**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #617 of 3,203
Quote:
So.... The fidelio X1 were not really as good as I was expecting.... Now the question is, do I get the good ol' HD600 which I already know I like (except the lack of sub bass and slightly slow sound) or do I try the Mad Dogs.... Hmmmmm decisions. I do think the soundstage on the HD600 is just awesome and I do not want anything with a small soundstage.... Are the mad dogs bad in this area?

They sound bigger than the RE-262 iems, if that's what you were asking.
They have a very nice 3D sound, maybe not as expansive as most open cans but certainly not lacking. They have a very good depth and an average width, which I much prefer.

The TH-600 have a bigger soundstage but the pads don't offer the seal of the MDs and, as a result, give you a not-so-good isolation. The MDs are one of the best here.

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #620 of 3,203
I have not yet, but am planning on doing so. At the moment I'm trying the stock Denon pads on the TH-900. Unfortunately, the sound is not to my liking. I will try the Alphas soon (if they fit).

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #621 of 3,203
If your source provides a standard 2Vrms to the O2, 1x and 2.5x gain is perfect for the Mad Dogs. In this situation with these headphones, the 6.5x gain would be useless. I only use 1x with the Mad Dogs and the volume level has a ton of headroom to reach staggeringly loud levels. Now, if you have any headphones with 300 ohm impedance or higher, you might want to consider the option for 6.5x and 2.5x.

You could always go with the 6.5x and 2.5x option and see how it works for you. It is very easy to clip the resistors out of the 6.5x signal path to convert to 1x if that gain is too much and not very useful with your equipment.

I think it says here it supports 2.5 output voltage? I'm not sure what to make of this spec list.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=284

Sorry to bring this question up again but my question was buried in all of the other posts.

Why would I need the standard 2 vrms output voltage?

Does an astro mixamp with 1.6 vrms pair well with the Maddog/O2 combo?

Does my onboard ALC 892 have 2 vrms output voltage?

What would be the effect if the output voltage were to be below or above 2 vrms?

I hope someone can answer these questions.

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #622 of 3,203
I only used 2V as this is typically considered the standard for the maximum line out voltage.

The difference between 1.6V and 2V is really nothing to be concerned about.  

20*log10(2V / 1.6V) = 1.94 dB difference

Your onboard audio should be perfectly fine to use with the O2.   The O2's default gain of 2.5x and 6.5x should provide plenty of power for the Mad Dogs to perform optimally.

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #623 of 3,203
I only used 2V as this is typically considered the standard for the maximum line out voltage.

The difference between 1.6V and 2V is really nothing to be concerned about.  

20*log10(2V / 1.6V) = 1.94 dB difference

Your onboard audio should be perfectly fine to use with the O2.   The O2's default gain of 2.5x and 6.5x should provide plenty of power for the Mad Dogs to perform optimally.

But can the output voltage of my source be too high? Will there be negative effects?

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #624 of 3,203
So this is where the MD thread went...I had noticed recently the lack of news from the old thread in awhile, which I used to check every day. I was just too lazy to get sub'd to the new thread. Did I miss anything major?

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #625 of 3,203
Quote:
I have not yet, but am planning on doing so. At the moment I'm trying the stock Denon pads on the TH-900. Unfortunately, the sound is not to my liking. I will try the Alphas soon (if they fit).

I think they will.  I put Alpha pads on my D2000's and fit fine.  Assuming the pad mounting ring is the same (which I shouldn't do) but if so, they fit well and are awesome pads. 

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #626 of 3,203
Having originally intended to buy the MDs almost a year ago, I finally got around to pulling the trigger on a lightly used pair today!

I feel slightly guilty that I didn't buy them new from Dan but, hey, I'm helping to keep the used price up, which must help sell them new
cool.gif

They're now on their way to my head-fi buddy in Georgia, who's going to then forward them to me...what's that patience stuff that I've heard about before??

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #628 of 3,203
Hi all... Another review posted by AudioHead.  The link is on our review page here.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 9, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #629 of 3,203
Quote:
So.... The fidelio X1 were not really as good as I was expecting.... Now the question is, do I get the good ol' HD600 which I already know I like (except the lack of sub bass and slightly slow sound) or do I try the Mad Dogs.... Hmmmmm decisions. I do think the soundstage on the HD600 is just awesome and I do not want anything with a small soundstage.... Are the mad dogs bad in this area?

Didn't I predict you wouldn't like the X1? Try the Mad Dog (and they sound surprisingly open for a closed headphone). :wink:

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #630 of 3,203
Quote:
So this is where the MD thread went...I had noticed recently the lack of news from the old thread in awhile, which I used to check every day. I was just too lazy to get sub'd to the new thread. Did I miss anything major?

errmm...
Not really.
Still talking about LCD2/3/HE400/500 comparisons, bass output, and the differences between Mad Dog versions, etc. etc. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back