**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 30, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #2,101 of 3,203
  I give you some choices. Of all the desktop amps, the best performing and least expensive of them all...a vintage receiver, period. Hands down, no contest. The old receivers from the 70's have some legitimate power and refinement. But they are not for everyone. The often need simple TLC to get back to good working order, but they can sometimes need much more...just depends on what your local CL might turn up. You could end up with a nice Pioneer sx receiver for $50 bucks that would rock the socks off the MD. 

Depending on your budget ( you should always list your budget when asking for suggestions 
wink.gif
) consider the following:

*Asgard 2

*Fiio e12

*Audio GD (they all have good clean power)

There is an entire thread dedicated to amp pairings with the MD. Just check under the full sized amp section here.

gL!!

Thanks! I'll make sure to check out that other thread. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #2,103 of 3,203
The Mad Dogs have provided some of the most fun and enjoyment out of any headphone.

Sadly since getting my Denon D600 it's made the Mad Dog not very musical and too laid back in a boring kind of way.

I hate it when things like this happen and it makes me wish I stayed away from this hobby!

I'm putting my Mad Dog up for sale if anyone in the UK is interested, I may ship overseas. Nothing wrong with them they are phenomenal it's just my Denon have a more fun bass and a more musical sound signature while still having some great detail and at the end of the day that's what's it's about.

Just sticking with my Denon and MA900 so the rest is up for sale.

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #2,104 of 3,203
The Mad Dogs have provided some of the most fun and enjoyment out of any headphone.

Sadly since getting my Denon D600 it's made the Mad Dog not very musical and too laid back in a boring kind of way.

I hate it when things like this happen and it makes me wish I stayed away from this hobby!

I'm putting my Mad Dog up for sale if anyone in the UK is interested, I may ship overseas. Nothing wrong with them they are phenomenal it's just my Denon have a more fun bass and a more musical sound signature while still having some great detail and at the end of the day that's what's it's about.

Well i find both of them very close rivals,

using d600 directly unamped gave a bit more bass, and a sparkled treble which with some songs was just awesome but with most songs for me it was a bit fatiguing.

my experience with mad dog showed me it is a bit amp driven, i got the mad dog with jds O2, for the quality it is on par IMO but it was somehow laid back and lacks the interesting sparkle with the treble ( the d600 has the sparkle which tend to be fatiguing for all classical female voices for me at least)

i had an old leckerton uha-4 amp, when i tried with the mad dog, now they sounded nearly the same as the d600, the beat was more aggressive and the treble is sparkled in a fatiguing way also, so i think one of the best things about the mad dog that each amp is a story.

i haven't tried amping with the d600 its very nice without amping.

anyway good luck with selling it !

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #2,105 of 3,203
It's sad to see them go. It seems my taste has settled for more exciting phones. There is still a chance that I'd keep them, it's between them nd the MA900 and it's a difficult choice. The MA900 is my gaming phone it's stage is impressive. Problem is the Mad Dog has these liquid smooth mids that are really yummy it's hard to pick phones over them but because the MA900 do gaming so well I'm leaning to them. The D600 have provided something I've been missing and that's pure musical enjoyment.

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #2,106 of 3,203

Interesting, now I am curious.

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #2,108 of 3,203
I found the HP100 colder and duller than both the Mad Dog and D600, I don't think it's on their level personally in any category. They are decent though they remind me a bit of the K550 with a bit more meat on the low end.

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #2,109 of 3,203
guys,
I'm searching for nice solution of amplification for headsets in general.
I have 3 options ( and I do not think of any other's):

1: Schiit Vali - great amp (price ok) but I will need DAC for it.

2: DIY amp:
http://allegro.pl/lampowy-wzmacniacz-sluchawkowy-otl-culm-i3831560882.html
or
http://allegro.pl/lampowy-wzmacniacz-sluchawkowy-otl-culm-i3831598977.html
Not bad parts and price
Also DAC will be needed

3: Audio-gd gear
DAC with headphone amp:
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1132/NFB11.32EN.htm
or
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Compass%202/Compass2EN.htm

Honeslty I'm my side is Audio-gd as I have heard it with Sabre chip - nice but very analitycal.

Any experiences with first and third option?

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #2,114 of 3,203
  Grado SR60i
...and maybe Mad Dog in the future.

I assume I will need superhiperbooster DAC with any amp.

I think you could search for recommended amps for the Grado, and then the same for Mad Dogs, and see which results overlap. I've read that Grados like tube amps (but which ones, I'm not sure).
What is a "superhiperbooster DAC"?

leeplo, I have no idea which DAC you're referring to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back