MSB Analog DAC? (Review p3)
Aug 29, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #152 of 740
hmm, that is odd. Can it be set to bit for bit i.e. None Oversampling. My preference is for no messing with the RedBook 44.1.

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #153 of 740
Pulled the trigger on the MSB Analog. Anyone out there to tell me what I should expect? :p

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #154 of 740
  Pulled the trigger on the MSB Analog. Anyone out there to tell me what I should expect? :p

Congrats! Transparent natural sound. Basically only good stuff :D . I also found a nice tweak that improved it's sound. I have to polish the review, add some photos and will post it soon. The usb input from msb, even if it's top class, it still uses the 5v from the usb. I bought a split usb cable that takes only the signal from the computer and the 5v from a cheap linear power supply. It improved the sound quite a bit :D

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #155 of 740

Congrats, supposed to be an excellent DAC, what options did you order with it?

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #156 of 740
  Congrats! Transparent natural sound. Basically only good stuff :D . I also found a nice tweak that improved it's sound. I have to polish the review, add some photos and will post it soon. The usb input from msb, even if it's top class, it still uses the 5v from the usb. I bought a split usb cable that takes only the signal from the computer and the 5v from a cheap linear power supply. It improved the sound quite a bit :D

Thanks, your review was very helpful.

Congrats, supposed to be an excellent DAC, what options did you order with it?

I bought it used. It has the volume control, the USB, AES and network input and standard power. I hope to get the DAC IV power base to improve the sound whilst maintaining the option to upgrade to Platinum/Diamond IV.. 

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #157 of 740

Any news on your new DAC ?

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #159 of 740
  I'm on holiday at the moment, will pick up up from the seller when I get home!

You're in for a treat.  I look forward to your impressions this time 
wink_face.gif

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #160 of 740

You're in for a treat.  I look forward to your impressions this time 
wink_face.gif

Had the MSB Analog in the house for 2 days. I am using the USB inputs but I do not have a cable that extends far enough from my computer. This means, unfortunately, that I am hooking up the MSB to my monitor which has USB outputs. Any ideas on how to optimise the situation? Perhaps I should use the optical input with the MSB Network Renderer - not sure how to use that though.

Despite these limitations, my first and immediate impression of the MSB Analog is that it is a very noticeable step up from the AMR DP777 in terms of detail and resolution. Guitars sound most realistic. The presentation is more forward in the sense of the listener being positioned a few rows closer to stage than the AMR (though I read still more laid back than other DACs in the price range), the music becomes more engaging and musical and spatial images are better focused.  

The stand-out aspect of the MSB Analog is how smooth everything sounds. There is no digital glare or artifacts even on poorly recorded modern pop recordings. Vocals sound buttery and fluid. This is a DAC that can make anything and everything sound good - in fact really good. To give full disclosure, I still have problems with a couple of recordings that may have been too compressed to the point of clipping. My copy of Norah Jones' Come Away With Me has always clipped and with the MSB it still sounds compressed. On almost all other recordings, including music on Spotify, the resolution, ambiance and smoothness is remarkable. If this is what analog sounds like, I like it. Since I have an eclectic taste of music and my collection comprises quite a large number of poorly recorded music, I am absolutely loving the MSB Analog. Of course, high resolution files such as Mahler's 5th from Blue Coast Records (DSD64) sound even more sublime. 

Another stand out aspect is the transients. Individual instruments on jazz and acoustic tracks (e.g. acoustic guitars) sound uncannily lifelike and palpable because of the quick transients. The attack is better than the AMR, which sounds dull and lacks the ability to "kick" as hard in comparison. The HD800, for instance, often loses out to the HE-6 when it comes to the ability to kick. I feel that the HD800 has that missing impact now and that is welcomed. I think it is hard to better the MSB Analog when it comes to small ensemble / solo instrumentals.

There are some minor drawbacks though.
1) On complex passages I expected better speed, extraction and separation from such an expensive DAC (it is still better in that regard than the AMR in my opinion). It may not be the end-all in terms of resolution as the improvements on the AMR are incremental, not night and day. 
2) Tonally the MSB Analog has a bit of a bright edge in the sense that everything is now sharper, more forward and the attacks are more prominent - though there is no artificial or digital grain. If you want a smooth sound and laid back presentation the AMR might be better, costing resolution, detail and speed in the meantime. *edit: This does not mean that the AMR is as smooth as the Analog. No, not even close. The Analog is still a whole lot smoother.
3) The AMR seems to boast a larger and slightly more natural soundstage.

Nevertheless, the ability of the Analog to tease out the macro and micro details whilst being buttery smooth is very attractive. It deserves all the accolades it has received so far and remains a step up from the AMR. In fact perhaps a bigger step up from the AMR than my upgrade from the Emotiva DC-1 Stealth to the AMR. It is the first DAC purchase which immediately impressed me - the AMR was an improvement on the Emotiva but it was not as big of a difference than the AMR vs MSB. And I have not even heard the MSB with the power base or proper USB set-up yet. I am planning to get the MSB Signature Power Base perhaps with the MSB UMT transport as my next step.

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #161 of 740

Had the MSB Analog in the house for 2 days. I am using the USB inputs but I do not have a cable that extends far enough from my computer. This means, unfortunately, that I am hooking up the MSB to my monitor which has USB outputs. Any ideas on how to optimise the situation? Perhaps I should use the optical input with the MSB Network Renderer - not sure how to use that though.

Despite these limitations, my first and immediate impression of the MSB Analog is that it is a very noticeable step up from the AMR DP777 in terms of detail and resolution. Guitars sound most realistic. The presentation is more forward in the sense of the listener being positioned a few rows closer to stage than the AMR (though I read still more laid back than other DACs in the price range), the music becomes more engaging and musical and spatial images are better focused.  

The stand-out aspect of the MSB Analog is how smooth everything sounds. There is no digital glare or artifacts even on poorly recorded modern pop recordings. Vocals sound buttery and fluid. This is a DAC that can make anything and everything sound good - in fact really good. To give full disclosure, I still have problems with a couple of recordings that may have been too compressed to the point of clipping. My copy of Norah Jones' Come Away With Me has always clipped and with the MSB it still sounds compressed. On almost all other recordings, including music on Spotify, the resolution, ambiance and smoothness is remarkable. If this is what analog sounds like, I like it. Since I have an eclectic taste of music and my collection comprises quite a large number of poorly recorded music, I am absolutely loving the MSB Analog. Of course, high resolution files such as Mahler's 5th from Blue Coast Records (DSD64) sound even more sublime. 

Another stand out aspect is the transients. Individual instruments on jazz and acoustic tracks (e.g. acoustic guitars) sound uncannily lifelike and palpable because of the quick transients. The attack is better than the AMR, which sounds dull and lacks the ability to "kick" as hard in comparison. The HD800, for instance, often loses out to the HE-6 when it comes to the ability to kick. I feel that the HD800 has that missing impact now and that is welcomed. I think it is hard to better the MSB Analog when it comes to small ensemble / solo instrumentals.

There are some minor drawbacks though.
1) On complex passages I expected better speed, extraction and separation from such an expensive DAC (it is still better in that regard than the AMR in my opinion). It may not be the end-all in terms of resolution as the improvements on the AMR are incremental, not night and day. 
2) Tonally the MSB Analog has a bit of a bright edge in the sense that everything is now sharper, more forward and the attacks are more prominent - though there is no artificial or digital grain. If you want a smooth sound and laid back presentation the AMR might be better, costing resolution, detail and speed in the meantime. *edit: This does not mean that the AMR is as smooth as the Analog. No, not even close. The Analog is still a whole lot smoother.
3) The AMR seems to boast a larger and slightly more natural soundstage.

Nevertheless, the ability of the Analog to tease out the macro and micro details whilst being buttery smooth is very attractive. It deserves all the accolades it has received so far and remains a step up from the AMR. In fact perhaps a bigger step up from the AMR than my upgrade from the Emotiva DC-1 Stealth to the AMR. It is the first DAC purchase which immediately impressed me - the AMR was an improvement on the Emotiva but it was not as big of a difference than the AMR vs MSB. And I have not even heard the MSB with the power base or proper USB set-up yet. I am planning to get the MSB Signature Power Base perhaps with the MSB UMT transport as my next step.

Congrats on the purchase. If it doesn't have any burn in, you will see improvements in time in transparency, soundstage, details, bass extension. From what I know it needs at least 100h break in period.

You should also try to use the normal usb input from your computer. I've also found another way to improve the sound considerably, by getting a split usb cable that takes only the signal from the computer and the 5v from a cheap linear power supply. Will come back with full review this week. 

The network streamer should also be a great improvement. I've seen they have released a very interesting network input. Hope that I will test it soon.

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #162 of 740
so now my choice of DAC for my 445 narrow to  MSB Analog  or  TotalDAC D1-Dual:   Same price, booth R2R, ....  
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back