MS-2 (MS-2i) appreciation thread
Jun 28, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #31 of 512
Honestly, I compared the stock MS-2i to Mjg's recabled MS-2i, and I can say with confidence that I would choose a RS-1 over the stock MS-2i, but the recabled MS-2i freaking pulls even. I didn't feel that it lacked any detail, and the MS-2i recabled was even less "peaky" than the RS-1, resulting in a more even, neutral response without losing that Grado slam. The RS-1 still has a deeper bass and more agressive highs, but the recabled MS-2i had just as good treble extension, and its bass was tight and deep enough for my enjoyment. I was pretty darn impressed.

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #32 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by brb9911
Following mjg's lead, I also am planning on having Larry recable my old-school MS-2s sometime next month, rather than invest in new cans anytime soon. I'd been torn between this and moving up to MS-Pros, but have decided on the recable simply because i love these cans!

hah, great to hear it.

Let us all know about how it sounds man.

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #33 of 512
Is there any way to tighten them?... I dont mean bending the headband to increase ear pressure... I mean tightening of that plastic thing (with the R & L on it) so the metal slide-sticks are more secure? My MS2s tend to slide down after a half hour or so, and Im always having to re adjust... lifting them back up.

hope this makes sense????

looking for a ron popeil solution... "set it and forget it"
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

thanks,
Garrett

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #34 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Is there any way to tighten them?... I dont mean bending the headband to increase ear pressure... I mean tightening of that plastic thing (with the R & L on it) so the metal slide-sticks are more secure? My MS2s tend to slide down after a half hour or so, and Im always having to re adjust... lifting them back up.

In reference to this piece, I would like to get rid of it and swap it out with the metal HP1's left and right holders. Does anyone sell these pieces?

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #35 of 512
Hmm....interesting. Maybe you could just use a smaller drill-bit and drill straight in from the back of the black plastic block, then use a set screw slightly bigger than the hole and screw it in until it contacts the metal 'slide sticks' just like on some HP-2's. This would probably be cheaper than trying to buy some HP-2 pieces.

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #36 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
In reference to this piece, I would like to get rid of it and swap it out with the metal HP1's left and right holders. Does anyone sell these pieces?

Anything can be had, but an item like that is pricey.

I'd see what larry could get, but if you go to Joe himself your paying too much.

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #37 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150

looking for a ron popeil solution... "set it and forget it"
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Get them in the position you like and put some black tape around the rod so it can't slide down past it.

Jun 28, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #38 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
hah, great to hear it.

Let us all know about how it sounds man.

I will definitely be reporting back on the results of the recable ... stay tuned!

Jun 28, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #40 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by MTL
Though I would agree that the MS2i are great headphones and do offer a lot for $ 300 I don't really think they're up with the higher end Grados or Alessandros. I got my wife an MS2i so that she might join me listening to my MSpro (through a Lehmann black cube linear and Primare / TagMcLaren source).
But while the MS2i for itself are very capable, the MSpro clearly play in a different league (and it would be a shame if it wouldn't, considering the pricetag...).

Or it could be that my ears just prefer metal Grados to wood Grados, as they didn't groove to my RS-1s before. I'd be looking forward to hearing MS-Pro's, though, as they just might shatter my preconceptions.

But forget about that...I think the real issue here is you bought yourself an MS-Pro.. and the wife just MS-2i? :wink:

Jun 29, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #41 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
Get them in the position you like and put some black tape around the rod so it can't slide down past it.

you know what... I probably could use some heatshrink there...!!!

thanks gents!!

Garrett

Sep 19, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #42 of 512
Thought I'd resurrect this old thread. Received my original MS2's (not 2i) today, I preferred the look of the older version so I leapt on a pair that came up on the forums. Their bright tendencies balance well with the warmish DAC-AH. It was a leap of faith selling my MS1 and HD580 to get these, don't think I'll regret it though. They reproduce electric guitar better than any can I've yet heard so they suit my musical tastes well. These will hold off my upgraditis for a while, although a tube amp would be nice....
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #43 of 512
Congratulations on your Frankenstein pegs! I've had my silver mushrooms since Friday!!

My MS-1s were the Gateway drugs that led to me to MS2i and I couldn't be happier!

My current thoughts(subject to change without notice)are a cooler amp such as Glite with the MS2i for rock. And MS-Pro with yet un named tubes for everything else.

....like I said in another thread: I really REALLY like Alessandros'!!

Sep 19, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #45 of 512
What is interesting is to see how peoples opinions change. They all loved the can, but most don't even own it anymore. Also I noticed on post about how they are 'done'. Interestingly enough they no longer own the MS2i, but moved up to the RS-1 (or was it PS-1)?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back