**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 6, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #2,134 of 3,203
  I give you some choices. Of all the desktop amps, the best performing and least expensive of them all...a vintage receiver, period. Hands down, no contest. The old receivers from the 70's have some legitimate power and refinement. But they are not for everyone. The often need simple TLC to get back to good working order, but they can sometimes need much more...just depends on what your local CL might turn up. You could end up with a nice Pioneer sx receiver for $50 bucks that would rock the socks off the MD. 

Depending on your budget ( you should always list your budget when asking for suggestions 
wink.gif
) consider the following:

*Asgard 2

*Fiio e12

*Audio GD (they all have good clean power)

There is an entire thread dedicated to amp pairings with the MD. Just check under the full sized amp section here.

gL!!

Hi Matt, what about portable DAC/amp combos would you recommend for the MDs? Thanks!

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #2,138 of 3,203

Hi Matt, what about portable DAC/amp combos would you recommend for the MDs? Thanks!

I think MrSpeakers himself uses a Leckerton..saw it in a video somewhere. Can someone verify this?

I'll probably try it with the Schiit Vali and see how it does.

I enjoy my Vali + MD pairing. Hopefully you will too.

Jan 6, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #2,139 of 3,203
  I'll probably try it with the Schiit Vali and see how it does.

The Vali and the Mad Dog is a good pairing (that I use for my late-night Youtube fix).   Both have a relatively shallow soundstage, so it is a good match (in that neither has a big soundstage that would otherwise be ruined by the other).

And the Vali provides a lot of detail, and the Mad Dog's excellent mids allow you to hear that.

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #2,140 of 3,203
Jan 7, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #2,142 of 3,203
Just got them in the mail today along with the e12, but I'm having an issue with the 3.5mm cable, when I plug it into the amp or just my phone I get really warped sound sometime and I have to turn and push the cable end to fix it (and it often happens multiple times). Is this just a bad cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back