**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 17, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #2,071 of 3,203
maybe my head is too small..and the mad dog are heavy on my head :D although I do walk around with them in my house when driven using Hifiman HM-901 balance. but I think they sound the best when using desktop amp.

They're certainly not the lightest headphones around. My 8400's are lighter by about 1/3. I didn't find the Shure's to be too heavy; they just rubbed my ears wrong (literally, not sonically). My KRK's probably don't isolate as well as the Mad Dogs, though. That's one of the reasons why I want to upgrade.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #2,072 of 3,203
They're certainly not the lightest headphones around. My 8400's are lighter by about 1/3. I didn't find the Shure's to be too heavy; they just rubbed my ears wrong (literally, not sonically). My KRK's probably don't isolate as well as the Mad Dogs, though. That's one of the reasons why I want to upgrade.

Mad Dogs are my ear opener to planar phones and also a good test to the strength of my neck.. I hope to upgrade to HE-6 by year end to take advantage of local X'mas sales and will test my neck further.... LoL

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #2,073 of 3,203

Mad Dogs are my ear opener to planar phones and also a good test to the strength of my neck.. I hope to upgrade to HE-6 by year end to take advantage of local X'mas sales and will test my neck further.... LoL

Mad Dogs are neither heavy nor light.  They are not a neck test - although they are certainly heavier than other headphones like the MA900s.   IIRC, all the HiFiMan planars are more of a neck test than the Mad Dog.

Dec 18, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #2,074 of 3,203

Mad Dogs are neither heavy nor light.  They are not a neck test - although they are certainly heavier than other headphones like the MA900s.   IIRC, all the HiFiMan planars are more of a neck test than the Mad Dog.

u r right, it was a bit of hyperbole.... but coming from hd650 and my first experience with planar, the mad dog are relatively heavier

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #2,076 of 3,203
Everybody has a different definition of portable. The Mad Dogs are perfectly acceptable off a simple iPod/CMoy setup. They won't excel like they will on a good desktop setup, but they'll sound decent.

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #2,077 of 3,203
When I tried the at a recent meet, I found them to be just fine for portable use. Yes a tad on the huge side, but isolation and comfort is spot on. Driven from an E12 I found them very good for portable use. I'll be getting an E18 soon enough though...

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #2,078 of 3,203
I guess I am the shy type who will feel a bit uncomfortable wearing the mad dogs in the busy streets of Hong Kong.... as you guys have rightfully mentioned, everyone is different...

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #2,081 of 3,203
  Other than the size concern, do they leak any sound? 

Not really unless you crank it really really uncomfortably loud... (at least in my experience)

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #2,082 of 3,203
I've had my Mad Dogs for a few days now, and oh my god, I'm in love. EDM is a blast to listen to, and yet, acoustic tracks are so detailed! Everything from Pretty Lights to Hans Zimmer sounds absolutely fantastic, and they're not even burned in yet. I can't even wait until they are, but what choice do I have, right?
dt880smile.png

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #2,083 of 3,203
  I've had my Mad Dogs for a few days now, and oh my god, I'm in love. EDM is a blast to listen to, and yet, acoustic tracks are so detailed! Everything from Pretty Lights to Hans Zimmer sounds absolutely fantastic, and they're not even burned in yet. I can't even wait until they are, but what choice do I have, right?
dt880smile.png

They are pretty awesome indeed .... I dont seem to remember much if any change on burn in. From my recollection they are pretty much 'as is' straight from the box. 

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #2,084 of 3,203
  They are pretty awesome indeed .... I dont seem to remember much if any change on burn in. From my recollection they are pretty much 'as is' straight from the box. 

After an afternoon and overnight burn-in, they sounded much better to me personally. Maybe I'm just hearing things, I don't know.
Whatever the case, they sound amazing now.

Dec 25, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #2,085 of 3,203
Hm...discovered Mad Dogs headphones after looking for the overall best headphones for and under $300.
Over my time researching, I did not find/read any flaws to this nice thang, and while checking it out on their website it looks beautiful. that amount of cushioning will definitely help with confort and isolating sound.
I think that the bass on the mad dogs are not as exaggerated as it is on the Beats, but I'm alright with that.

So my planned set up with this is the Schiit Modi and Magni.
I obviously know its not the best but it performs as well/like the O2/ODAC for cheaper and a nicer look.
Schiit FAQ says it can drive orthos like mad dogs quite well. DACs I think I don't need to go overkill with, as I would prefer it over PCIe sound cards.
But is there another great amp that for around the same cost or a little higher under $150 can drive these even better than the Magni?

Thanks, geogga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back