Music City Meet -- Spring 2015 -- Pics & Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #331 of 357
While I was at it, I checked out the Pinnacle too.  You guys have expensive tastes!  And I was thinking the Rag is an expensive HP amp...

Aug 2, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #332 of 357

Thanks, Jay.
Just googled it and the list price is $5000.  Must sound really good.

one would hope !  
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #333 of 357
Jay, I've been thinking about a new amp for my LCD-X/XC.  I know you had the Bryston bha-1 for some time and really liked it - would you still recommend it?  I like my Gungnir DAC so that would be the source (for now).  I see the bha-1 for sale at several places at $1400.  Is it also able to drive the 300-ohm HD800 cans?

Thanks for your help -

Dick

Aug 2, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #334 of 357
  Jay, I've been thinking about a new amp for my LCD-X/XC.  I know you had the Bryston bha-1 for some time and really liked it - would you still recommend it?  I like my Gungnir DAC so that would be the source (for now).  I see the bha-1 for sale at several places at $1400.  Is it also able to drive the 300-ohm HD800 cans?

Thanks for your help -

Dick

dick, i absolutely recommend it !
you can them used for under $1000, and there's that 20 yr warranty, i had to use it once, super company to deal with
the new retail is/or at least $1395 or so, 
you might want to check this out
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=2BYBHA1F

it's a super amp

Aug 2, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #335 of 357
There are a couple on Audiogon  for $900.  Sorry could not get the link pasted.  Just search Bryston.

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #338 of 357

The WA5 at the last meet blew my mind, have you ever heard a better amp for the HD800?

Allot of it is tube matching, quality of tubes, and personal preference. I have yet to hear a WA5 but I would be very surprised if the Stratus and for sure the Teton did not meet or beat the WA5. Those 2 amps are beyond words with the HD800 imo. You really need a balanced HD800 cable for the Stratus though. I have yet to try an Eddie Current yet but I have heard very nice things about their amps and HD800's.

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #339 of 357
At the last meet, I heard the HD800 driven by the YGGR/WA5 and YGGR/ROK.  Both rigs sounded better than my Gungnir/HDVA600.  The music was very smooth and had a fuller sound - more bass and midrange presence.  That's why I'm more interested in amps than HP's at this stage - I think my HD800 and LCD-X/XC have untapped potential.

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #340 of 357
Allot of it is tube matching, quality of tubes, and personal preference. I have yet to hear a WA5 but I would be very surprised if the Stratus and for sure the Teton did not meet or beat the WA5. Those 2 amps are beyond words with the HD800 imo. You really need a balanced HD800 cable for the Stratus though. I have yet to try an Eddie Current yet but I have heard very nice things about their amps and HD800's.

Have you had the opportunity to listen to your HD800s with any of the Mapletree Amps?

They are one of the amps of choice for Grados and I am wondering how they might play with the Sennenheiser?

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #341 of 357
  At the last meet, I heard the HD800 driven by the YGGR/WA5 and YGGR/ROK.  Both rigs sounded better than my Gungnir/HDVA600.  The music was very smooth and had a fuller sound - more bass and midrange presence.  That's why I'm more interested in amps than HP's at this stage - I think my HD800 and LCD-X/XC have untapped potential.

That's the tough part for me, the HD800 popped with the YGGR/WA22 and was exceptionally detailed with the YGGR/WA5 (High end Sophia Princess tubes) easily the best I have heard, but the LCD3 sounded better to me with the Yulong solid state setup.

Trying to get a setup for both HP's is problematic.  

I have batted this around with Burnley and the Headamp GS-X is one of the few amps that might cover both, any other ideas

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #342 of 357
Honestly, the BHA-1 was one of the real eye-openers for me when Jay brought it to a previous meet. I listened to it with the Alpha Dogs, I think (I have it in my listening notes, just too lazy to go look it up), and thought it was one of the more impressive amps I've heard. I could easily be happy with it-- but I don't have an HD800, and we all know how princess-and-the-pea picky the HD800 can be with amplification. Might be worth holding off until the meet to be able to hear Jibzilla's Teton, and whatever mindblowing awesomeness Dan can bring, assuming we can persuade him to come down again :wink:

Aug 18, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #344 of 357
  Unfortunately this overalaps with a show in Europe.  I don't think I can make it...

Damn really wanted to hear the EtherC. Have a safe trip.

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #345 of 357
  Unfortunately this overalaps with a show in Europe.  I don't think I can make it...

Man, I really hate to hear that, Dan. I don't know how I missed the CanJam in Germany-- I might just shoot you over some potential dates before the next one and see if there's one that works for you! In your absence, I don't suppose there's any way we could wrestle a set of Ethers and Ether C's from you to demo, is there?

*doe-eyed look of longing and hope*

bigsmile_face.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back