MSB Analog DAC? (Review p3)
Jul 23, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #196 of 740
Have you experimented with native DSD material yet? I plan to load Windows 10 & Roon over the weekend and try it out on my DAC, can't find any material at DSD 512 and there is barely any at 256 so will be sticking to DSD 128 that way can compare native to DoP method.

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #197 of 740
  Have you experimented with native DSD material yet? I plan to load Windows 10 & Roon over the weekend and try it out on my DAC, can't find any material at DSD 512 and there is barely any at 256 so will be sticking to DSD 128 that way can compare native to DoP method.

Not yet. I don't have much DSD content... So while I will do it, it's lower on my priority list. My network streamer can only do up to 128 anyway.

Jul 24, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #199 of 740
  Any first impressions?

Yes. Sadly the WiFi module doesn't seem to be working to verify/change filters. Ideally I would want to make sure I am using the default filter most people are familiar with, before posting impressions. I contacted MSB support about it.

It needed some hours to warm-up and for the sound to settle. The recommendation was to leave it on 24/7. I will see if anything else happens with the sound over the week-end, then I think I am ready to post some impressions.

Jul 25, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #200 of 740

Yes. Sadly the WiFi module doesn't seem to be working to verify/change filters. Ideally I would want to make sure I am using the default filter most people are familiar with, before posting impressions. I contacted MSB support about it.

It needed a few hours to warm-up and for the sound to settle. The recommendation was to leave it on 24/7. I will see if anything else happens with the sound over the week-end, then I think I am ready to post some impressions.

looking forward to these impressions 

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #201 of 740

It needed some hours to warm-up and for the sound to settle. The recommendation was to leave it on 24/7. I will see if anything else happens with the sound over the week-end, then I think I am ready to post some impressions.

you mean the yggy or the msb?
I have a quad USB module on the way too, sadly local post totally screwed up for 2 weeks and still is, also I am on an urgent trip next 3 weeks, so this whole drama is its totally killing me inside out!!!!
I may be able to give some impressions on the upgraded quad USB module vs the normal one when both me and the quad is in place.
but yea, look forward to your review negura, and enjoy your smooth & shiny msb.

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #202 of 740
  you mean the yggy or the msb?
I have a quad USB module on the way too, sadly local post totally screwed up for 2 weeks and still is, also I am on an urgent trip next 3 weeks, so this whole drama is its totally killing me inside out!!!!
I may be able to give some impressions on the upgraded quad USB module vs the normal one when both me and the quad is in place.
but yea, look forward to your review negura, and enjoy your smooth & shiny msb.

MSB. But the correct answer is both. :)

I noticed the MSB sounds very funky when cold, just like the Yggy and many other DACs to be honest. It definitely needs to  be proper warmed-up. 
The Wifi module is going back to MSB, but the DAC of course works fine without it. I am ready with my impressions via USB, but I am also compiling some thoughts with a CD transport, and the findings are interesting to say the least.

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #204 of 740
Is the MSB Analogue true Non Oversampling as in it can play 44.1. RedBook native? I asked MSB last year via email to tech support, and they didn't give me a definitive answer. t do seem to prefer Non Oversampling R-2R DACs such as the Audio Note and (some of) the Lampizator units. I am curious if the MSB can play native. 

Another thing I have found in extended demos and listening tests, is NOS DACs without any filtering seem to sound cleaner - bizarre.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #205 of 740
I've posted my impressions here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/msb-analog/reviews/13668

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #206 of 740
Fantastic review, that must have taken some time. I don't have the luxury of A/B-ing 3 dac's but your impressions of the MSB pretty much mirror mine.

And that's an interesting observation re leaving the MSB powered or even churning out music real time 24/7. I tend not to but try to power it up for say 1-2 hours before a sesh. Any thoughts on how you noticed the sound to change?

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #207 of 740
A further thought. I noticed a drop off in bass after my 300 hours burn in period. I stopped the 24/7 playing real time routine and just powered up 1 or 2 hours before listening. Is this dac designed to be left powered on for 24/7, or even running real time ?

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #208 of 740
A further thought. I noticed a drop off in bass after my 300 hours burn in period. I stopped the 24/7 playing real time routine and just powered up 1 or 2 hours before listening. Is this dac designed to be left powered on for 24/7, or even running real time ?

Dealer recommended 24/7 and I can see why... I can't A/B it with itself without a second DAC so it's not that easy to pick on all the differences. However during my early listening sessions, when switching, the MSB had no cables connected to it but the power cable. After a while switching DACs, when I switched back to the MSB again, it was sounding less impressive comparatively: it no longer had the same clarity, pin-point imaging and presence. Kind of a head scratcher I thought, and then I noticed the MSB was dead cold - even though it was powered on all the time. 

I noticed it getting cold again, mainly when it has no active inputs I think... As long as it stays warm for some hours it delivers the goods big time.

Jul 31, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #210 of 740

Great review buddy :¬)

Have you heard the TotalDAC at all?

No - that one is next on the list. Not easy to come by for a demo/loan though and not particularly looking to bury 10k Euro in something I've not heard...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back