**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 29, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #1,501 of 3,203
$300 max.

Have you got the balanced versions coming? If so try it via speaker taps by buying or making an adapter. Unfortunately my mad dogs are SE so I cannot run via the speaker terminals in my amp, but I'm running my HE500s from the Topping TP60 which I got for about $200 and for that price I don't think anything comes close for clarity, transparency and detail in the sound.

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #1,502 of 3,203
Another product similar to the Topping, and more often used on these Forums is the Emotiva Mini-x A-100.  See this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #1,503 of 3,203
Another product similar to the Topping, and more often used on these Forums is the Emotiva Mini-x A-100.  See this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project

I wanted to also go the Emotiva route but I'm from Australia and its not as easy to get. The other route is a Millenia Tbi which some have had good results also. I actually wanted to buy the millenia via ebay but was beaten by $1 on auction which eventually sold for $251aud. In frustration I bought the TP60 on impulse but it turned out to be a great purchase

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #1,504 of 3,203
Yes, I am interested in Emotiva Mini-x A-100 and the Mad Dog pairing too however need to make or buy adapter connector but saw some posts that Emotiva Mini-x A-100 could cause hiss on some headphones or when adjust the volume knob over 1-2 hour or something (but normaly at that volume level is over the limit of human ears). If the result is good maybe I should try one in the future. God ,I love head-fi but my wallet hate head-fi.

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #1,505 of 3,203
Yes, I am interested in Emotiva Mini-x A-100 and the Mad Dog pairing too however need to make or buy adapter connector but saw some posts that Emotiva Mini-x A-100 could cause hiss on some headphones or when adjust the volume knob over 1-2 hour or something (but normaly at that volume level is over the limit of human ears). If the result is good maybe I should try one in the future. God ,I love head-fi but my wallet hate head-fi.

Hope your mad dogs are balanced

Aug 30, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #1,506 of 3,203
Quote:
Ordered a pair of MD in behalf of a friend, Have messaged gus? Who is meant to be in charge of communications for mr speakers website still no contact after nearly a week! Have sent 3 messages, This is getting a bit of a joke now.

Quote:
Just a reminder that I will not be online or responding to messages or email from tomorrow afternoon until Tuesday Sept. 3.  I've closed the Alpha Dog tour signup, and will post the tour info and details the first week of September.

A gentle reminder that there are no Mad Dog to Alpha Dog details available, and won't be for four weeks.  Thanks for your patience, we want to do the upgrade right with no problems.

There is your answer for the website.

Mr Speakers is extremely busy with the Alpha dogs at the moment. Sad but true, there will be a while before he responds.

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #1,507 of 3,203
Quote:
Have you got the balanced versions coming? If so try it via speaker taps by buying or making an adapter. Unfortunately my mad dogs are SE so I cannot run via the speaker terminals in my amp, but I'm running my HE500s from the Topping TP60 which I got for about $200 and for that price I don't think anything comes close for clarity, transparency and detail in the sound.

Single-ended for me, too. I'll find something good eventually...I did read a post where somebody said the Magni/Modi combo didn't really have enough power, so I may ixnay that idea. I might just go with the E09K to save a few bucks - I don't think it'd be far off from the Schiit budget stack. 

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #1,508 of 3,203
Quote:
Single-ended for me, too. I'll find something good eventually...I did read a post where somebody said the Magni/Modi combo didn't really have enough power, so I may ixnay that idea. I might just go with the E09K to save a few bucks - I don't think it'd be far off from the Schiit budget stack. 

The Schiit Magni does 1.2W into 32 ohms so I can't see why it wouldn't have enough power. I haven't heard the Magni myself so I can't really say but my Audio Gd 15.32 is stated to pump out 3500mw into 25ohms and 1800mw into 50ohms and has plenty of power for both my HE500s and SE Mad Dogs. I haven't heard any of the Fiioamps so I can't chime in there either. The Audio Gd is also currently $235USD so that also might be an option, plus its a fantastic USB DAC for the price.

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #1,509 of 3,203
Quote:
The Schiit Magni does 1.2W into 32 ohms so I can't see why it wouldn't have enough power. I haven't heard the Magni myself so I can't really say but my Audio Gd 15.32 is stated to pump out 3500mw into 25ohms and 1800mw into 50ohms and has plenty of power for both my HE500s and SE Mad Dogs. I haven't heard any of the Fiioamps so I can't chime in there either. The Audio Gd is also currently $235USD so that also might be an option, plus its a fantastic USB DAC for the price.

I am currently running SE mad dogs through the Magni/Modi stack. Whilst it is clear and very precise it was just a bit too bright. it does have plenty of power and is a great combo for the price. It just didn't suit my ears. I have heard the mad dogs through a couple of amps now( lyr and RSA Intruder) and it seems to me that the more power you can feed them the better they sound.

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #1,510 of 3,203
Quote:
I am currently running SE mad dogs through the Magni/Modi stack. Whilst it is clear and very precise it was just a bit too bright. it does have plenty of power and is a great combo for the price. It just didn't suit my ears. I have heard the mad dogs through a couple of amps now( lyr and RSA Intruder) and it seems to me that the more power you can feed them the better they sound.

You can't really compare the Magni with a Lyr considering the $300 max budget for doublea71

My mate also has a mad dogs and wanted an amp/dac combo for under $300 and I steered him to the schiit stack. Might give it a try with my HE500s also when he gets them. Any other suggestions that would sound good for below $300?

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #1,511 of 3,203
Quote:
You can't really compare the Magni with a Lyr considering the $300 max budget for doublea71

My mate also has a mad dogs and wanted an amp/dac combo for under $300 and I steered him to the schiit stack. Might give it a try with my HE500s also when he gets them. Any other suggestions that would sound good for below $300?

Im not comparing the  Magni with the Lyr or the intruder. Simply saying that i have found that the mad dogs sound better with more juice! The Ibasso PB2 sounded great too. Its a little over the budget but not too bad. I also have an old Rotel stereo reciever that works great with the mad dogs. A lot of the vintage stereo amps have been known to work really well with the mad dogs and can quite often be picked up at good price. Not overly portable but sound great.

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #1,512 of 3,203
Quote:
Im not comparing the  Magni with the Lyr or the intruder. Simply saying that i have found that the mad dogs sound better with more juice! The Ibasso PB2 sounded great too. Its a little over the budget but not too bad. I also have an old Rotel stereo reciever that works great with the mad dogs. A lot of the vintage stereo amps have been known to work really well with the mad dogs and can quite often be picked up at good price. Not overly portable but sound great.

Yeah my PB2s sounds great with the Mad Dogs especially now I've got Ron's Topkit in place, its now my portable setup . I've tried the mad dogs on my old vintage stereo amp, a Pioneer SX2900 I got from a garage sale for $20 and they do sound good. Not as refined and delicate as a dedicated headphone amp in my opinion, but boy do they give the mad dogs good bottom end bass. But my space on and around my desk is limited so couldn't really use it.

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #1,513 of 3,203
I think those two might get in trouble... it seems a few people here haven't gotten any replies from them... weird.

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #1,515 of 3,203
Just found out that I now can buy the Mad Dogs in my home country the Netherlands.
For 350,- Euro, which is over $ 450,-.
Insane!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back