**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 8, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #2,988 of 3,203

I originally used a Fiio E17 which was "ok", but didn't drive them will enough to open the soundstage up. So I returned them and got an Audio-gd NFB-15 amp-dac instead which is fantastic. Although I've not got the portable capability as the NFB-15 is desktop (ideal for bedside table) I definitely made the right choice. It had power in abundance, but this is not a benefit just for volume, it helps the mad dogs execute the louder peaks in music more accurately and with more weight.

HTH.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #2,990 of 3,203
I am almost ready to pull the trigger and buy the Mad Dog Pro.

I will be using them to produce EDM and some softer stuff as well. Also, would just enjoy listening as well as producing. Need something that doesn't color the sound to much. 

The other option would be the Beyer DT 880's.

The Mad Dog Pro's will run $100 more but with the nice real leather covers on the ear pieces, and the quality, I'm strongly leaning towards them. If they will work well for producing, I think from all I have read, they sound incredible. Further doing business with a smaller company and their personal service sounds wonderful.

Will be pairing these with an Asgard 2/Bifrost combo. 

Anyone have any thoughts about this? I haven't found much here comparing them to the 880's. 

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #2,991 of 3,203

I will be using them to produce EDM and some softer stuff as well. Also, would just enjoy listening as well as producing. Need something that doesn't color the sound to much. 

The Mad Dog Pro's will run $100 more but with the nice real leather covers on the ear pieces, and the quality, I'm strongly leaning towards them. If they will work well for producing, I think from all I have read, they sound incredible. Further doing business with a smaller company and their personal service sounds wonderful.

Anyone have any thoughts about this? I haven't found much here comparing them to the 880's. 

While both fairly neutral, the MD and DT880 are quite different headphones.

The MD are darker, with more relaxed treble, whereas the DT880 are brighter and colder-sounding. The DT880 are most likely the better choice for mastering/mixing but the MDs are a much more enjoyable sounding headphone (IMO). The Dt880s sound a bit empty and harsh in comparison.

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #2,992 of 3,203

I own the DT880 and I'd say get the Mad Dog Pro if you are into EDM and all that. The DT880 just can't compete when it comes to ridiculous bass you will come to love the weight of planar magnetics especially listening to Trentemoller, Deadmau5, Caribou, Gorillaz etc. I have the Alpha Dogs and they make the DT880's bass sound anemic by comparison when the DT880 is definitely not anemic, I've heard headphones that have absolutely no bass before.. AKGK550 (cough**). Only the best TOTL dynamic headphones can compete with planars when it comes to reproducing the best quality bass and most satisfying too

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #2,993 of 3,203

I own the DT880 and I'd say get the Mad Dog Pro if you are into EDM and all that. The DT880 just can't compete when it comes to ridiculous bass you will come to love the weight of planar magnetics especially listening to Trentemoller, Deadmau5, Caribou, Gorillaz etc. I have the Alpha Dogs and they make the DT880's bass sound anemic by comparison when the DT880 is definitely not anemic, I've heard headphones that have absolutely no bass before.. AKGK550 (cough**). Only the best TOTL dynamic headphones can compete with planars when it comes to reproducing the best quality bass and most satisfying too

Oh yeah, music to my ears. I love EDM, hard rock - but also some easy listening stuff, background music for concentrating etc. I'm hoping that the Mad Dog Pro's won't color things to much for mixing. But love the kind of bass response you are talking about. 

While both fairly neutral, the MD and DT880 are quite different headphones.

The MD are darker, with more relaxed treble, whereas the DT880 are brighter and colder-sounding. The DT880 are most likely the better choice for mastering/mixing but the MDs are a much more enjoyable sounding headphone (IMO). The Dt880s sound a bit empty and harsh in comparison.

Yeah, I know that the 880's would probably be a bit less color and probably the better choice purely for mastering/mixing but I want something really good for listening too. Seems the Mad Dog Pro would be a good compromise. As long as it doesn't have too much color that would screw up my producing, I still learn strongly towards it.

Further, I can't call Beyer and get some help. I called Mr. Speakers and Dan answered. He was beyond helpful. This is the kind of company I would love to support. Even to the point of raping my budget for another $100 (and I already doubled it beyond where I thought I was willing to go.)  LOL  Whew, one can really spend some money on this. If I had the money, I'd probably buy the Alpha Prime but alas, they will have to be a future acquisition.

Unless you feel that my mixing and mastering would be thrown completely off, these are going to be the new phones for me. I am open to any thoughts on this, as I know both are quality phones. 

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #2,994 of 3,203
Wooo Hooo

Just pulled the trigger and bought a new pair of Mad Dog Pro's.

Dan is unbelievably nice and very helpful. This is the way to do business. Nothing I like more than supporting a small/medium company who gives amazing service. 

Now, the even more agonizing wait begins, to get them.

I'm coupling these with the Shiit... Asgard 2/Bifrost combo. The Bifrost will have the USB added extra and the upgraded Uber Analogue. So I should be good to go.

By the way, equally fantastic is Shiit tech support. They actually were the ones that first suggested the Mad Dog Pro's. Phenomenally helpful. 

What a great and classy experience this was all around. Parting with so much money never felt so good.  LOL

Thanks to this forum and those who responded helping me choose.

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #2,996 of 3,203
Hey guys I have a question about the Mad Dog 3.0. Back in July I got a used pair with alpha pads from another person on here. Since I know the version 3.0 is older, how long theoretically would the mod last? I enjoy the sound and have thought about upgrading to the latest revision. Do the changes inside the drivers go bad after a while? Thanks!

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #2,997 of 3,203
Hey guys I have a question about the Mad Dog 3.0. Back in July I got a used pair with alpha pads from another person on here. Since I know the version 3.0 is older, how long theoretically would the mod last? I enjoy the sound and have thought about upgrading to the latest revision. Do the changes inside the drivers go bad after a while? Thanks!

The drivers aren't altered in the mod at all, it's the internals of the cup. The mods will never change unless someone opens them up.

Dec 17, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #2,999 of 3,203
I'd just like to share with those that enjoy EDM...I've just come across an amazing Electro album by "Odessa" called "in Return (Deluxe)".  I'm really enjoying it as I type this and thought some of you may appreciate it.  It's brilliant on my Mad Dogs!

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #3,000 of 3,203
If I went to a silver cable (like a norne occ silver), how noticable would it be for the MDP? Would it pick up some clarity and finer details? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back