MSB Analog DAC? (Review p3)
Nov 27, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #166 of 740

Had the MSB Analog in the house for 2 days. I am using the USB inputs but I do not have a cable that extends far enough from my computer. This means, unfortunately, that I am hooking up the MSB to my monitor which has USB outputs. Any ideas on how to optimise the situation? Perhaps I should use the optical input with the MSB Network Renderer - not sure how to use that though.

Despite these limitations, my first and immediate impression of the MSB Analog is that it is a very noticeable step up from the AMR DP777 in terms of detail and resolution. Guitars sound most realistic. The presentation is more forward in the sense of the listener being positioned a few rows closer to stage than the AMR (though I read still more laid back than other DACs in the price range), the music becomes more engaging and musical and spatial images are better focused.  

The stand-out aspect of the MSB Analog is how smooth everything sounds. There is no digital glare or artifacts even on poorly recorded modern pop recordings. Vocals sound buttery and fluid. This is a DAC that can make anything and everything sound good - in fact really good. To give full disclosure, I still have problems with a couple of recordings that may have been too compressed to the point of clipping. My copy of Norah Jones' Come Away With Me has always clipped and with the MSB it still sounds compressed. On almost all other recordings, including music on Spotify, the resolution, ambiance and smoothness is remarkable. If this is what analog sounds like, I like it. Since I have an eclectic taste of music and my collection comprises quite a large number of poorly recorded music, I am absolutely loving the MSB Analog. Of course, high resolution files such as Mahler's 5th from Blue Coast Records (DSD64) sound even more sublime. 

Another stand out aspect is the transients. Individual instruments on jazz and acoustic tracks (e.g. acoustic guitars) sound uncannily lifelike and palpable because of the quick transients. The attack is better than the AMR, which sounds dull and lacks the ability to "kick" as hard in comparison. The HD800, for instance, often loses out to the HE-6 when it comes to the ability to kick. I feel that the HD800 has that missing impact now and that is welcomed. I think it is hard to better the MSB Analog when it comes to small ensemble / solo instrumentals.

There are some minor drawbacks though.
1) On complex passages I expected better speed, extraction and separation from such an expensive DAC (it is still better in that regard than the AMR in my opinion). It may not be the end-all in terms of resolution as the improvements on the AMR are incremental, not night and day. 
2) Tonally the MSB Analog has a bit of a bright edge in the sense that everything is now sharper, more forward and the attacks are more prominent - though there is no artificial or digital grain. If you want a smooth sound and laid back presentation the AMR might be better, costing resolution, detail and speed in the meantime. *edit: This does not mean that the AMR is as smooth as the Analog. No, not even close. The Analog is still a whole lot smoother.
3) The AMR seems to boast a larger and slightly more natural soundstage.

Nevertheless, the ability of the Analog to tease out the macro and micro details whilst being buttery smooth is very attractive. It deserves all the accolades it has received so far and remains a step up from the AMR. In fact perhaps a bigger step up from the AMR than my upgrade from the Emotiva DC-1 Stealth to the AMR. It is the first DAC purchase which immediately impressed me - the AMR was an improvement on the Emotiva but it was not as big of a difference than the AMR vs MSB. And I have not even heard the MSB with the power base or proper USB set-up yet. I am planning to get the MSB Signature Power Base perhaps with the MSB UMT transport as my next step.

Excellent musings!!

The DAC is really exceptional and not a DAC I could foresee many growing tired of.  It was an absolute pleasure when it was on my desk.  

I moved from a tube DAC like you did and was floored by the added detail and clarity (that's not a knock on tube DAC's in general, just the experience I had with one particular one).

Anyway, congratulations again.

Care to treat us with some photos of the DAC? 
wink_face.gif

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #167 of 740

Excellent musings!!

The DAC is really exceptional and not a DAC I could foresee many growing tired of.  It was an absolute pleasure when it was on my desk.  

I moved from a tube DAC like you did and was floored by the added detail and clarity (that's not a knock on tube DAC's in general, just the experience I had with one particular one).

Anyway, congratulations again.

Care to treat us with some photos of the DAC? 
wink_face.gif

Thank you, I am amazed by the improvements. It can only get better as we climb up the price ladder but I am very comfortable where I am with the Analog. 

Here are some photos of my DACs and amp:

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #168 of 740
Great photos, always nice to see peoples setups. Thanks for sharing.

For my tastes there's nothing like R2R DAC's, loving my DaVinci especially after a firmware upgrade to optimise the digital buffers. I thought it sounded fantastic before but that was a real surprise, goes to show how much performance can be unlocked by the designers.

Its a good time for DAC's.

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #170 of 740
Great photos, always nice to see peoples setups. Thanks for sharing.

For my tastes there's nothing like R2R DAC's, loving my DaVinci especially after a firmware upgrade to optimise the digital buffers. I thought it sounded fantastic before but that was a real surprise, goes to show how much performance can be unlocked by the designers.

Its a good time for DAC's.

Are you able to provide any comparison between the DaVinci and the Analogue?

As you can see, I have a Geek Pulse coming, and it should have at least some of the sonic flavour of the DaVinci despite the different components/costs as Larry Ho has some consistent design criteria ...

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #171 of 740
Are you able to provide any comparison between the DaVinci and the Analogue?

As you can see, I have a Geek Pulse coming, and it should have at least some of the sonic flavour of the DaVinci despite the different components/costs as Larry Ho has some consistent design criteria ...

Have not heard the Analog DAC sorry can't help there.

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #172 of 740
Guys, I am pretty curious of something. Has anybody heard the Master 7 near Analog dac, maybe Total Dac or Theta Gen V?

This is why I am asking. I haven't heard any of the above and I am quite curious of anybody else had similar results.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #173 of 740
Guys, I am pretty curious of something. Has anybody heard the Master 7 near Analog dac, maybe Total Dac or Theta Gen V?

This is why I am asking. I haven't heard any of the above and I am quite curious of anybody else had similar results.

I think purrin did say that he hasn't heard the Analog for a long time. I agree with him that detail is not its strongest suit. It is the smoothness and lack of grain that is most impressive.

Does any one feel that the soundstage on the Analog is rather narrow? It does feel like the Analog places you a few rows in the front rather than giving you a birdseye view of the soundstage.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #174 of 740
I think purrin did say that he hasn't heard the Analog for a long time. I agree with him that detail is not its strongest suit. It is the smoothness and lack of grain that is most impressive.

Does any one feel that the soundstage on the Analog is rather narrow? It does feel like the Analog places you a few rows in the front rather than giving you a birdseye view of the soundstage.

Thank you lojay. While indeed it is not ultra detailed, I still find it to be on the detailed side. It's not the analytical type. Every detail comes naturally and nothing is brought to front in an unnatural manner. 

I think the soundstage on Analog Dac is deep and not narrow at all. The only time I have heard someone to say this, was from a friend who just bought it and before the break in period. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #175 of 740
  Thank you lojay. While indeed it is not ultra detailed, I still find it to be on the detailed side. It's not the analytical type. Every detail comes naturally and nothing is brought to front in an unnatural manner. 

I think the soundstage on Analog Dac is deep and not narrow at all. The only time I have heard someone to say this, was from a friend who just bought it and before the break in period. 

I strongly agree with everything you've said here, Dan.  Especially regarding the sound stage.  The MSB has one of the largest, most precise stages I've ever experienced.

Feb 13, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #176 of 740
Can someone explain what is the new "Network renderer" ?  Will allow to play music files WITHOUT the need for any PC or Music server ?  only a NAS is needed ???

May 6, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #178 of 740
I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on one of these, with USB input for PCM and DSD, and volume control. Is there a consensus on whether the upgraded power supply makes a worthwhile difference to the SQ, if so, in what way? Wider/deeper soundstage for example?

May 12, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #179 of 740
I compared Analog DAC with Linn Klimax DSM. Analog is a very interesting device. It has a similar massive and heavy case just like Linn Klimax and it looks very solid. As regards the soundqualty it is one of the best DACs I have heard so far.
There is my full review: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=27810

I am sure that with new Network Renderer input Analog DAC will sound better than with USB/Aurender combination.

A NAS and an interface like an iPhone.  But yes.

http://www.msbtech.com/products/serverComp.php?Page=analogDac

Network Renderer turns Analog DAC into stream player, like Linn DS, Naim NDX/NDS or Aurender...

You will need Wi-Fi router, music storage (for example, NAS) and an interface to control all these things (iPad, iPhone or any other mobile device).

But the most important thing is that Renderer will probably provide the best soundquality you can get from Analog DAC. Better than any USB or other input.
I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on one of these, with USB input for PCM and DSD, and volume control. Is there a consensus on whether the upgraded power supply makes a worthwhile difference to the SQ, if so, in what way? Wider/deeper soundstage for example?

Why don't you want to consider Renderer input? It is a great thing. The only question is how stable it is. I am sure that MSB did their best - in terms of soundquality Renderer should be very close to the external MSB transport conneted to their DAC via I2S interface. I have not seen any reviews/opinions about Renderer yet. It is a pity.

May 12, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #180 of 740
I ordered the new quad usb input and I received it last week. I also had a network renderer for tests, but it was a faulty unit :frowning2: . With quad usb, the difference was incredible. It was like I had another dac. Everything got scary real. There is more sound than on the normal usb input. Everything scales. It's like you get another whole dimension into the sound! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back