**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 6, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #526 of 3,203
Quote:
Well hasn't audeze been working on this headphone for a really long time, like a year or somthin. I realize audeze is a smaller company and it will take while but if they haven't done anything in a year I wouldn't get my hopes up. I thought I saw jude do a review and he said it was meh anyways. With the mad dog scaling the way it does I might try a closed audeze out but very doubtful if I'd buy one, it would really take a hell of a performance.

You sourced this info from where?

Jude actually liked how the closed-backs sounded. This was back at last year's RMAF. 

Audez'e has been showing off the prototype for some time now, it seems they weren't satisfied with the
results and have now gone back to the drawing board. 

I agree they have plenty of competition from the likes of MD to Paradox and Fostex.

Jul 6, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #527 of 3,203
A new NFB-10ES2 was just released.

This is the "usual" single-transformer-all-in-one DAC/Amp/Preamp featuring the ES9018 chip.
Think of it as a balanced Compass 2 which should well compliment the new balanced Mad Dogs!

Up to this point I have been considering the Audio-GD NFB10.32 for the balanced Mad Dogs. Have you paired ES9018 chip (Compass)with the MD?

Jul 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #528 of 3,203
  You sourced this info from where?

Jude actually liked how the closed-backs sounded. This was back at last year's RMAF. 

Audez'e has been showing off the prototype for some time now, it seems they weren't satisfied with the
results and have now gone back to the drawing board. 

I agree they have plenty of competition from the likes of MD to Paradox and Fostex.

Jul 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #529 of 3,203
Quote:
I sourced the info from here. Didn't jude do that review a year ago, you said last year rmaf. Maybe it hasn't been a year but it's close I think. I can't remember the lcd thread but there was some discussion on what the hold up was and everyone seem to think that audeze was moving in the direction of the lcd-4. With the massive following of lcd 2 and 3 owners and the bump in price and profit it makes perfect sense to me.

If the mad dog didn't scale as well as it does then I would say go for it. At least in my and many other people's opinion a mad dog can be brought to near lcd level with the right amp and it's closed.

There was no review. It's been a prototype. Discussion always takes place, er, speculation.

MD take the cake for best value. TH900 and TH600 are both very good though, and are
more direct Audez'es competition. Where they decide to price the closed-back,
if it ever surfaces is very interesting.

Jul 6, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #530 of 3,203
A LCD-2 is $1k and a LCD-3 is $2k. How much do you guy expect from a LCD-4 or a closed LCD?
biggrin.gif
. One question for people who listened the Mad Dog and LCD-2. How many percent Mad Dog is when you compared two? Thanks.

Jul 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #531 of 3,203
Exactly 85%. 
size]
 I don't really want to get into a debate again. They certainly share some similarities. I love value and am very pleased to get a much less expensive hp that shared some qualities of a $1k hp. 

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #535 of 3,203
Ordered a pair of Mad Dogs yesterday. Coming from US to Australia so probably 2 weeks till arrival. Will be very interested to compare to my HE-400s and 500s. Regardless, been wanting a good comfy closed pair for quite some time.

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #536 of 3,203
Quote:
Exactly 85%. 
size]
 I don't really want to get into a debate again. They certainly share some similarities. I love value and am very pleased to get a much less expensive hp that shared some qualities of a $1k hp. 

Wow, very PC of you 
biggrin.gif
.  85% +/- is a fair enough number, if one had to pick a number, maybe 90% for me.  I am much happier with my MD's than I would be with the LCD2.  I know how good the MD's are, and what I paid for them.  I would also know what I paid for the LCD2's, and the value proposition just isn't there for me.  The LCD2's are just not enough better - in fact for my use (closed and comfortable required) they are not better at all.  The MD's are closed, and way, way more comfortable.

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #537 of 3,203
Comfort and value make a real difference for me and can often be the deciding factor. The fact that the MD sound so much better than their sticker price is a bonus for me. 

Jul 6, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #538 of 3,203
The way I have my T50rp tuned they sound a lot like my GR01, except that the T50rp has better bass extension and of course stronger bass slam/impact. Overall they sound pretty close though. The GR01 is my portable used with my GS4, and my T50rp are my sittin on the couch at home headphone which get used with my E17. 
Quote:

I have limited iem experience, but the gr07 does sound similar. 

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #539 of 3,203
Ordered a pair of Mad Dogs yesterday. Coming from US to Australia so probably 2 weeks till arrival. Will be very interested to compare to my HE-400s and 500s. Regardless, been wanting a good comfy closed pair for quite some time.

Please post your comparisons as I will be purchasing one of the 3

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #540 of 3,203
Quote:
A LCD-2 is $1k and a LCD-3 is $2k. How much do you guy expect from a LCD-4 or a closed LCD?
biggrin.gif
. One question for people who listened the Mad Dog and LCD-2. How many percent Mad Dog is when you compared two? Thanks.

50% +/- 50% 
tongue.gif

To be short, the treble is better on the LCD2 by a bit, and the LCD2 definitely sounds more open. They share the same sound sig though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back