**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 21, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #3,031 of 3,203

Still running a little dot 1+ with WE408 tubes and today I just switched in a LM4562 op amp. Sounds fantastic. I went a different direction than a lot of people seem to go though, almost kills all darkness and warmth. I keep saying it, but the soundstage/detail/clarity has made an INCREDIBLE JUMP coming from the magni. If warmth is more your flavor, then just use the bb2107 op amp instead. Adds more warmth and overall bottom end. The soundstage detail and air are coming from the WE408a primarily, and the LM4562 adds just a little more and cleans up the bottom. The vocals are still forward and very very clear with my set up. 

I haven't heard of the LM4562 op amp. So I looked it up, and it appears to be a chip for a DIY type product. And If I understand it right, you rolled it into your little dot 1+.

Ha, I'm learning.

If I was looking for an end game amp only it would be Crimson. At the recent NYC meet I had a chance to compare Prime with two different setups Dan had at the meet I personally prefer new Crimson over the Liquid he still using as well. I'm not saying it's a day and night difference it's just synergy which let's me just enjoy music without worrying about too much bass for my taste or not enough treble sparkle . Yes right now I own 3 different tubes amps and really enjoying my HD800 with some tubes combos

Are you talking about the Liquid Crimson by Cavalli Audio. It sure does look nice. But $2850? It is a bunch to pay.

So come on folks - don't be shy. I'm really interested what amp you like with your MrSpeakers headphones. 

I'm still learning towards the Ragnarok with it's balanced architecture. Never heard a balanced amp, but I understand it makes a big difference. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #3,032 of 3,203

Still running a little dot 1+ with WE408 tubes and today I just switched in a LM4562 op amp. Sounds fantastic. I went a different direction than a lot of people seem to go though, almost kills all darkness and warmth. I keep saying it, but the soundstage/detail/clarity has made an INCREDIBLE JUMP coming from the magni. If warmth is more your flavor, then just use the bb2107 op amp instead. Adds more warmth and overall bottom end. The soundstage detail and air are coming from the WE408a primarily, and the LM4562 adds just a little more and cleans up the bottom. The vocals are still forward and very very clear with my set up. 

I haven't heard of the LM4562 op amp. So I looked it up, and it appears to be a chip for a DIY type product. And If I understand it right, you rolled it into your little dot 1+.

Ha, I'm learning.

If I was looking for an end game amp only it would be Crimson. At the recent NYC meet I had a chance to compare Prime with two different setups Dan had at the meet I personally prefer new Crimson over the Liquid he still using as well. I'm not saying it's a day and night difference it's just synergy which let's me just enjoy music without worrying about too much bass for my taste or not enough treble sparkle . Yes right now I own 3 different tubes amps and really enjoying my HD800 with some tubes combos

Are you talking about the Liquid Crimson by Cavalli Audio. It sure does look nice. But $2850? It is a bunch to pay.

So come on folks - don't be shy. I'm really interested what amp you like with your MrSpeakers headphones. 

I'm still learning towards the Ragnarok with it's balanced architecture. Never heard a balanced amp, but I understand it makes a big difference. 

Yes this the one I'm talking about. I had no chance to try Ragnarok yet and I'm well aware that crimson is 2800 but when compared to Liquid with both types of tubes I still prefer Crimson even while Crimson was used with Gungnir Dac while Liquid was used with Vega Dac costing more than Crimson and yes I'm well aware about importance of synergy between dac, amp and headphones as well as cables connecting them

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #3,033 of 3,203
Okay I may not be a good enough audiophile yet to figure out exactly what's good/bad about the Mad Dogs, but damn do they make Led Zeppelin sound good. Didn't realize the full extent of it until I went back to my old headphones for a while, and couldn't stand listening to some songs and couldn't figure out why. Put the Mad Dogs back on, and everything was right in the world again. Thanks Mr. Speakers for breathing new life back into one of my favorite bands!!

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #3,034 of 3,203
Hi Folks,

I am new to both the forum and the world of audiophiles. I bought the Mad Dogs (3.2) a few months ago after reading all the great reviews it has been getting on Head-Fi and elsewhere. And while I like the headphones, I am unsure if I am having the same great experience with them as you guys are. Additionally, what bothers me is that almost every review and post I have read claims that the Mad Dogs are difficult to drive and need an external amp to get the most out of them. However, I have been using them with my iPod, laptop and Android phones and they sound pretty loud on all of them, even at less than 50% of the maximum volume. Is it possible that I might have got a defective pair or is there something I am missing here? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #3,036 of 3,203
Loud enough doesn't mean they as good as intended

Thank you for replying. So if I understand correctly, when people say smartphones, ipods and laptops don't drive these headphones well enough, they don't mean that the volume is low, but rather that the sound quality is poor at high volumes and that this can be corrected by using an amp?

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #3,039 of 3,203
  Hey Guys,
Does anyone know the difference between the Mad Dogs 3.0 and the 3.2? Can you explain the sound difference?
Also, how much do the Alpha Pads improve the sound?

Thanks very much!

The largest physical difference is the switch to Alpha Pads, which provided more isolation and comfort, and helped us improve the overall sound. Sonically, the change increased the amount of sub-bass, and smoothed the mids out.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 31, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #3,041 of 3,203
Well, just put in an order for the Mad Dogs ONCE AGAIN. I stupidly traded them for X1s, didn't like the fit, traded around for others, was never happy. Always missed the Mad Dogs. Glad to get them back: nothing is made quite as well, and Dan is the man.

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #3,042 of 3,203
Well, just put in an order for the Mad Dogs ONCE AGAIN. I stupidly traded them for X1s, didn't like the fit, traded around for others, was never happy. Always missed the Mad Dogs. Glad to get them back: nothing is made quite as well, and Dan is the man.

:|

Selling my Mad Dogs and getting x2s. I hope I have better results than you did.

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #3,043 of 3,203
Yeah, sorry you didn't like the Mad Dogs. Maybe you will have better results; however, I'm really picky and just haven't found another headphone that is as solid. My X1's creaked, my K550's don't have replaceable pads, my Q701's creaked, etc...

All of these little nagging details get me. Maybe I'm too OCD, but it's nice to know that my Mad Dogs are inspected by someone with whom I have communicated several times, who appears to really care about his customers and his craft. Not only that, but the sound really is top notch. I'm done looking for perfect; these Mad Dogs are as close as it's humanly possible to get for ME at a reasonable price. Plus, they're fun as heck!

Sincerely, good luck to you. But don't say I didn't warn you about the endless tunnel that becomes an obsession with finding the "perfect" headphones!

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #3,044 of 3,203
Yeah, sorry you didn't like the Mad Dogs. Maybe you will have better results; however, I'm really picky and just haven't found another headphone that is as solid. My X1's creaked, my K550's don't have replaceable pads, my Q701's creaked, etc...

All of these little nagging details get me. Maybe I'm too OCD, but it's nice to know that my Mad Dogs are inspected by someone with whom I have communicated several times, who appears to really care about his customers and his craft. Not only that, but the sound really is top notch. I'm done looking for perfect; these Mad Dogs are as close as it's humanly possible to get for ME at a reasonable price. Plus, they're fun as heck!

Sincerely, good luck to you. But don't say I didn't warn you about the endless tunnel that becomes an obsession with finding the "perfect" headphones!

Comfort ends up being the deal breaker. That's why I'm selling my mad dogs. I wear glasses and the pads really make them dig into my head, it hurts quite a bit after 1hr+

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #3,045 of 3,203
Comfort ends up being the deal breaker. That's why I'm selling my mad dogs. I wear glasses and the pads really make them dig into my head, it hurts quite a bit after 1hr+

That's odd. I find the MD pretty comfortable when I wear my glasses. Definitely more so than a lot of other circumaural headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back