MS-2 (MS-2i) appreciation thread
Jun 6, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #451 of 512
Quote:
Sounds good, they are the sweet spot in the Alessandro line up in terms of price/performance. Maybe you should order some Sennheiser HD414 pads as well? I like using the MS2 with the HD414 pads quarter modded as it can sound very bright on the bowls. Plus the HD414 pads are much more comfy.

yeah, i'm going to see how the stock pads work and then evaluate potential mods.  hmmm, now might have to grab a dacmagic plus too.  punish the wallet, right?

& good news: ordered the ms2is last night and already got a USPS shipping tracking confirmation this morning...

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #452 of 512
Quote:
The MS2i are just unrelenting with sibilant songs and can be very fatiguing with said sibilant songs, especially with the bowl pads. My quarter modded HD414 pads fixes this issue quite considerably.

i listen to dub techno among other genres: basic channel, rod modell, echospace.  curious to hear how it sounds through the ms2is

hmmm, could always play the sibilant sounds through the speakers.....

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #453 of 512
Hi,

I hope someone still checks this thread. I found my pair of MS-2's and I was wondering if someone could tell me what color the stock pads were? Also, what are some alternative/aftermarket pads I can get for them (to try out different fits and sounds). And what's the best place I can go to buy these pads, plus some OEM ones.

Thanks.

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #454 of 512
Quote:
Hi,

I hope someone still checks this thread. I found my pair of MS-2's and I was wondering if someone could tell me what color the stock pads were? Also, what are some alternative/aftermarket pads I can get for them (to try out different fits and sounds). And what's the best place I can go to buy these pads, plus some OEM ones.

Thanks.

I was listening to my MS2s and liking them so much that I looked up this old thread.  I guess someone stills checks it.

The pads have always been black.  Why do you ask?

I've heard that these are the best pads: https://www.ttvjaudio.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=flats

I think the OEM ones are pretty much the same price everywhere. 

I just use a generic set of foam pads (don't remember where I got them) without any holes cut out.  I find that using them without a hole keeps the highs tamed down a bit...and they don't muffle the bass at all.  Oh, and they are so comfortable with these pads.

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #455 of 512
Just picked up my Ms-2i's after about a month of non usage, and within 30 seconds I remembered why I was in love with them. As of right now, I am happy with my setup. Wonder how long that will last?

Aug 10, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #456 of 512
Quote:

I was listening to my MS2s and liking them so much that I looked up this old thread.  I guess someone stills checks it.

The pads have always been black.  Why do you ask?

I've heard that these are the best pads: https://www.ttvjaudio.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=flats

I think the OEM ones are pretty much the same price everywhere. 

I just use a generic set of foam pads (don't remember where I got them) without any holes cut out.  I find that using them without a hole keeps the highs tamed down a bit...and they don't muffle the bass at all.  Oh, and they are so comfortable with these pads.

My MS2's have two pads in the box and I wasn't sure which one was the stock pad and which was aftermarket. Thank you!

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #460 of 512
Been away for awhile, mostly because I found what I wanted and was just enjoying it. Have since gone from AKG K701s to Grado RS-1s, also to q-Jays and ER-4s and SE420s, etc. Settled on ALAC-iPod-RSA Shadow-Westone UM3X with customs and have been absolutely loving nearly everything about that. I've always loved Grados but lived in an environment with too much background noise. Now I'm in a much quieter place and really find that I can enjoy open headphones again fully. So I immediately reached back for some new Alessandro MS-2is and am already loving them again (my 2nd pair). I was immediately reminded that I preferred flats to bowls, though! Overall very happy to be back on the Alessandro train.

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #461 of 512
Hi. Im new to this forum. and I just orderd my ms2i's last thursday (cant wait!). I have read this entire appreaciation to the ms2i and jut got finished (great opinions!). Has anybody tried the bellari ha540 with these headphones? If so, would like to hear some feedback about this combo. Thanks.

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #462 of 512
Well, I had a pair of Mad Dogs that I liked a lot but just didnt think I could get the most out of with my system. That and I didnt really enjoy having to bring my amp and DAC everywhere with me. Was going to trade for a pair of HD600s but got offered a woodied, recabled pair of MS2s. Since SR-60s were what got me into head-fi I figured Id take a chance on the MS-2s. Should be here on Friday, can't wait to see how these compare to an Ortho. Since 80% of my music is some form of progressive rock, dont think Im going to be disappointed...

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #463 of 512
Quote:
Well, I had a pair of Mad Dogs that I liked a lot but just didnt think I could get the most out of with my system. That and I didnt really enjoy having to bring my amp and DAC everywhere with me. Was going to trade for a pair of HD600s but got offered a woodied, recabled pair of MS2s. Since SR-60s were what got me into head-fi I figured Id take a chance on the MS-2s. Should be here on Friday, can't wait to see how these compare to an Ortho. Since 80% of my music is some form of progressive rock, dont think Im going to be disappointed...

Be prepared; there's quite a difference. The MS2i's are more forward in the mids, and the treble is definitely more prominent. You may miss the warmth of the bass from the Mad Dog. Just make sure you don't give up on the MS2i's immediately, as your ears may need time to adjust. I think for your music preferences, it's hard to do much better than the MS2i's. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #464 of 512
Ive at last used Grados before so I am generally familiar with their sound signature. I honestly think that forwardness and energy is what Ive been looking for; Ive mostly bought neutral cans but I want to headbang to some metal finally haha.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #465 of 512
Quote:
Ive at last used Grados before so I am generally familiar with their sound signature. I honestly think that forwardness and energy is what Ive been looking for; Ive mostly bought neutral cans but I want to headbang to some metal finally haha.

I must say, that since my post above, I have received have traded the MS2i for the 325is. By all means the MS2i is a beautiful sounding headphone, but it didn't have the attack of the 325is, which is what I was looking for, but if I wanted a mellower sounding headphone I never would have given the MS2i up, and would also highly recommend them, but IMO they are two totally different sounding headphones from my experience with the both of them. Neither one is better than the other at all, just different!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back