MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #2,116 of 2,843
Borrowed my friends Ether and compared them to my HD650.

I felt like the Ether was very easily powered. It is built so well, probably the best built headphone I've seen. Sadly the sound, just doesn't cut it for the price. I felt the Ether and HD650 where about equals. The bass impact was better on the HD650, micro detail, mids went to the 650 too. The treble on the Ether seems exaggerated for space and detail. I can't personally believe people pay this much money for the Ether, it was actually funny considering the price.

The HD650, I think is a better buy hands down. I know it's probably not fair considering the 650 scale and also have a better pedigree but for the price of the Ether I expect much more! I thought the Ether was very good for work it didn't have a the natural presentation I desire. I also got a chance to try the Alpha Prime...just no.

There was a version of the Mad Dog that was actually really good but it got revised. Looking forward to trying the closed Ether. It's a shame there's so much rubbish coming out recently that exaggerates the response to get false detail.

Dec 1, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #2,117 of 2,843
Borrowed my friends Ether and compared them to my HD650.

I felt like the Ether was very easily powered. It is built so well, probably the best built headphone I've seen. Sadly the sound, just doesn't cut it for the price. I felt the Ether and HD650 where about equals. The bass impact was better on the HD650, micro detail, mids went to the 650 too. The treble on the Ether seems exaggerated for space and detail. I can't personally believe people pay this much money for the Ether, it was actually funny considering the price.

The HD650, I think is a better buy hands down. I know it's probably not fair considering the 650 scale and also have a better pedigree but for the price of the Ether I expect much more! I thought the Ether was very good for work it didn't have a the natural presentation I desire. I also got a chance to try the Alpha Prime...just no.

There was a version of the Mad Dog that was actually really good but it got revised. Looking forward to trying the closed Ether. It's a shame there's so much rubbish coming out recently that exaggerates the response to get false detail.
I'm sure glad we don't all hear the same. Just as you may have found the Ether to not be to your liking/tastes, my experience is just the opposite. 

Bottom line is whatever headphone one uses to listen to music with does the experience move them to a euphoric/uplifting/positive listening experience? Then weather it be a $5000 dollar headphone or a $20 dollar set of IEM's its all about the way the music moves one.
L3000.gif
L3000.gif
L3000.gif

I know that I SMH at some of the prices that are out there for headphones but I don't put down what someone uses or likes because I think it sounds/looks off to me.
If it sounds good to me that's what really matters....
atsmile.gif

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #2,119 of 2,843
Can you elaborate on what setup did you use to test? amp/dac/dap? tracks used? file sample rate? compared to any other headphones?

i think people are a bit skeptical at your very one sided reply,

could you explain the reasons as to why you dismissed the alpha primes in just 2 words? not that it affects me because i own none of those 3 headphones, but i find it difficult understand the circumstance that headphones that are generally held in such high regard are dismissed so easily.

I also feel that it is unnecessary to call it a robbery. no one forces anyone to buy anything. if you can have audio nirvana at a lower price point your wallet surely thanks you. That sort of discussion belongs in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/769832/companies-that-take-advantage-of-audio-enthusiasts

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #2,120 of 2,843
The Ether I used out of the Mojo to Project Ember. I also tried on the Schiit Asgard II and Lyr. I personally don't like Dans tunings so don't really trust his ears when it comes to tuning headphones but I heard a lot about the Ether and went into it with an open mind. I loved everything about it build wise! very comfortable.

Soon as I fired them up I noticed right away the low bass was missing which was strange. The came the dry vocals and exaggerated top end. I've met a lot of people at headfi meets and it's amazing how many don't know what a good headphone actually sounds like, they just read reviews and it spreads.

The Ether had some good imagining but micro detail sucked. The HD650 I had next to it was the better all-round headphone. I can buy 10 HD650's for the price of the Ether,.and it sounds better. 

It sounded like a 400-600 at the very most and that's being nice for the build and the cables.

As for the Alpha Primes, we took them apart, wanted to see what the difference was etc and I'm disappointed in the actual mods to drivers, the work that was done compared to the price, and the laziness of keeping the same headband, cheap plastic cups. Gid cable though! the sound lacked again, resolution and micro detail, this headphone was the biggest robbery of them all. 

I've not heard the closed Ether yet. I know the Ether was originally meant to be closed so hopefully there's improvements but judging by previous models, I'm not not hopeful at all.

To those who enjoy the Ether, good for you guys.

Enjoy.

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #2,121 of 2,843
Enlightening statement number one.

"I personally don't like Dan's tunings so don't really trust his ears when it comes to tuning headphones but I heard a lot about the Ether and went into it with an open mind."

Conclusion...
MrSpeaker does not make hps that you enjoy listening to.

Enlightening statement number two.

"The HD650 I had next to it was the better all-round headphone. I can buy 10 HD650's for the price of the Ether,. and it sounds better."

Conclusion...
You like the Sennheiser HD 650s.

The takeaway...
The hps that Dan makes are not tuned like the HD 650s so they are not a good match for you.

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #2,122 of 2,843
Relax guys. Somebody just like oranges and hates apples. And others vise versa. Once that's establish it doesn't matter what those apples are priced at they won't like it. We who enjoy the Ethers can continue to enjoy it while the others can enjoy what they like.

Dec 1, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #2,128 of 2,843
  Has anyone with the tuning kit for the Ether C tried it with the Ether?  

I am new tothis thread... can some one direct me to the " tuning kit for the Ether C " please.  What is it ? what for ?

.  Thanks

Dec 1, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #2,130 of 2,843
It's a set of pads that you stick in (or under) the earpads that attenuate the high end to taste. I believe it comes with 4 black pads and 2 white pads, with the white pads being a stronger effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back