**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Nov 12, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #1,981 of 3,203
  Vocals: Sound great. Female vocals are a little dark. The upper midrange is just a touch lower in amplitude than I think is probably ideal.

They are great headphones for rock and metal. I listen to a pretty wide variety of rock recordings and have a small collection of symphonic metal, japanese metal and some thrash. These headphones do them all justice.

thank you ! this helps me a lot !

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #1,982 of 3,203

I just thought I would drop in with a quick note. I have been listening and burning in both my new balanced Mad Dogs 3.2 and my NFB-28. I recently switched back and plugged in my original Single Ended (1/4") Mad Dogs v3.2 to my new NFB-28.

I have only compared it with one song that I am really in love with (so I know alot of the cues and different parts of the song to look forward to) and what I immediately notice is that the single-ended version sounds a little bit dark, sort of cramped, or closed in whereas the balanced version sounds wider, having more room for minor details to be heard. I am not sure if this is what you guys refer to as a wider soundstage, but that was my impression. I am definitely thinking about an all balanced setup from now on, and will most likely be upgrading my single ended version of the Mad Dogs to the balanced version of the Alpha Dogs or something else.

Oh, also the bass is more present on the balanced version. I believe it is subtle, but noticeable. I will do more listening now that I was able to steal my single ended Mad dogs back from my fiancee 
smile.gif

EDIT: Had my fiancee listened to both and she can definitely hear a difference. Her words for the single ended version were "sounds muffled" and "I didn't realize something could sound better than these"

i have been waiting for this post.. someone finally said it  !!  
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
 thats a great fiancee u have !!!  
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #1,983 of 3,203
  Hey everyone,
These were suggested to me in another thread. I've been seriously considering ordering a pair, but I have a question:
Currently, I have a FiiO E12 Mont Blanc, and I've been seeing mixed responses on whether or not the Mad Dogs pair well with it. Some have stated that Mr. Speakers himself said that they pair relatively well, while others have said the pairing is just nigh of terrible. I got my E12 rather recently, and don't really have the spending money to shell out for another, higher quality portable amp. I was simply wondering if anyone here knows if the E12 is a good pairing for my price range.
Any responses are greatly appreciated!
-Spy

Ha, this was the subject of some nit-picking not long ago.

MrSpeakers reported that someone else told him that the E12 worked well the Mad Dogs.   I did recently see another post where someone was less enthusiastic about it.

So, we can trust MrSpeakers' reporting, and thus we can assume one person liked the pairing.   Since you already own the E12, and since the Mad Dogs have a 14-day return policy, it would seem safe (i.e. you are not buying an amp).  You can judge for yourself.

I think we can assume that the E12 will not sound as good as a more expensive amp.

Note that I myself have never heard the E12.

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #1,985 of 3,203
Yes

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #1,986 of 3,203

MrSpeakers reported that someone else told him that the E12 worked well the Mad Dogs.   I did recently see another post where someone was less enthusiastic about it.

So, we can trust MrSpeakers' reporting, and thus we can assume one person liked the pairing.   Since you already own the E12, and since the Mad Dogs have a 14-day return policy, it would seem safe (i.e. you are not buying an amp).  You can judge for yourself.

I think we can assume that the E12 will not sound as good as a more expensive amp.

Huh, that's pretty neat with the return policy. I didn't know they did that.
Cool, thanks for the reply!

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #1,987 of 3,203

Huh, that's pretty neat with the return policy. I didn't know they did that.
Cool, thanks for the reply!

Check the MrSpeakers web site for exact details and conditions of the return policy, of course.

Nov 13, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #1,988 of 3,203
  Hey everyone,
These were suggested to me in another thread. I've been seriously considering ordering a pair, but I have a question:
Currently, I have a FiiO E12 Mont Blanc, and I've been seeing mixed responses on whether or not the Mad Dogs pair well with it. Some have stated that Mr. Speakers himself said that they pair relatively well, while others have said the pairing is just nigh of terrible. I got my E12 rather recently, and don't really have the spending money to shell out for another, higher quality portable amp. I was simply wondering if anyone here knows if the E12 is a good pairing for my price range.
Any responses are greatly appreciated!
-Spy

IMO the E12 provides the power that I believe helps the Mad Dogs to sound really good. Some other portable amps (especially in this price range) tend to not have enough power to really drive the Mad Dogs to (what I believe is) their best sound. Keep in mind, I like to listen to mine with more volume than most folks, and I prefer a good strong bass, sub-bass presence.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #1,989 of 3,203
  Check the MrSpeakers web site for exact details and conditions of the return policy, of course.

Yeah, I began to think of that last night, myself. I'll be sure to do that.

IMO the E12 provides the power that I believe helps the Mad Dogs to sound really good. Some other portable amps (especially in this price range) tend to not have enough power to really drive the Mad Dogs to (what I believe is) their best sound. Keep in mind, I like to listen to mine with more volume than most folks, and I prefer a good strong bass, sub-bass presence.

See, that sounds nice. While I primarily listen to EDM (Pretty Lights, Kaskade, etc.), my tastes are all over the place. Coming from my ATH-M50s, some more bass would surely be appreciated.
That's good news about the power as well, I tend to like my music loud as well.

Again, thanks for the replies, I appreciate it!

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #1,990 of 3,203
First post!

A friend of mine recently turned me on the the ath-m50.  My first pair of over-ear headphones since my 7 year old Sony MDR-V700DJ's finally crapped out on me 6 years ago (been using in-ear's of varying quality ever since).  I like the price, comfort (unfortunately my ears barely touch the drivers) ,and (for the most part) the sound of the m50's but I feel that things could sound better, although I am already hearing things in some songs I hadn't heard before which, to me, is exciting. Unfortunately I don't have anything to compare to. After much much much research here I decided to take the Mad Dog plunge and listen to them in comparison to the m50's and decide which to send back.  

With that said, will it be a fair comparison without an amp initially? A friend of mine has an e17 that I was going to try out with the MD before buying my own. I listen to a diverse amount of music mainly on my rMBP / iPhone 5 with a lot of HQ mp3's and the highest quality streaming from Spotify. An amp/dac combo recommendation would be ideal, especially if it was easy to transport to other locations like an office.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #1,991 of 3,203
  First post!

A friend of mine recently turned me on the the ath-m50.  My first pair of over-ear headphones since my 7 year old Sony MDR-V700DJ's finally crapped out on me 6 years ago (been using in-ear's of varying quality ever since).  I like the price, comfort (unfortunately my ears barely touch the drivers) ,and (for the most part) the sound of the m50's but I feel that things could sound better, although I am already hearing things in some songs I hadn't heard before which, to me, is exciting. Unfortunately I don't have anything to compare to. After much much much research here I decided to take the Mad Dog plunge and listen to them in comparison to the m50's and decide which to send back.  

With that said, will it be a fair comparison without an amp initially? A friend of mine has an e17 that I was going to try out with the MD before buying my own. I listen to a diverse amount of music mainly on my rMBP / iPhone 5 with a lot of HQ mp3's and the highest quality streaming from Spotify. An amp/dac combo recommendation would be ideal, especially if it was easy to transport to other locations like an office.

You could get a good idea of what the MDs sound like without an amp or DAC, but keep in mind that they'll sound miles better with one. If you're looking for a budget transportable setup, the two most common computer combos with the MD are the Schiit Modi/Magni and the ODAC/O2 (self-built or ordered from a variety of companies, the most prominent of which being JDS Labs).

Nov 14, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #1,992 of 3,203
Hey guys, I am thinking to get the universal mad dog. I wish to ask the cable shop to start making cables with trrs and hirose termination. Can you guys let me know the connector use for connecting the phones and cable? A photo will be highly appreciated, so that i can task the shop to start preparing the cable while waiting for the mad dog to deliver...

Many thanks!!!

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #1,994 of 3,203
  First post!

I dont believe you'll get a good comparison without at least amping the MD's. I would also say the sound signature between the M50's and the MD's is noticeably different. The M50's (IMO) are more bass focused and are easier to drive. The MD's are (again IMO) better overall but have less bass presence especially without being amped. 

I havent tried the Schiit magni/modi combo but it is highly recommended, especially for the price point. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back