MSB Analog DAC? (Review p3)
May 12, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #181 of 740
  I ordered the new quad usb input and I received it last week. I also had a network renderer for tests, but it was a faulty unit :frowning2: . With quad usb, the difference was incredible. It was like I had another dac. Everything got scary real. There is more sound than on the normal usb input. Everything scales. It's like you get another whole dimension into the sound! 

Congrats, Dan!  I remember Vince telling about the quad USB input and I was a bit skeptical.  Glad to hear it does make a difference!

May 14, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #182 of 740

Congrats, Dan!  I remember Vince telling about the quad USB input and I was a bit skeptical.  Glad to hear it does make a difference!

Thank you. I was a little skeptical myself, but I love it. 

Anybody heard the network input vs the quad usb input yet?

May 14, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #184 of 740
I would love to hear an MSB DAC someday, just to see what the ultra-rich have gotten themselves into. :p At this price point I'm gonna guess that the differences compared to other TOTL DACs are tonal, rather than performance based. Very interesting to see their Select cost as much as the house my family and I moved out of a few years back! Maybe they'll show up to an audio show and I'll get a chance to take a little listen.

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #185 of 740
Long overdue perhaps, the MSB Analog is on its way. Should be interesting going against the Yggdrasil and Theta Generation V A.

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #186 of 740
Sounds familiar. When I ordered mine I was quoted 2-3 weeks and 7 weeks later (just recently) I finally had it in my lap! Anyway, all good things etc....This dac is amazing. I have now about 250 hours on burn-in and the sound has really blossomed. Initially the bass was AWOL and the highs were quite shrill. Now everything has settled down and bass is hitting hard, soundstage is very wide and deep. I'm going through my audio collection and it's amazing revisiting old recordings, they sound so much better. You will see very significant changes from 0 to about 100 hours, further noticeable improvements up to 200. I am now on 250 and while changes are now more subtle I'm not convinced it's up to full speed quite yet.

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #187 of 740
Sounds familiar. When I ordered mine I was quoted 2-3 weeks and 7 weeks later (just recently) I finally had it in my lap! Anyway, all good things etc....This dac is amazing. I have now about 250 hours on burn-in and the sound has really blossomed. Initially the bass was AWOL and the highs were quite shrill. Now everything has settled down and bass is hitting hard, soundstage is very wide and deep. I'm going through my audio collection and it's amazing revisiting old recordings, they sound so much better. You will see very significant changes from 0 to about 100 hours, further noticeable improvements up to 200. I am now on 250 and while changes are now more subtle I'm not convinced it's up to full speed quite yet.

I heard it takes some time to settle in, indeed. Which DAC did you have before?

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #188 of 740
My previous dac was (or is) a Lampizator Big 7 which I'm now selling. The sale is more a practical/functional need to sell than audio aspiration, but I can say with confidence that IMO the MSB Analog DAC is at least the equal of Big 7.

Jul 21, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #189 of 740
My previous dac was (or is) a Lampizator Big 7 which I'm now selling. The sale is more a practical/functional need to sell than audio aspiration, but I can say with confidence that IMO the MSB Analog DAC is at least the equal of Big 7.

That's very interesting. I never got around to hear the Lampizators. Yet another interesting brand to the list, now that they sorted out the very scary inside layout.

What did you prefer about the MSB Analog vs the Lampizator?

Jul 21, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #190 of 740
I wouldn't be so bold as to say I prefer one over the other. They are both amazing DAC's and play in the same league. MSB is a lot less bulk, no tubes and more easily upgradeable. Both have the analog-like sound and real-life presentation. I don't think anybody at the price would be disappointed with either.

Jul 21, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #191 of 740
I wouldn't be so bold as to say I prefer one over the other. They are both amazing DAC's and play in the same league. MSB is a lot less bulk, no tubes and more easily upgradeable. Both have the analog-like sound and real-life presentation. I don't think anybody at the price would be disappointed with either.

Just for clarity I did not mean to imply whether you preferred the MSB overall, just out of interest if there were some aspects you preferred on the MSB compared to the Lampi.

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #192 of 740
The main difference I hear at the moment is the MSB has a bit more punch on the bass and drums. That might be a SS vs tube thing, or it might be related to the tubes I was using on the Lampi. Or equally, it could be my fried ears......

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #194 of 740
  This should be fun...

Looks like plenty of fun, have you got the upgraded USB2 interface?

http://www.audiostream.com/content/msb-technology-premium-usb-module-analog-dac

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #195 of 740

Looks like plenty of fun, have you got the upgraded USB2 interface?

http://www.audiostream.com/content/msb-technology-premium-usb-module-analog-dac

Yes, it has the new Quad USB, SPDIF/Optical and Wifi modules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back