.

I highly recommend trying them. I've been reading that a 0.01 v-cap copper teflon bypass takes these to another level. That also makes the price around £600 sterling which is the same as the frankly overpriced Jupiter copper foil.

I've done modding the dac now, case screws back in place, time to sit back and enjoy this sublime dac. Short of a top end Lampizator I seriously doubt there is anything out there to beat this machine. Especially with the external clock.

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #521 of 963
That is completely the opposite, it is only compatible with MK3 and the Crystek upgrade, which is what I have.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #522 of 963
A little help needed...(decisions...decisions)

If I am to order with ESS9038Pro modules, to have DSD512 support, I need to order also MP-CLK.

DAC's product page says "DSD512 (ES9038Pro with external 60-100Mhz 3.3V clock)". So I assume MP-CLK w/ CCHD-950 100Mhz.
But then again MP-CLK's product page says "MP-D2 MK3 Deluxe version with ES9038Pro uses 49.152Mhz frequency"....So what gives?? :nerd:

So if I have the Crystek upgrade, MP-CLK is kind of redundant right? Or assuming at above post that it complements, thus upping SQ a bit more...

Thank you. Much appreciated! :vulcan:

Jun 7, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #523 of 963
MP-D2 MK3 Deluxe version with ES9038Pro uses 49.152Mhz frequency.

That is the clock setting I selected when ordering the external clock, and I'm using ES and the Crystek upgraded usb board.

Check with Gary if you want to be 100% certain before ordering.

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #525 of 963
2.2, 400v. I listened to my system for two hours last night and I'm really delighted with these caps. The don't sound "warm", "clinical" or "organic". They just make voices and instruments sound as they should. Zero colouration.

I'm using Mundorf upgraded Magnepan 1.7s and a Plinius power amp and the micro details coming through, and holographic soundstage are really excellent.

I need to start saving up for a Supratek Cabernet preamp to accompany this world class dac now. I have a YS Audio balanced A2 which is ok but definitely holding back the system overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back