**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 20, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #3,001 of 3,203
  If I went to a silver cable (like a norne occ silver), how noticable would it be for the MDP? Would it pick up some clarity and finer details? 

Just like always when it comes to the age-old cable question - if there is indeed a difference it's going to be very small, assuming that your current cable is happy and functional. 

The most noticeable improvements come further up the equipment chain. In order of most noticeable improvement to least, it goes like this:

headphones > source files > amp >  DAC >> cables

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #3,002 of 3,203
Okay makes sense, so not the halfway point between the MDP and Alpha like I was hoping for 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #3,003 of 3,203
Hi Guys,

I bought Mad Dog headphones from the Australian dealer a few days ago and I'm pretty impressed with them and they sound as good as my Sennheiser HD650's.  Amazing what Mr Speakers has done to modify these headphones to achieve this level of sound quality. I've read a number of posts regarding their bass output for EDM and I have to say some people must like more bass than me as I think their bass output is quite low.

Cheers Rod

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #3,004 of 3,203
I picked up a little dot 1+ and I am thoroughly enjoying it a great deal more than the modi/magni. Running the modi in to the little dot. I honestly don't see myself going back to the magni for any reason. 

Dec 25, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #3,005 of 3,203
  I picked up a little dot 1+ and I am thoroughly enjoying it a great deal more than the modi/magni. Running the modi in to the little dot. I honestly don't see myself going back to the magni for any reason. 

Curious what you like more with the little dot 1+ over the magni? Is it the tubes? If so, did you consider the Lyr? Just curious.

I have the Asgard 2/Bifrost Uber/USB coming so just looking for opinions. I also have Mad Dog Pros coming and intend to pick up the Alpha Prime soon. So I'm curious to find what works best and why people like one over the other and what options outside of Schiit exist. (though I think I will really love Schiit.)

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #3,006 of 3,203
  Curious what you like more with the little dot 1+ over the magni? Is it the tubes? If so, did you consider the Lyr? Just curious.

I have the Asgard 2/Bifrost Uber/USB coming so just looking for opinions. I also have Mad Dog Pros coming and intend to pick up the Alpha Prime soon. So I'm curious to find what works best and why people like one over the other and what options outside of Schiit exist. (though I think I will really love Schiit.)

The options I looked @ over Schiit were JDS O2+ODAC and Epiphany Acoustics, along with Fiio E17+E09k. I ended up with Audio-Gd NFB-15, which is awesome- powerful, well built, beautiful musical sound, very deep detail, very loud. Experienced with MDs and now APs.

Dec 25, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #3,007 of 3,203

it's less power than the magni, but it just sounds more alive. max power on this is where i'd usually stop the magni anyway, no real trade off. I'm not using great tubes yet, just the we408a. I'm going to get the voshkods eventually, but these are great for now. There's more atmosphere and honestly I think it's more detailed, even though that's not something you'd normally associate with tubes. 

edit:

I've been listening to these for a few hours now, and I know you can't "have everything" with a single headphone, but I really feel like I do now. With the alpha dogs people mention the lack of a bottom end and with the md or mdp I found myself thinking it was too laid back and wanted more top end. The LD1+ has given more clarity and top end and kept the bass of the mdp while still keeping the mid range we all love.

Dec 26, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #3,008 of 3,203

The options I looked @ over Schiit were JDS O2+ODAC and Epiphany Acoustics, along with Fiio E17+E09k. I ended up with Audio-Gd NFB-15, which is awesome- powerful, well built, beautiful musical sound, very deep detail, very loud. Experienced with MDs and now APs.

Thanks M-83. It looks interesting. I just personally have a hard time buying from a Chinese company. If anything goes wrong, who do I get in touch with?

If anything goes wrong with Schiit, I know they will make everything right. They have so far and I did have a problem in shipping with them. Not their fault - Fedex assumed responsibility, but they were right there making it right.

I am always interested in alternatives. Would sure rather buy from an established company or dealer in the US - at least I think I would. Whew so much to get my head around with all this equipment. Thanks again.

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #3,009 of 3,203
  Thanks M-83. It looks interesting. I just personally have a hard time buying from a Chinese company. If anything goes wrong, who do I get in touch with?

If anything goes wrong with Schiit, I know they will make everything right. They have so far and I did have a problem in shipping with them. Not their fault - Fedex assumed responsibility, but they were right there making it right.

I am always interested in alternatives. Would sure rather buy from an established company or dealer in the US - at least I think I would. Whew so much to get my head around with all this equipment. Thanks again.

You're welcome. It's a brilliant device, with two high end wolfson 8741 chips, one per channel. You get a ten year warranty with their kit, and if you here concerns you should email Kingwa at audio-gd, he is great way answering questions.

I bought mine from a French reseller in the EU, because I live in UK. You should have a look on the web for a U.S. based reseller if that would put your mind at rest.

I did a huge amount of reading on all the options and for $250 the NFB 15 is fantastic. I've read lots of comments in the nfb15 forum where people in USA here ordered from China without issue.

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #3,010 of 3,203
Just got my Mad Dogs a few days ago, and they are my first really good headphone, so I don't have a ton to go on. I like them, but I'm not blown away like I was expecting. I do not have an external amp or dac, I'm just running them off my PC and phone. I am also only using mp3s. None of these things are helping the headphones, I'm aware, but I'm in high school and don't have a ton to spend. Will running them with a proper amp/dac and higher quality files help a ton, or is this basicly what u can expect from these cans? Were my expectations just too high going in? If I do get an amp and dac, which would you recommend (the cheaper the better)? I was looking at the Magni/Modi from Schiit partially for the price and partially because I really like what Schiit is doing as a company (good sense of humor, small time, communicates with community, made in USA, etc) and maybe something from Fiio for mobile amp/dac down the road. I'm new here and looking for some guidance before blowing my Summer job money on something sub-par. Thank you!

Sam

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #3,011 of 3,203
I do not have an external amp or dac, I'm just running them off my PC and phone. I am also only using mp3s. 

*sucks air in through teeth

Yep, that's your problem right there. To get the most from your Mad Dogs you need a decent amp and use high quality files (v0 - 320kbs MP3 / FLAC). You might consider getting an amp first and then a DAC later if you need to reduce distortion from your computer's line out.

Magni/O2 are standard recommendations for small desktop amps. The Cayin C5 is the best portable amp I've tried so far. I have yet to hear a Fiio that makes the Mad Dogs sound great.

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #3,012 of 3,203
Just got my Mad Dogs a few days ago, and they are my first really good headphone, so I don't have a ton to go on. I like them, but I'm not blown away like I was expecting. I do not have an external amp or dac, I'm just running them off my PC and phone. I am also only using mp3s. None of these things are helping the headphones, I'm aware, but I'm in high school and don't have a ton to spend. Will running them with a proper amp/dac and higher quality files help a ton, or is this basicly what u can expect from these cans? Were my expectations just too high going in? If I do get an amp and dac, which would you recommend (the cheaper the better)? I was looking at the Magni/Modi from Schiit partially for the price and partially because I really like what Schiit is doing as a company (good sense of humor, small time, communicates with community, made in USA, etc) and maybe something from Fiio for mobile amp/dac down the road. I'm new here and looking for some guidance before blowing my Summer job money on something sub-par. Thank you!

Sam

I've heard that the magna/midi combo is good, JDS O2+ODAC is better, but Audio-Gd NFB-15 is the best of the bunch when looking at cost effective amp/dac purchase.  Try and save circa $250 and then decide which is best for you.  You don't HAVE to spend that much, but I cannot say how much I love my NFB-15 with Mad Dogs/Alpha Primes and @ $250 its a bargain I feel.

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #3,014 of 3,203
  That's what I thought tbh lol.

Actually, I'm rather pleased at such a reaction, far from what I'd expected from the hearsay I've heard about HeadFi'ers in general. That's one of the reasons why I'd taken so long to join HeadFi, others bad mouthing the peeps here. I was in another forum, NOT audio centric like here, more computers in general though they do have an audio subforum. I was wondering about what dac/amp combo to get for my then imminent arrival of a pair of HD800. Based on the positive local feedback on iFi Micro iDSD, I decided to get it. To reiniforced my decision,

I looked through some reviews and, inevitably, found reviews of it here as well. When I decided to inform that audio subforum about my choice, most were rather civilised (they had suggested O2DAC IIRC). There was, however, one particularly nasty 'guru' there who called me a HeadFi sheep, and suggested that I join HeadFi instead. I pointed out to him that the Micro iDSD was locally available and had great local support, and that I was entitled to spend my money as I see fit, though I thanked him for his help. This guy didn't let up, pursued me whenever I'd posted calling me a HeadFi sheep. Needless to say, I'd gotten fed up and told him off, and voluntarily chose NOT to post in the audio section again. 

I hope nobody's ticked off at me but I was told, or lead to believe that the peeps at HeadFi were a bunch of elitists, humorless and arrogant, and thumb their collective noses at audio plebs and newbies. Glad to see this is far from the truth, makes me even more sure that I've done good by joining HeadFi....pardon my digression, just so glad to see excellent posts from members here.

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #3,015 of 3,203
I've heard that the magna/midi combo is good, JDS O2+ODAC is better, but Audio-Gd NFB-15 is the best of the bunch when looking at cost effective amp/dac purchase.  Try and save circa $250 and then decide which is best for you.  You don't HAVE to spend that much, but I cannot say how much I love my NFB-15 with Mad Dogs/Alpha Primes and @ $250 its a bargain I feel.

Another thumbs up for The audio gd. The bang for the buck offered is outstanding.

Now for mikey1964

The t50s will scale fairly well from just pc out to a dedicated amp/dac. For instance, my iPod touch could get some volume to my modded t50s, but lacked overall detail and refinement. My fiio x3 can drive them actually pretty well. But then I go fully balanced to my audio gd, and boom, there's that planar magic. To some the scaling isn't worth the money for the sq gains you get. Honestly for me when I first got my real first set of hps I was constantly disappointed with equipment changes/hp changes. Until I got my he4, then that hp made me appreciate the gains that can be had by gear/source. My t50s do as well. Mine aren't mad dogs, but they're thoroughly modded and don't sound to off from the 3.2s I had for a bit. Mine actually seem less efficient as well. Anyhow good luck here and be sure to post back when you get some more gear for those mad dogs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back