**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 28, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #3,016 of 3,203
If I were to buy a new ss amp it would be the NFB-15 without question. After hearing how much better than LD1+ is than the Magni though, I don't know that I'd ever go back to solid state. I'm still just completely taken back by how sparkly the highs are and how much much larger the sound stage is, the treble just has SO MUCH AIR with the tubes I'm running - and they're not even the best tubes out there, and it's still the stock opamp. For $116 I really just do not think this combo can be beaten. I'm going to order a few opamps this week to experiment. I've read almost all the posts on this thread and I'm surprised not many people are using the LD1+ for the Mad Dog. Again, the reason I went to it is because I didn't want the laid back sound anymore. If I want it back, I could easily gain it with a different set of tubes and still retain the massive sound stage. I really cannot recommend this set up enough. If anyone out there has the dogs and is remotely thinking about tubes and already have a DAC (I'm using modi still), this is it. I like it so much I (currently) don't even want to get the Alpha Dogs because I don't want to mess up the synergy I have. Compared to the LD1+ with the WE408A tubes, the Magni sounds veiled. There's no other way to say it. It's also worth noting that the LD1+ has more power than the Vali for less money with the option to swap tubes and opamps. It's not as attractive, but you do get the nice tube glow 
biggrin.gif

I thought the MDP was good before, but I never knew they could sound like this.

Hope this helps people that are on the fence.

Seeing how much passion people have about the NFB-15 really makes me want to try it out too. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #3,017 of 3,203
  Actually, I'm rather pleased at such a reaction, far from what I'd expected from the hearsay I've heard about HeadFi'ers in general. That's one of the reasons why I'd taken so long to join HeadFi, others bad mouthing the peeps here. I was in another forum, NOT audio centric like here, more computers in general though they do have an audio subforum. I was wondering about what dac/amp combo to get for my then imminent arrival of a pair of HD800. Based on the positive local feedback on iFi Micro iDSD, I decided to get it. To reiniforced my decision,

I looked through some reviews and, inevitably, found reviews of it here as well. When I decided to inform that audio subforum about my choice, most were rather civilised (they had suggested O2DAC IIRC). There was, however, one particularly nasty 'guru' there who called me a HeadFi sheep, and suggested that I join HeadFi instead. I pointed out to him that the Micro iDSD was locally available and had great local support, and that I was entitled to spend my money as I see fit, though I thanked him for his help. This guy didn't let up, pursued me whenever I'd posted calling me a HeadFi sheep. Needless to say, I'd gotten fed up and told him off, and voluntarily chose NOT to post in the audio section again. 

I hope nobody's ticked off at me but I was told, or lead to believe that the peeps at HeadFi were a bunch of elitists, humorless and arrogant, and thumb their collective noses at audio plebs and newbies. Glad to see this is far from the truth, makes me even more sure that I've done good by joining HeadFi....pardon my digression, just so glad to see excellent posts from members here.

Sorry to hear you've had a bit of a rubbish time of it on other forums, that's unfair and not right regardless of forum type etc.  People like that "guru" you mentioned are not worthy of such a title and it's great that you have joined Head-Fi- I haven't come across anyone unpleasant here, many people from different walks of life have taken their time to help we which I'm very grateful for.  If you ever need any assistance I'll be happy to help if I can though there are far more knowledgeable people here than me!

(PS my acknowledgement of Hucifer's one-liner was just cause it made me chuckle I wasn't being facetious etc)

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #3,019 of 3,203
If only they look as good as they sounded.I suppose that's the compromise for the sound quality.

I've never thought the agd stuff looked to bad, it's a minimalist structure for sure but once you plug your hps in, you tend to forget about the boring appearance.

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #3,020 of 3,203
Mad Dog Pro - First Impression.

Got my Mad Dog Pro's a day ago. 

At first I wasn't blown away. But after about 15 minutes, I switched back to my Shure SRH440's - and then I was blown away.

I couldn't believe how much more I was hearing in the Mad Dog Pro's. 

After half an hour I was so immersed in the music I could hardly pull myself from it. All the little sounds I hadn't heard before. The muddiness that just cleared out of the mid's. And the bass reach - holy smokes. Not too much but l'm not sure I've found an end to it. It just keeps going... and all the while melodic until it becomes a feeling of a sub. 

And, I'm about to be even happier. My Schiit stack - Asgard 2/Bifrost Uber haven't arrived yet. All I've heard them on is a Duet sound card. So I believe I will be even happier when I get the rest of my Schiit.

I've left them playing for 24 hours in case there is something to "break in". And actually they are sounding even better. But that could very well just be me getting used to them.

Played a bit of Nickelback and it sounds so precise. Trentemoller was amazing.  EDM is spectacular. Female vocalists just amazing. I haven't found anything I don't like on them. But I will say that some old music I like are full of much more noise than I suspected now that I'm hearing so much more. Bad recordings are clearly heard. Still even then, I like them even more.

Honestly I don't know if these headphones are this incredible or if the ones I'm coming from were so bad. I've gone back and forth listening to them. The difference is huge now for me. And since the others didn't used to sound bad to me, then these must just be incredible.

I will mention that they are super comfortable. They are a tad heavy, but super comfortable - and the heaviness just disappears. They look expensive, feel expensive and well, are somewhat expensive. Much more than I've ever paid before. 

Seems hard to imagine that the Alpha Primes would sound THAT much better. I almost can't imagine it.

If there is one thing I would wish for... a bigger stage and more height. Maybe that will come with my Amp/DAC. If not, maybe a tube amp.

Overall so far... a huge two thumbs up. Let's see if I continue to be this impressed.

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #3,021 of 3,203
I'm putting my 8 week old NFB-15 & 10 week old Mad Dog headphones up for sale in uk (£350 plus shipping for the lot) to help towards a new Amp for my new Alpha Primes.

PM me if interested. I'll be listing in for sale forums @ weekend.

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #3,022 of 3,203
Finally today I got my Schiit stack and was able to give my Mad Dog Pro's a proper listening. 

What a difference power makes. These headphones very much exceed my expectations.

I thought they were good before but in an amp that doesn't have enough power, they couldn't shine like they do now.

I'm extremely impressed.

Thanks Dan. They are incredible. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #3,023 of 3,203
Finally today I got my Schiit stack and was able to give my Mad Dog Pro's a proper listening. 

What a difference power makes. These headphones very much exceed my expectations.

I thought they were good before but in an amp that doesn't have enough power, they couldn't shine like they do now.

I'm extremely impressed.

Thanks Dan. They are incredible. 

You are most welcome!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 11, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #3,024 of 3,203
  I'm putting my 8 week old NFB-15 & 10 week old Mad Dog headphones up for sale in uk (£350 plus shipping for the lot) to help towards a new Amp for my new Alpha Primes.

PM me if interested. I'll be listing in for sale forums @ weekend.

Curious what amp you will be getting for your Primes?

Jan 11, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #3,025 of 3,203
I'm real curious what amp others are loving for their MD/MDP/AlphaPrimes?

My Asgard 2 powers the crap out of my MDP. On the high setting, I can't get much past 12 oclock without destroying my ears.

But I will say, I went back and forth between the Asgard 2 and the Lyr 2. Still not sure I made the right choice - though I'm absolutely loving my sound.

Dan told me he felt the Lyr 2 was a definate upgrade. 

Now I'm hearing a lot about the Project Ember which looks to be every bit as good as the Lyr 2 but easier to roll tubes.

I could pick up a Ragnarok and say game over. But I'm not sure it is really necessary to spend that kind of money. And I hear so many good things about tube amps with the Mad Dogs.

I may pick a tube amp up just to compare with what I have. Unfortunately, there are no meets that I could go to to try out a bunch of different amps and combos. 

But I probably will pick up the Alpha Primes. I'm completely blown away with the ADP. And everyone tells me that the Primes are significantly better. 

Anyway, love to hear about great amp pairing with your MD's of whatever flavor.

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #3,026 of 3,203
  Curious what amp you will be getting for your Primes?

Not sure yet.  Possibly a tube amp.  I have an NFB-15 which is powerful and sounds good, though as a mate of mine put it after hearing with my Mad Dogs: "Tube amps will be far more natural and therefore better - I could almost hear the 1's and 0's listening to the NFB-15. It has plenty of grunt but still sounds too digitally veiled".

(Although my Alpha Primes sound much better than MDs with NFB-15)

So, I think I have two options :

1) Sell my NFB-15 & Mad Dogs for £300 (gbp) plus shipping and use the money towards a nice desktop tube amp for my alpha primes

2) Keep NFB-15 for a while and sell my MDs for £180 (gbp) plus shipping whilst waiting for a nice hand built solid state class A amp (up to 2W power) a mate is very slowly building and have that for a small price and use my Fiio X5 as a DAC.

3) Sell Mds and buy a cheap vintage amp that has the grunt for alpa primes out of 1/4" headphone socket and could have Fiio X5 as source connected via Coax in to the amp (any suggestions on this 3rd option appreciated as I'm clueless about vintage gear TBH)

My wife and I are expecting our first child this summer so ideally I guess with costs needing to be minimised "option 3" is actually the best, although vintage is not good for space because my NFB-15 is on my bedside and going bigger will mean I cannot fit my phone cradle and headphone stand on my bedside table.

Gah options options!

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #3,027 of 3,203

Not sure yet.  Possibly a tube amp.  I have an NFB-15 which is powerful and sounds good, though as a mate of mine put it after hearing with my Mad Dogs: "Tube amps will be far more natural and therefore better - I could almost hear the 1's and 0's listening to the NFB-15. It has plenty of grunt but still sounds too digitally veiled".

(Although my Alpha Primes sound much better than MDs with NFB-15)

So, I think I have two options :

1) Sell my NFB-15 & Mad Dogs for £300 (gbp) plus shipping and use the money towards a nice desktop tube amp for my alpha primes

2) Keep NFB-15 for a while and sell my MDs for £180 (gbp) plus shipping whilst waiting for a nice hand built solid state class A amp (up to 2W power) a mate is very slowly building and have that for a small price and use my Fiio X5 as a DAC.

3) Sell Mds and buy a cheap vintage amp that has the grunt for alpa primes out of 1/4" headphone socket and could have Fiio X5 as source connected via Coax in to the amp (any suggestions on this 3rd option appreciated as I'm clueless about vintage gear TBH)

My wife and I are expecting our first child this summer so ideally I guess with costs needing to be minimised "option 3" is actually the best, although vintage is not good for space because my NFB-15 is on my bedside and going bigger will mean I cannot fit my phone cradle and headphone stand on my bedside table.

Gah options options!

First off, congratulations on your 1st child. You are in for a real ride. 
beerchug.gif

And I agree that there are so many choices. Good grief. 

By the way, how big a difference do you hear between your Mad Dog and the Primes? I'm wanting a pair really bad. But do love my MDP. Don't think I will sell mine. Just add the AP.

As to an amp, man I'm torn. For the first time last night I actually found a couple songs that I wished I could turn up louder then my Asgard 2 could do real well. Yes, it was mind splittingly loud. Still it's nice to know the power is there if I want it, and now I'm thinking I definitely need something with a bit more power/headroom. The Lyr 2 would give me all the power I need. But I think the Project Ember would as well. It's cheaper and FAR more adjustable and looks much easier to roll tubes (and there is only 1 to roll which makes it much less expensive).

For me, the Prime is a considerable expense but everyone says that after the source music, Headphones are the best place to put money 1st. I just want to be sure I can power them and give them all they need to sound incredible - and hopefully without having to go to something like the Ragnarok. I haven't thought much about a vintage amp due to them usually being so big.

I'm sure many will weigh in here and we'll learn more. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #3,028 of 3,203
  First off, congratulations on your 1st child. You are in for a real ride. 
beerchug.gif

And I agree that there are so many choices. Good grief. 

By the way, how big a difference do you hear between your Mad Dog and the Primes? I'm wanting a pair really bad. But do love my MDP. Don't think I will sell mine. Just add the AP.

As to an amp, man I'm torn. For the first time last night I actually found a couple songs that I wished I could turn up louder then my Asgard 2 could do real well. Yes, it was mind splittingly loud. Still it's nice to know the power is there if I want it, and now I'm thinking I definitely need something with a bit more power/headroom. The Lyr 2 would give me all the power I need. But I think the Project Ember would as well. It's cheaper and FAR more adjustable and looks much easier to roll tubes (and there is only 1 to roll which makes it much less expensive).

For me, the Prime is a considerable expense but everyone says that after the source music, Headphones are the best place to put money 1st. I just want to be sure I can power them and give them all they need to sound incredible - and hopefully without having to go to something like the Ragnarok. I haven't thought much about a vintage amp due to them usually being so big.

I'm sure many will weigh in here and we'll learn more. 

Thanks very much I'm expecting a rollercoaster ride- can't wait!
beerchug.gif

I spent too much really in buying MS then upgrading so soon (3 weeks later) to AP's, but actually I have no "buyers remorse" the primes are just (for me at least) a world apart- improved in every aspect, and actually whilst the air between instruments, vocals, wider sound are all more impressive, the best thing for me is the improved deep bass/sub bass. My music Is more alive and vibrant with the primes, I've had a few times here & there where a tear almost forms when it hits me and pulls on my heart strings.  If you have the budget go for it I doubt you'd have any buyers remorse.

For me, volume wise, my NFB-15 is far far louder than I'd ever need; I rarely listen past 1/2 way on volume pot. About 10 o'clock is the sweet-spot for me. I have a couple of songs that require higher volume but never have I been left wanting for more power with NFB-15. The only thing that's missing is what I call "sparkle". I almost can't describe it- it's like there is an "x-factor" missing using the NFB- it's possibly a bit too smooth? I don't want Sennheiser HD595 or AKG K550 treble levels, but I think a tube amp could give me what I seek- maybe a touch brighter sound.

I know it's not a change of headphones I need- I want my AP's to last at least 5 years before I consider a swap out.

Yeah size is an issue with vintage, I'd love to have a go with a vintage amp one day.

Jan 21, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #3,029 of 3,203
  I'm real curious what amp others are loving for their MD/MDP/AlphaPrimes?

My Asgard 2 powers the crap out of my MDP. On the high setting, I can't get much past 12 oclock without destroying my ears.

But I will say, I went back and forth between the Asgard 2 and the Lyr 2. Still not sure I made the right choice - though I'm absolutely loving my sound.

Dan told me he felt the Lyr 2 was a definate upgrade. 

Now I'm hearing a lot about the Project Ember which looks to be every bit as good as the Lyr 2 but easier to roll tubes.

I could pick up a Ragnarok and say game over. But I'm not sure it is really necessary to spend that kind of money. And I hear so many good things about tube amps with the Mad Dogs.

I may pick a tube amp up just to compare with what I have. Unfortunately, there are no meets that I could go to to try out a bunch of different amps and combos. 

But I probably will pick up the Alpha Primes. I'm completely blown away with the ADP. And everyone tells me that the Primes are significantly better. 

Anyway, love to hear about great amp pairing with your MD's of whatever flavor.

Still running a little dot 1+ with WE408 tubes and today I just switched in a LM4562 op amp. Sounds fantastic. I went a different direction than a lot of people seem to go though, almost kills all darkness and warmth. I keep saying it, but the soundstage/detail/clarity has made an INCREDIBLE JUMP coming from the magni. If warmth is more your flavor, then just use the bb2107 op amp instead. Adds more warmth and overall bottom end. The soundstage detail and air are coming from the WE408a primarily, and the LM4562 adds just a little more and cleans up the bottom. The vocals are still forward and very very clear with my set up. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #3,030 of 3,203
If I was looking for an end game amp only it would be Crimson. At the recent NYC meet I had a chance to compare Prime with two different setups Dan had at the meet I personally prefer new Crimson over the Liquid he still using as well. I'm not saying it's a day and night difference it's just synergy which let's me just enjoy music without worrying about too much bass for my taste or not enough treble sparkle . Yes right now I own 3 different tubes amps and really enjoying my HD800 with some tubes combos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back